PDA

View Full Version : Budget For AT Airfare

Scruffy
10-16-2009, 23:02
I am working on my budget for the upcoming AT trip . I gave a good grip on food ,gear replacement, and hostel stays. But I have no idea about the airfare back from Maine. I havent flew since I was a tennager. So what should I budget for the airfare home? I will be flying into Knoxville, TN .Does Bangor have a "Lets Get Rid Of The Thru Hikers Fare":sun

garlic08
10-17-2009, 00:36
It's easy enough to get bus rides to Portland then a train to Boston, and then a flight out of there. Check Amtrak's website, then Expedia or Travelocity for airfare estimates. Pretend you are going to fly tomorrow or the next day to get worst-case estimates (ouch!). You probably won't be able to schedule a week or more in advance to get decent fares, but you might want to try when you see the last-minute fares. Once you leave Millinocket you'll just be a bum.

The Weasel
10-17-2009, 05:13
Best airfare prices are always found by using Kayak.com, although it doesn't include Southwest.

TW

Blissful
10-17-2009, 11:14
wow impressed with your budgeting I must say. :)
I'd think flying out of a major hub like Boston can save money if you can get down there via bus. But I have seen hikers take trains also.

Tagless
10-17-2009, 11:37
My wife (Tag-along) took the train home (out of Boston) to Georgia and were quite happy with that. It was much cheaper than flying and Amtrak allowed last minute rescheduling at no extra charge. You could connect with Amtrak further north in Portland as well.

rickb
10-17-2009, 12:01
Thanks for the Kayak tip, The Weasel.

I will use it for non AT trips.

Out of curiosity I looked up the price for a 1-way trip from Portland, MA to Atlanta for October 31st. $135 including the taxes. Five different carriers had multiple flights for $150 or under. That with a reservation a couple weeks in advance, of course.

mudhead
10-17-2009, 12:51
:)

The bus that goes south from BGR(Cyr?) goes to Logan and South Station, the last time I read a schedule.

modiyooch
10-17-2009, 12:52
also consider www.airtran.com (http://www.airtran.com) that airline is not listed on kayak.

Slo-go'en
10-17-2009, 15:28
Air fares are highly volitile and what they will be in 9 months is anyones guess. Your best bet is to bugget a lot of money, then check for fares when you get someplace in Maine and can guesstimate a finishing time. Midweek, major hub, non-holiday, booked at least 2 weeks in advance will give you the best deals.

Scruffy
10-17-2009, 16:35
Thanks All. I didnt even think about a train:eek: I Have never riden a train so that might be cool plus it might also help with the adjustment back to society.

Quoddy
10-17-2009, 16:35
Looking at flights from Portland, Maine to Knoxville the cost right now is $233. Two weeks ago I booked a flight from Portland to Ft. Myers, Florida for my brother... cost $110 including airport taxes.

whitelightning
10-17-2009, 16:59
a year ago I paid around $240 for a flight from Manchester, NH to Nashville, TN via Southwest. that flight was booked 3 days prior to departure.

From Millinocket I was able to hitch to Portland, ME. From there I took the Amtrak into NH where I had relatives pick me up. Though I could have taken the same train all the way to Boston. The train train ticket was fairly inexpensive.

If I were to budget transportation back, I'd probably plan on 300 or maybe 400 to be safe.

rcli4
10-17-2009, 17:00
Fly out of Bangor it is closer.

veggie steve
10-18-2009, 19:20
You can get a greyhound bus from Bangor MA to Boston.

Bearpaw
10-18-2009, 19:22
You may want to take the train all the way to DC. I was amazed at how reasonably priced it was. Then grab a flight from DC to Knoxville.

Jack Tarlin
10-18-2009, 19:35
Good luck on the train; last I checked Amtrak service to Tennessee was pretty spotty.

If you're gonna fly, look at Bangor or Boston.

Lastly, keep in mind that the fall's biggest hiker event, the ALDHA Gathering, is in early October in West Virginia (see www.aldha.org)

You may well find a ride down to the event from New England, and there'll be plenty of folks there heading back to Tennessee.

A long ways away but something to think about, maybe.

Scruffy
10-18-2009, 21:20
Good luck on the train; last I checked Amtrak service to Tennessee was pretty spotty.

If you're gonna fly, look at Bangor or Boston.

Lastly, keep in mind that the fall's biggest hiker event, the ALDHA Gathering, is in early October in West Virginia (see www.aldha.org (http://www.aldha.org))

You may well find a ride down to the event from New England, and there'll be plenty of folks there heading back to Tennessee.

A long ways away but something to think about, maybe.

Thanks Jack, I am guessimating I will finish in late Sept. so the meet up in WV would be a great ending or beginning for this wild dream of mine.