PDA

View Full Version : Winter Hiking Inner and Outer Wear

Daydream Believer
10-17-2009, 23:41
Hi All,

I'm new here and new to backpacking trips in the winter. I've been mostly lurking but thought I'd say Hi and ask a question that has me a bit baffled.

I have been on REI and Campmor and looking at a baffling variety of vests, jackets, coats, fleece, parkas, etc... My husband and I were recently up at Springer and did a two day section hike ending at Gooch Gap. We hope to go back in mid to late November to hike about 3 days or so and possibly even section hike the AT through the winter up through GA into NC. With my business, I have more free time in the winter....so I expect we'll do more winter hiking as we go.

I would love any and all advice on what you all recommend for winter hiking inner and outer wear. Since I'm on a budget (like everyone) I'm looking to pick up the best buys for my money of the most versatile winter wear, and while I know clothing is kind of an individual thing....well...I'm sure there's some fairly failproof and necessary items folks can recommend. I don't want to be under dressed for the weather nor do I want to overpack and carry too much weight.

Thanks!

garlic08
10-18-2009, 01:09
If you have a local surplus store, you can probably get enough to start with there for a decent price. Look for an inexpensive down vest, a fleece, and a shell with a hood and enough room for lots of layers. Campmor is usually good, but you can't feel it and try it on. Wait until you know what you want before you go mail order. Try wool, poly and down, see what works for you in what combinations in different weather conditions. Some hikers like wool, some don't (it can itch). Some like poly, some don't (it can stink bad). Most love down but it's expensive. You don't have to look good out there, so you don't need to shop at REI.

Most important in winter comfort and safety is experience. If you get all sweated up and soak all your layers, you could be in danger. A different person with the same gear on the same trip might be perfectly comfortable. Try to develop an understanding of how insulation works by trapping air and how moisture destroys it, and how ventilation works to reduce moisture.

Mags
10-18-2009, 01:14
For budget items, Garlic has some good ideas. Surplus, the thrift store, big box store (Dick's, Sports Authority) and Wally-world type store (hunting section) will all have the basics for little money. The http://www.theunderwearguys.com/ , run by Fiddlehead here on WB, has long undies and related items and will give WB members a discount. :)

This article is meant more for the colder winters of Colorado (and similar), but may be instructive:
http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Outdoor-Writings/intro-to-snowshoeing.html

Rambler1
10-18-2009, 08:46
I use 3 layers

1. polyester long underwear - 2 pair, 1 wear/1 backup/sleep
2. glove liners
3. Hat + face mask/same material as long underwear
4. fleece jacket
5. Frogg Togg - top/bottom rain gear...super light
6. treeking pants..zip off bottoms
7. small umbrella

head/hands/neck/feet are we you lose most of your heat. Anything around the neck is vital. All you blood is exposed at the neck.

bigcranky
10-18-2009, 09:19
Here's my answer (from another thread):

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=487795&postcount=16

Some of my specific examples are pricey, but the basic layering system still works with whatever you can find.

Lyle
10-18-2009, 09:38
Generally for winter hiking, temps in the teens, I wear PolyPro or mid-weight wool longjohns, similar long sleeve shirt covered by a short sleeved wicking shirt (one of my summer shirts) with a wind shirt over this (could be your rain gear). Light wool or acrylic knit gloves and hat. If this doesn't cut it, then add a light fleece or synthetic insulating jacket/vest, something like a Thermawrap or MicroPuff (synthetic if you plan to hike in it), full rain gear with hood, balaclava, and shell mittens will add a LOT of warmth for your hands above the liners alone.

For camp, I carry an extra pair of dry longjohns (silk are warm and LIGHT), the insulating layers above (Unless you soaked them with sweat - your bad!), heavy and dry socks, Down vest/jacket, warmer hat or hood or balaclava, warmer gloves are a possibility (socks work in a pinch). If you expect real cold on a regular basis (single digits and below), then a REAL down jacket (with hood), down booties are a VERY welcome luxury for camp and in the sleeping bag. If you can't stay warm with this while mildly active in camp, you need to retire to your bag for the night.

