PDA

View Full Version : snowshoes for feb. start?

sarahgirl
10-16-2009, 17:13
This question is directed at those who either live/hiked, or started a thru in early february: I will be starting, at springer obviously, first week of Feb. Does this warrant snowshoes? I understand the weather is predictable, but this purchase isnt something I want to do down there, I can get a discount on a pair here before I leave.

Whatcha think?

Please and thank you :D

Egads
10-16-2009, 17:21
no snow shoes required in GA

Mags
10-16-2009, 17:30
Overkill indeed. You do not need any traction devices either (that's usually the next question asked. :) )

Diablo
10-16-2009, 17:31
I agree no snowshoes needed in GA or NC in Feb. They are too heavy for a thru-hiker. The only icy sections of the trail that were a problem were in the smokys (Clingman's can be tough when it's all ice). A good alternative is Yak Traks which slip over your boots & give you traction.

Diablo '07

"The snow drives back the foot that's slow & don't you know the winds of Thor are blowing cold." Led Zepplin

sarahgirl
10-16-2009, 17:48
Guess I could have looked here first http://www.farmersalmanac.com/weather/a/could-this-winters-weather-add-to-economic-woes

Looks to be brisk and wet with normal snowfall precipitation.

So I should leave the snow stakes behind as well?

sarahgirl
10-16-2009, 17:51
Guess I could have looked here first http://www.farmersalmanac.com/weather/a/could-this-winters-weather-add-to-economic-woes

Looks to be brisk and wet with normal snowfall precipitation.

So I should leave the snow stakes behind as well?

Disregard that link...it was for last year.

Mags
10-16-2009, 18:15
Re: Yak Traxx

Very mixed review of those. They don't seem to hold up in real-world conditions. Use for getting the mail. ;)

Though meant for trail running, this article gives a great overview of traction devices for lighter footwear.
(http://web.archive.org/web/20080503033404/http://www.mountainrunning.com/features/february_08/index.html) \ The only review missing is for in-step (4 pt) crampons. (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___33054?CS_003=2477120&CS_010=33054) In-step crampons are a bit impractical for trailrunning and/or for some lighter footwear. However, if you use traditional boots, the four pt. crampons have proven to be a good option for hikers in icy, but non-technical, conditions.

IMO, (again, just my opinion), if you have a good pair of shoes and poles, you probably don't need traction devices for any of the AT down south for extended periods of time. Is it worth carrying the extra weight for a short stretch of trail? Some say yes, some say no.

FWIW, I hiked around the same time (during an El Nino year no less..lots of snow down south that year!) and did not use traction devices OR snow stakes. As always, YMMV.

http://www.pmags.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1956&g2_serialNumber=3&g2_GALLERYSID=119b28e3dc3f09387b46a5aa240c9c76
The sunny south! :D

Walkie Talkie
10-16-2009, 18:52
Whew, I was afraid we were going to need the snow shoes. I have yak tracks but I don't think they would hold up for more then one day on the rocky AT.

Wingman

Mags
10-16-2009, 19:03
Whew, I was afraid we were going to need the snow shoes. I have yak tracks but I don't think they would hold up for more then one day on the rocky AT.

I doubt they would to be honest. I know people who have there here...and they curse them.

I also find them strewn about the trails because they seem to always fall off people's shoes (that's the standard version).

They may work for a casual day hike once-in-a-while, but anything rocky/rooty and for extend periods of time? Again, I've seen and heard very mixed reviews.

If I were to get something, I'd get the Kahtoolas (mentioned in the article I linked). Much more durable and versatile than the Yak Trax. The only disadvantage of Kahtoolas is that the YakTrax pro weighs 3 oz vs. ~12 oz for the medium Kahtoolas. But, well, if something does not work...it does not matter how light they are. :) Again, if you use the YakTrax for short periods of time (and are willing to take them on/off as needed...which could be a big PITA), then they may be OK.

