PDA

View Full Version : Question about a flip-flop

Pooja Blue
08-11-2004, 04:46
Still off the trail with plantar faciitis BUT thanks to my podiatrist my hopes are back up again for finishing my thruhike (I left the trail at the midpoint marker in PA).

I won't be able to restart until late August and I'll be averaging more like 10 mile days (to prevent reinjury), so now I'm looking at a flipflop. That would mean completing in PA around the middle of December. Can anyone give me feedback on the feasibility of this? I'm a little worried about when this schedule places me in the Whites. Any input much appreciated while I figure out how to finish my hike. Open to other itineraries, too. Thanks.

Blue Jay
08-11-2004, 07:35
It's feasible. You will have some cold weather but many like hiking then. You'll go through Mosquito Hell without a bite. As for the Whites, you may have to wait for a good weather window or skip them for another time. You will be hiking through the best of the color in New England. Have a great time.

Spirit Walker
08-11-2004, 11:49
It isn't likely to be all that cold in the mid-Atlantic, though it may be wet. You may be hiking in hunting season though, so be sure to get some orange gear (i.e. the AT sells a bright orange pack cover). I envy you hiking New England during leaf season; we were too early.

Pooja Blue
08-11-2004, 21:17
Does that mean rain but not a lot of snow? Also, is the AT empty then (will I be able to get shelter space to get out of the rain) or are there lots of overnight hikers still out, enjoying the foliage?