As others have said, start cheap and practice, practice, practice. Layers are good, count on many lighter layers instead of one heavy layer, this goes for your hands too. Gloves inside shell mittens works real well for me. When choosing a hat/balaclava, I've found wool or knit acrylic much more comfortable to wear all day/night than fleece. Fleece seems to trap moisture and causes chapping.

Lots of good information already, and you already know it's a very personal choice on how to stay warm. Best bet is to do as garlic08 said and learn about how insulating layers work, then experiment. Many decent quality base layers and insulation layers can be had at the big box stores. Perfectly functional, possibly a bit heavier than top-of-the-line, but not necessarily.

Good luck and HAVE FUN!!!!

TwoForty
10-18-2009, 11:57
My method (year round) is to have a set of clothing for when moving, and a set when you are not. I found that when moving down to the upper 20's, all I needed was a shell and a midweight long sleeve zipneck baselayer. When I stop, I get pretty cold, so I bundle up with a thick down jacket.

Oddly enough, my first winter set up was pretty cheap. You can get the midweight baselayer for about $35 (stalk Steep and Cheap, or buy generic from Campmor/REI). For a shell, I used a frogg toggs set for about $40 or so. I used a $70 down jacket from Campmor that no longer exists. And "end of season" LL Bean down jacket on sale would work fine.

The main thing is moisture management, which means not piling everything on and getting all sweaty. It's okay to be a bit cool.

Also, good socks with boots that can keep your feet dry from precip. Of course a warm hat is a must. I also carry 3 different pairs of gloves, but my hands are picky.

Daydream Believer
10-18-2009, 15:28
Thanks for all the great replies. This information is very helpful in deciphering all the stuff for sale on the various sites as well as integrating what I already own into my pack.

Are the shells on the "parkas" they sell on Campmor much heavier than a good raincoat? I have a good Marmot raincoat but it is unlined and clearly a warm weather rain jacket.

Red Hat
10-18-2009, 19:38
I use my Marmot precip in cold weather as well. I just use it with something else. When hiking, usually just my base layer, but in camp, I add my down jacket.

bigcranky
10-18-2009, 20:26
I have a good Marmot raincoat but it is unlined and clearly a warm weather rain jacket.

A rain shell should be unlined. It's part of a layering system. If you are hiking, even in cold weather, having an insulated rain shell would be far too hot. When you stop, then an insulating layer goes under the rain shell as needed.

Doctari
10-18-2009, 20:54
FWIW: if you like winter camping: over at Hammock forums we are planning our yearly winter hangout in the Mt Rogers area, a good chance to test your winter gear in a safe environment with other winter camping enthusiasts. We are only a few miles from the road so you have a easy escape if need be.

We are still planning. Haven't even picked the site or date yet, but it is a great time among a sort of "brain trust" of winter campers. You DO NOT have to be a hammock camper to join us. :)

Blissful
10-18-2009, 20:58
You will need a good down jacket for camp. I saw that Lands End had a nice one this year that packs in its own pocket and under 1 lb. Don't know how warm it is, but it intrigued me. And they have unconditonal guarantee.

shelterbuilder
10-18-2009, 21:12
...Are the shells on the "parkas" they sell on Campmor much heavier than a good raincoat? I have a good Marmot raincoat but it is unlined and clearly a warm weather rain jacket.

I've used an unlined Goretex rain jacket as an over-layer for decades - in the winter-time, it will also stop the wind from ripping away precious heat.

Inexpensive, light-weight poly-pro can sometimes be found at your local K-Mart or Wal-Mart (usually in the hunting section) for around $15 for a top or bottom...good wicking base layer (the eventual odor problem is another issue). Good, cheap wool pants and shirts can sometimes be found at the local Goodwill or Salvation Army stores (or on-line at any of the military surplus sites for a bit more). I happen to like the poly-pro/wool combination, especially if the shirt is a long-sleeve with LOTS of buttons that can be buttoned/unbuttoned for moisture control. (Hint: better to hike cool than to hike hot and sweaty!)