DavidNH
10-16-2009, 19:40
Overkill indeed. You do not need any traction devices either (that's usually the next question asked. :) )

No traction devices? what if you get an ice storm up at 3000 + foot elevation and the trail gets so slippery hiking becomes nearly impossible? also, can't one get several inches of very slippery wet snow even in GA when you are at 4000 + elevations? I would think one would at least want stabilicers, if not actual crampons.

david

kayak karl
10-16-2009, 19:45

Wingman
the trail ripped up my Yak-Craps in 4 hours. i used instep crypons. they were great help after freezing snow and rain. i would not of been able to climb out of Newfound Gap without them, all hikers ahead of me turned back.

Lone Wolf
10-16-2009, 19:53
This question is directed at those who either live/hiked, or started a thru in early february: I will be starting, at springer obviously, first week of Feb. Does this warrant snowshoes? I understand the weather is predictable, but this purchase isnt something I want to do down there, I can get a discount on a pair here before I leave.

Whatcha think?

you don't need snowshoes on the southern AT at any time

TOW
10-16-2009, 19:55

Whatcha think?

Yak Trax are all you will really need...........

Mags
10-16-2009, 20:09
No traction devices? what if you get an ice storm up at 3000 + foot elevation and the trail gets so slippery hiking becomes nearly impossible? also, can't one get several inches of very slippery wet snow even in GA when you are at 4000 + elevations? I would think one would at least want stabilicers, if not actual crampons.

david

*I* still say no. Did you see my photo from those type of conditions. :) I did fine with poles and shoes..but that's me.

This is the Appalachian Trail in the south in Feb.,not Colorado or New England. If people want to carry 12 oz "just in case" it's not going to hurt...but, may not be useful. As always YMMV. You can always mail them home in March. (Remember, YakTrax do not seem to hold up for extended periods of time)

BTW..why such an early start?

Mags
10-16-2009, 20:16
the trail ripped up my Yak-Craps in 4 hours. i used instep crypons. they were great help after freezing snow and rain. i would not of been able to climb out of Newfound Gap without them, all hikers ahead of me turned back.

You also started January 1st! :) A month or so later makes a huge difference esp in the Southern Apps.

Anyway, this is just my opinion. Some people are more comfortable in the conditions I posted in the above photo. Some are not. At the most we are talking a months worth of hauling a half a pound of so extra equipment. It won't make or break the hike. If the extra $50 or so gives you a piece of mind, then go for it. It is your hike...and, well, again, it really should not make or break your hike.

Have fun!

Blissful
10-16-2009, 20:20
Yeah my hubby's Yak "craps" (I like that) broke on the way to Lassen Peak this summer. They're junk.

Lone Wolf
10-16-2009, 20:24
you don't need snowshoes on the southern AT at any timeor Yak things. just walk

Long feet
10-16-2009, 21:25
I'm not sure if anyone has made any distinction between the Yakrtax and Yakrtax Pros. I bought the pros a couple of years ago. They have been great for walking the dog after an ice storm or two, but I don't have any trail time on them.

Walkie Talkie
10-16-2009, 21:44
As far as I know the pros are just the regular ones with a $10 peice of velcro accross the top.

What are some of the highs and low temps to be expected for a early Feb start?

kayak karl
10-16-2009, 21:48
As far as I know the pros are just the regular ones with a $10 peice of velcro accross the top.

What are some of the highs and low temps to be expected for a early Feb start?
i saw -5 degrees at nite and 65 during the day beginning of feb.

TOW
10-16-2009, 22:02
Yeah my hubby's Yak "craps" (I like that) broke on the way to Lassen Peak this summer. They're junk.
I've never had a problem with them other than I did not like having to wear them. Of course you got to get the right size for your shoe.

Truly though the only place I ever had to wear them were up in New England in December and January.....really I do not think in the south you are going to have to worry about it that much, but I still say carry a pair......

sarahgirl
10-16-2009, 23:06

Wingman

Hey...my wingman! Good to know your username:)

i saw -5 degrees at nite and 65 during the day beginning of feb.

