PDA

View Full Version : Hiker Angel

Bags4266
10-16-2009, 14:14
Hello All,
Small Story. I started my hike on Wed. from the Del Water Gap heading South as far as 6 days would get me. I wasn't prepared for the 3 inches of snow that hit near Palerton on Thurs. My thoughts were to get to the Outerbridge Shelter but with my boots were soaked through they would be frozen by day light. I then thought I get a room, I looked through my guide when I hit Danielsville and saw lodging, however it was a B&B starting at $100.00 a night. Its now 3pm I'M soaked and the thought of getting to Palmerton looked bleak.
I then saw Carl Rush's name and number and that he might provide a shuttle. I gave him a call and he said he be there in 20 min. After getting slushed by 2 pickup trucks waitng at the trail head Carl showed up. Great man he has hiked the AT and the PCT several times as he told. He has been in my position and has been helped by others as well. I offered money and he refused, he took me into Palermton Borough Hall were I spent the night drying off.
Also thanks to GIRL SCOUT TROOP #1038 who provided the goodee bag to thru-hikers it was a nice touch! And many thanks to the Town of Palmerton for offering us a place to stay!
Sorry it was so long it started as a short story.

Spokes
10-16-2009, 14:37
Great story and proof once again that "It always works out in the end".

Blissful
10-16-2009, 20:19
Palmerton is a great trail town. I got a free goodie bag, free lemonade, free watermelon, free apple...not that I was looking for it, but it was the kindess of people there. PA rocks (literally) :)

Ex-Franchisee
10-17-2009, 17:19
Thank god you didn't have to hike down to Palmerton (the Lehiegh River) in the snow. In my personal opinion, that's the worse drop in PA. I did it in the rain, and it sucked. I couldn't imagine it in the snow.

TOW
10-17-2009, 19:53
Cool Story, Thanx For Sharing.......

mikec
10-17-2009, 22:00
I couldn't imagine going over that stretch between Palmerton and Danielsville in the snow. BTW, I stayed at that B&B when I sectioned that stretch. It's a nice place and yes, it was $100. But I got dinner, breakfast, a night out of the rain and the lady that owns it gave me a shuttle back to the trail.