One thing that I find indispensable for my overall comfort is a good, warm SLEEPING BAG! I can put up with almost anything during the day if I can get a good, warm night's sleep. My rule of thumb is to buy a bag that's "rated" for 10* colder than the coldest temperature I should expect - I can always unzip if I'm too warm, but there's a limited amount of clothing that I can put on if I'm cold.

Beyond this - experiment and practice...find what works for you.

Daydream Believer
10-18-2009, 22:35
FWIW: if you like winter camping: over at Hammock forums we are planning our yearly winter hangout in the Mt Rogers area, a good chance to test your winter gear in a safe environment with other winter camping enthusiasts. We are only a few miles from the road so you have a easy escape if need be.

We are still planning. Haven't even picked the site or date yet, but it is a great time among a sort of "brain trust" of winter campers. You DO NOT have to be a hammock camper to join us. :)

Thanks for the invitation! :D We are not that far from Mt Rogers so we may take you up on it. Sounds like fun!

Thanks again to all for the feedback. I am getting a much more clear picture of what is necessary and what isn't

Daydream Believer
10-18-2009, 22:38
A rain shell should be unlined. It's part of a layering system. If you are hiking, even in cold weather, having an insulated rain shell would be far too hot. When you stop, then an insulating layer goes under the rain shell as needed.

Thanks again for the feedback. I guess I have a lot to learn! So, it seems I have one important item covered now. :)

Daydream Believer
10-18-2009, 22:39
You will need a good down jacket for camp. I saw that Lands End had a nice one this year that packs in its own pocket and under 1 lb. Don't know how warm it is, but it intrigued me. And they have unconditonal guarantee.

Thanks! I will check it out. I like Lands End products.

shelterbuilder
10-19-2009, 20:22
DB, one thing to remember about winter hiking and heat/moisture management: no matter HOW you are dressed, if you are sweating noticably, then you are probably hiking TOO FAST for the way that you're dressed. Two solutions: 1.) remove some clothing to allow more heat and sweat to escape; 2.) slow down! (Sometimes, THE solution is a combination of both!)

Snowleopard
10-19-2009, 20:49
DB, one thing to remember about winter hiking and heat/moisture management: no matter HOW you are dressed, if you are sweating noticably, then you are probably hiking TOO FAST for the way that you're dressed. Two solutions: 1.) remove some clothing to allow more heat and sweat to escape; 2.) slow down! (Sometimes, THE solution is a combination of both!)
DB, shelterbuilder has it right. It's worth going out walking/hiking/running/xc skiing in winter around home to learn the skill of how to layer without overheating. The usual beginner mistake is to overdress. The dangerous beginner mistake is to not carry enough warm clothes for when you stop or when it gets colder or rains.

Some cheap sources in addition to the above tips:
Salvation army and thrift shops have wool and synthetic sweaters, wool shirts and pants, fleece jackets.
Discount stores have cheap fleece jackets. Get them in different sizes so you can put multiple layers on at once.
To some degree you have a tradeoff between weight and cost. If you find down vest or jackets you can afford that would be good. Remember down is not so good when it gets wet. Synthetic insulations are better for wet conditions.

Have fun!

WILLIAM HAYES
10-19-2009, 21:00
here is what I use in cold weather
while hiking- base layer light weight wool zip long sleeve and light weight wool tights (smartwool , Ibex tsminus 33 degrees)
marmot wind shirt
shorts and possum down skull cap
possum down gloves ( worn with OR gore tex mittens if it rains ) I take off the wind shirt and wear a marmot oracle rain jacket and marmot full zip rain pants if it rains
Darn tough socks
Salomon xcr trail runners

in camp
montbell thermawrap Jacket or integral designs PLQ jacket
midweight wool shirt and tights for sleeping along with clean socks if is cold like in the 20's I will supplement my sleep system by wearing my possum down skull cap and gloves or if it is in the single digits and I am really cold I will wear my PLQ or Thermawrap jacket along with rain pants if necessary.
I use a Hennessy Hammock with Jacks R Better over and under quilts and this sleep system has worked exceptionally well for me.
Check out Gear Trade. com and steep and cheap you can find some good bargains on most of the gear that I have mentioned in this post--good luck and safe hiking