I will be prepared for the cold...just don't know about snow. I saw new england expecting blizzards this feb, according to farmers almanac. hopefully that doesnt effect the southern area too much.

Hey karl...what kind of UQ did you use? Did you use a topquilt or sock?

Ox97GaMe
10-16-2009, 23:50
I have hiked all over GA/TN/NC during the winter months. Most of the time, you will not need snowshoes or crampons or YaxTrax. You can expect that there will be snow in Feb and March on the AT. Normally, this might amount to anywhere from a couple inches to about 2 ft. In most cases, it melts within a couple days. you will seldom have weeks of snow on the ground. You will, however deal with daytime melting and nighttime freezing which will make the trails slick in the mornings.

The exception to this rule is when you get to mountain peaks. Anything over 3500 ft are likely to have prolonged periods where snow is on the ground. In some places, especially over 5000 ft, it is not uncommon to get accumulations of up to 3 1/2 ft and drifts even higher. This is especially true in the Smokies, the Roans, and the balds. The good news is that the higher elevations (except in the Smokies) are relative close to road crossings and there are folks hiking to the summits almost every weekend. The trails should be relatively easy to follow and likely to be packed down.

Do keep a watch on the weather conditions whenever possible. There have been temps recorded in the subzero range and there is an occassional blizzard that passes through the region. You might want to try to plan to be in a trail town during those times if you get a decent 3-5 day forecast.

Have a great hike. Maybe we will see you up in the Smokies.

The Solemates
10-17-2009, 10:18
we started 1 feb, and have done extensive hiking in the southeast in the winter. i've never "needed" any type of traction device...snowshoes, crampons, instep magigers, yak sax, ice axe, or even hiking poles for that matter. i always seem to manage:rolleyes:

saimyoji
10-17-2009, 10:42
another simple idea is to get some hex screws and screw them directly into the lugs on your shoes. you can out them in when you need em and take em out when you don't, and they'll weigh next to nothing.

kayak karl
10-17-2009, 11:05
Hey karl...what kind of UQ did you use? Did you use a topquilt or sock?

mt washington UQ (jacks r better). Golite Adrenaline 0 degree as over quilt.
this winter for over quilt will be using a JRB Rocky Mountain Sniveller w/hood. will save me a pound and won't need puff jacket.
i have NEVER been cold in my hammock:sun, even in those 12-14 hour nites:D

Blissful
10-17-2009, 11:16
Actually my Yak trax are still holding up but his did not and broke. He'd barely worn them and had the right size. But we did take them on and off to aovid walking on volcanic rock. They just ought to hold up better than that. Cheap coils.

garlic08
10-17-2009, 11:22

They are. The strap just helps keep them on. Like Mags said, they're great for a trip to the mail box or maybe to help push a car out of a snow bank. Put more than 4 hours on them even on pavement and they'll probably break. One or two sharp rock edges on a trail and they're toast.

There is a downside to more aggressive traction devices, too. Any real crampon that's sharp enough to really help in hard water ice is sharp enough to penetrate your shoe or boot, too. If you glance off a rock (easier to do with steel points on your feet) and step on your foot, you'll really notice it if you're wearing crampons.

sarahgirl
10-17-2009, 17:34
we started 1 feb, and have done extensive hiking in the southeast in the winter. i've never "needed" any type of traction device...snowshoes, crampons, instep magigers, yak sax, ice axe, or even hiking poles for that matter. i always seem to manage:rolleyes:

I think the general consensus is to go without...think that's what I'm gonna do. Save my money for a motel stay somewhere:)

mt washington UQ (jacks r better). Golite Adrenaline 0 degree as over quilt.
this winter for over quilt will be using a JRB Rocky Mountain Sniveller w/hood. will save me a pound and won't need puff jacket.
i have NEVER been cold in my hammock:sun, even in those 12-14 hour nites:D

Thanks...I'm still working on this part of my setup. Wingman suggests maybe a shenandoah with a zero degree bag. I will be using it with my clark that has down pocket quilts and a foot end insulator, and a sleeping pad. That way when I switch it out for the blackbird I will already have the summer quilt. I dunno, gonna give it a try this winter.

