PDA

View Full Version : Walker Valley/Tremont area

mtpocket
10-17-2009, 17:24
Hello,

At the very beginning of the Middle Prong Trail, after crossing the walk bridge, there is a trail that goes off to the right. It is unmarked and unmaintained. The beginning of the trail follows the creek but soon crosses the creek multiple times and starts to follow an old railroad bed. I hiked about the first 1.5 miles of this trail last week. The reason for our turning back was the high water and difficult creek crossings.

I assume this trail eventually goes all the way to the AT. Can anyone give me any information on this trail such as milage to the AT and also what I might see along the way. I am hoping to try again when the water receeds.

Thanks

coheterojo
10-17-2009, 19:10
According to Kenneth Wise in his Hiking Trails of the Great Smoky Mountains it is the course of an old railroad line. Wise states:"The trace along Thunderhead Prong is an unmaintained manway leading to Defeat Ridge and Thunderhead Mountain."

Hope this helps.

mtpocket
10-17-2009, 20:05
coheterojo,

Thanks for your quick reply. The information is helpful. I wasn't really able to tell the direction other than it heading toward the AT. I have that book but found no mention of this particular trail. Maybe I should get my glasses out next time.

Ashepabst
10-23-2009, 16:39
i only made it about as far as you did. but i have an old map with this manway marked. PM me with your email addy and i'll send it.

mtpocket
10-24-2009, 08:22
Ashepabst,

That would be a great help. Thanks