PDA

View Full Version : Better equipment helps thru-hikers reach goal

SavageLlama
08-11-2004, 09:44
Better equipment helps thru-hikers reach goal
The Knoxville News-Sentinel (http://javascript<b></b>:NewWindow(%20'FIISrcDetails','?from=article&ids=kxvl');void(0);)
August 8, 2004

The Appalachian Trail Conference estimates that 1,535 people set out from Springer Mountain, Ga., this year to hike the entire Appalachian Trial.

That's a 14 percent drop over the northbound thru-hikers in 2003, and roughly equivalent to the number of starters in 1996.

The Appalachian Trail Conference bases its annual thru-hiker estimates on anecdotal information from sources along the Georgia section of the trail as well as signatures at trail registers.

The peak year was 2000, when 2,900 thru-hikers set out from Georgia to hike the trail's entire 2,167-mile length to Maine.

This year, for the first time, the conference changed its assumed drop-out rate along the trail's first 30-mile stretch between Amicalola Falls/Springer Mountain and Neels Gap from 20 to 15 percent.

Laurie Potteiger, information services coordinator for the Appalachian Trail Conference, said more northbound thru-hikers are completing the A.T. thanks to advances in lightweight gear, better access to trail information, and the use of trekking poles that may reduce knee injuries.

"This year in particular, applying the old formula of an assumed 20 percent drop-out rate resulted in figures that did not mesh with the Fontana Dam and Harpers Ferry numbers," Potteiger said.

Bob Miller, spokesman for Great Smoky Mountains National Park, said his research shows that in 2003, about 22 percent of those who set out from Georgia to complete the A.T. were successful, but that almost half of those who quit did so before reaching the Smokies.

TRAIL REPORTS

* Winton Porter, owner of Mountain Crossings: Season-end count of 1,305 thru-hikers from Neels Gap

* At Fontana Dam: Thru-hikers this year numbered 864 for March 1- May 31 -- down 16 percent from last year

* Shenandoah National Park: 11 percent decrease in northbound A.T. hikers (thru-hikers and section hikers combined) this year

* Harpers Ferry: As of July 7, 562 northbound thru-hikers had reached that point -- 83 fewer than at same date last year

Blue Jay
08-11-2004, 10:25
TRAIL REPORTS

* Winton Porter, owner of Mountain Crossings: Season-end count of 1,305 thru-hikers from Neels Gap

* At Fontana Dam: Thru-hikers this year numbered 864 for March 1- May 31 -- down 16 percent from last year

* Shenandoah National Park: 11 percent decrease in northbound A.T. hikers (thru-hikers and section hikers combined) this year

* Harpers Ferry: As of July 7, 562 northbound thru-hikers had reached that point -- 83 fewer than at same date last year

This must be the result of increased terrorism along the trail. I'll have Condi and Rumsfeld right on it. We'll change the alert level to sky blue pink.

Bear Magnet
08-11-2004, 14:18
Better equipment helps thru-hikers reach goal
Laurie Potteiger, information services coordinator for the Appalachian Trail Conference, said more northbound thru-hikers are completing the A.T. thanks to advances in lightweight gear, better access to trail information, and the use of trekking poles that may reduce knee injuries.
I think the internet has had a huge impact on thru-hiking. From what I had read and from people that I talked to, many earlier thru-hikers had no idea of what they were getting into. Now, it is fairly easy to get a better idea of what the trail is like and what equipment you need.

I hadn't hiked in 12 years before setting off last year, but thanks to a lot of research my equipment list was not too outlandish and I realized that there would be lots of ups and downs. :)

Bear Magnet
Jonathan Amato

tlbj6142
08-11-2004, 15:30
I wonder if that is really true. Those that want to prepare did 10 years ago without the Big I. And many still don't prepare today when you can get free access just about anywhere.

My brother was amazed at the number of folks that were totally clueless even North of the smokies. Heck, Chris mentioned that during his section hike of VA this year the hikers were greener than VA.

Some folks like to prepare, others don't. And some are too stubborn to change even when they see the light.