Snowleopard
10-18-2009, 11:06
For CT north:
When needed, microspikes (Kahtoola), stabilicers or instep crampons. They're a good idea from CT north if the forecast is for cold. Today they'd be useful in Mass. (snowing here and in Berkshires). Usually below tree line, you can hold onto bushes and trees or go off trail to get past an icy spot, but this slows you down.

In the White Mountains it's a different story. Anything beyond a 1 or 2 day trip you should bring snowshoes. Above tree line in NH, from here on real crampons might be a good idea. I've carried instep crampons in NH in August and didn't feel stupid.

Down south, I don't have experience, but I thought there are a lot of ice storms.

TwoForty
10-18-2009, 12:28
I've seen 8in of snow (so it was actually a lot deeper) and I never wished I had snowshoes. Much of the trail is too narrow anyways due to all the brush. Microspikes might be a nice idea though.

sarahgirl
10-27-2009, 04:31
http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/Kahtoola-MICROspikes-Traction-System/KHT0012M.html

Like these? They look like an ok investment. Affordable. I will be attached to my dog, and just wonder how much my balance will be compromised. Might not be a bad idea. We've been leash training, but havent had the chance to hike in ice/snowy conditions. Thanks for the heads up.

kayak karl
10-27-2009, 05:02
http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/Kahtoola-MICROspikes-Traction-System/KHT0012M.html

Like these? They look like an ok investment. Affordable. I will be attached to my dog, and just wonder how much my balance will be compromised. Might not be a bad idea. We've been leash training, but havent had the chance to hike in ice/snowy conditions. Thanks for the heads up.
i used these http://www.basegear.com/cmiinstep.html you can find them cheaper if you shop around

sarahgirl
10-27-2009, 05:13
i used these http://www.basegear.com/cmiinstep.html you can find them cheaper if you shop around

Ooh! Thanks for the link, those are cheaper.

I know you started a bit earlier, but were you glad you brought them along?

kayak karl
10-27-2009, 05:29
Ooh! Thanks for the link, those are cheaper.

I know you started a bit earlier, but were you glad you brought them along?
i sent them home at neels as advised. had them sent back at fontana and was glad to have them. some mornings the trail had a thin coating of ice. they were a big help walking up and down hills. if you replace the straps with line you can cut the weight.

sarahgirl
10-27-2009, 05:35
cool, sounds good.

Egads
10-27-2009, 06:32
I did the Smokies on two sections Thanksgiving weekend in icy conditions & week before Christmas in a fresh snow and never needed any traction devices.

This isn't the Rockies

kayak karl
10-27-2009, 07:39
I did the Smokies on two sections Thanksgiving weekend in icy conditions & week before Christmas in a fresh snow and never needed any traction devices.

This isn't the Rockies
i did it in jan and did need them. shes talking thur. conditions change. its easy to slip and slid for a day or two, but for a week it gets old.

Snowleopard
10-27-2009, 12:42

Yes, those are the ones -- Kahtoola microspikes.
General opinions up here on alternatives:
Yaktrax -- OK for walking down your driveway. People around here seem to not like them for hiking.
Stabilicers -- Studded snowtires for the feet. Decent but not as good as microspikes, heavier. If you already have them, they work. I have a pair of imitation stabilicers and like the microspikes better. http://www.rei.com/product/760283
Instep crampons (kayakkarl's link) -- they're a bit like walking with a piece of 2x4 strapped to your shoe (i.e., uncomfortable, especially on rock, OK on snow). You used to be able to get these cheap; for the price they are now I'd get the microspikes. With instep crampons, just remember that you only have traction in the middle of your boot, not toe or heel.