Hillbilly

Bulldawg
10-19-2009, 21:01
The http://www.theunderwearguys.com/ , run by Fiddlehead here on WB, has long undies and related items and will give WB members a discount. :)

How do you go about getting the discount??

Mags
10-19-2009, 21:04

I think you can mention it in the order. Not sure. Fiddlehead just told me that by e-mail once. (10% for WBers)

fiddlehead
10-19-2009, 21:21

Thanks for the plug Mags.
Just say you are a whiteblaze member in the comments section>
We will then give you 10% off once we see the order.
You will have to pay the full price but we will refund the 10%

I would like to say that the hardest part about winter hiking is in camp.
We all stay pretty warm when we are walking.
It's when we stop.
That's why polypro or similar is important.
You don't want to get all sweated up and then freeze when you stop.

And most importantly, winter camping means long hours of dark and short daylight, so, get up early.
A good sleeping bag is key.
You can also add a sleeping bag liner to add 10 degrees to your bag.

And know the hot water bottle trick.

Good luck out there and have fun.

tammons
10-19-2009, 21:24
I recently found some great stuff at the salvation army.
Several poly shirts $2, a silk button camp shirt 3 oz $3 (not for winter though) couple of fleece jackets $4, down vest $5, 2 pairs of insulated pants $5 ea, a great heavy weight wool shirt $5, 2 new lightweight cashmere wool sweaters $4 ea.

I would start there.

I usually wear a....

Smartwool top or a microweight teeshirt and a wool button shirt. I like button shirts if I am poking along, I can button it up to stay warm or open it to vent.
down vest
Thats about all I need if I am moving.

Driducks wind/rain shell when needed.

If its really cold I might wear a Golite salsa jacket.
Its on sale at Sunny sports for < $40. No hood though.

Wool gloves. Also have WP mitts

Silk or merino bottoms
Shorts or lightweight wool pants.

Carry driducks bottoms too for wind and rain.

Carry a wool sock hat and or a fleece balaclava and a rain hat.

Carry 3 pairs of socks (one worn).
1 heavy, 1 light, 1 light clean.
1 set of lightweight clean dry camp cloths packed
1 set of clean johns packed
1 pair of camp shoes water shoes packed

If its a short trip you might not need all of that stuff/weight, but one extra set of zip lock bagged clean and dry cloths, socks, johns etc is a good idea any time.

Reid
10-19-2009, 23:20
gear lists...

Mags
10-20-2009, 00:22
gear lists...

Cheeseburgers!

nox
10-20-2009, 11:11
I would be afraid to wear cheeseburgers. The wildlife might think you smell too good. Do you wear them as ear muffs????

sixhusbands
10-20-2009, 11:38
I agree that a good sleeping bag is the most important item you need. One other item we use in the Adirondacks and the Whites are crampons. The snow and ice usually sets in mid October on the high peaks and stays until late March or April. I am not certain if they are needed in the south. Does anyone have an opnion on this?

Connie
10-20-2009, 14:22
If you are my age and sex, cheap burgers keep you warm.

The "added hormones" provide "hot flashes".

Not joking, I was asked how do you manage in winter in Montana? No problem.

Seriously, answering your question, the advice here is "first class".

I would only suggest, look at the best stuff. Buy last year's stuff like it.

The discount stores have these great clothing and gear mark-downs.

If there is a high-quality piece of clothing or gear you just can't find, consider M.Y.O.G. (Make Your Own Gear) because the best stuff is available for you to D.I.Y. (Do It Yourself).