Snowshoes -- if I knew there was going to be 2' of snow, I'd want snowshoes unless there were enough hikers to pack it down. This doesn't seem to be the usual case down south.

Going through deep wet snow watch yourself for signs of hypothermia. In fact, read up on hypothermia; there's a good article on it on WB someplace.

A trick -- gaiters are nice when you're walking through snow. If you don't have them wrap tape around the bottom of your pants to seal them off.

It's beautiful when there's snow and it can be lots of fun hiking in winter.

10-K
10-27-2009, 13:44
Based on the Winter hiking I've done, which includes a GSMNP ice storm in March, I'd forget the crampons and spend the money on a good pair of gaiters.

Those really make a difference after tramping through the snow for hours or when the temps go above freezing and all that stuff melts - turning the trail into a creek.

(note: I did land on my rear more than a few times sliding on ice...)

MedicineMan
10-27-2009, 15:17
I've done the smokies on the AT 3 times, live in the Roan area...Kayak Karls instep crampon recommendation is a good one--low weight big return when needed. Microspikes are also a fantastic product that will hold up, they have an advantage over instep crampons in that the instep cramp will torque your foot when the crampon hits something solid only one one spike-the Microspikes won't do that.
Another idea used by Flying Brian in his Triple Crown is to carry a small bit driver (1oz) and hex head screws. He would screw them into his shoe treads when needed, remove them when not. Tot. weight driver and srews was around 2 ounces and gave him plenty of traction on ice.

sarahgirl
10-27-2009, 15:39
Yes, those are the ones -- Kahtoola microspikes.
General opinions up here on alternatives:
Yaktrax -- OK for walking down your driveway. People around here seem to not like them for hiking.
Stabilicers -- Studded snowtires for the feet. Decent but not as good as microspikes, heavier. If you already have them, they work. I have a pair of imitation stabilicers and like the microspikes better. http://www.rei.com/product/760283
Instep crampons (kayakkarl's link) -- they're a bit like walking with a piece of 2x4 strapped to your shoe (i.e., uncomfortable, especially on rock, OK on snow). You used to be able to get these cheap; for the price they are now I'd get the microspikes. With instep crampons, just remember that you only have traction in the middle of your boot, not toe or heel.

Snowshoes -- if I knew there was going to be 2' of snow, I'd want snowshoes unless there were enough hikers to pack it down. This doesn't seem to be the usual case down south.

Going through deep wet snow watch yourself for signs of hypothermia. In fact, read up on hypothermia; there's a good article on it on WB someplace.

A trick -- gaiters are nice when you're walking through snow. If you don't have them wrap tape around the bottom of your pants to seal them off.

It's beautiful when there's snow and it can be lots of fun hiking in winter.

For what uses would traction only in the middle of your boot be good for? I guess I don't understand.

Based on the Winter hiking I've done, which includes a GSMNP ice storm in March, I'd forget the crampons and spend the money on a good pair of gaiters.

Those really make a difference after tramping through the snow for hours or when the temps go above freezing and all that stuff melts - turning the trail into a creek.

(note: I did land on my rear more than a few times sliding on ice...)

You see I tend to fall down a lot when I hike without the presence of ice or snow...and yes, I plan to take gaitors:D

kayak karl
10-27-2009, 15:48
I've done the smokies on the AT 3 times, live in the Roan area...Kayak Karls instep crampon recommendation is a good one--low weight big return when needed. Microspikes are also a fantastic product that will hold up, they have an advantage over instep crampons in that the instep cramp will torque your foot when the crampon hits something solid only one one spike-the Microspikes won't do that.
Another idea used by Flying Brian in his Triple Crown is to carry a small bit driver (1oz) and hex head screws. He would screw them into his shoe treads when needed, remove them when not. Tot. weight driver and srews was around 2 ounces and gave him plenty of traction on ice.
that zip-screw thing sounds good. i might put them in my construction boots this year.