PDA

View Full Version : Jumped into a pack

djgray1200
10-18-2009, 13:55
I ignored the popular advice and bought a pack on a bit of a whim. The price point was the deciding factor. I figured that even though I haven't got the other gear yet and haven't loaded it, at $60 I'm not out that much if it doesn't work out. I bought a Mountain Hardwear Trance. I understand it to be more specialized toward Alpine climbing but thought at a volume of 3500 it would make a decent distance pack, at least for training. Is this an ill-advised venture or could it work out for the best?

Dogwood
10-18-2009, 14:31
So, you bought a backpack impulsively against some advice, have money issues, don't really know what you want or need in a pack, and now want assurances you did the right thing. Hummm!

If you bought the pack on Sat between 3 and 3:45 P.M., paid with a credit card, and are currently sucking on a lollipop, without question, you did the right thing!

cwayman1
10-18-2009, 15:17
So, you bought a backpack impulsively against some advice, have money issues, don't really know what you want or need in a pack, and now want assurances you did the right thing. Hummm!

If you bought the pack on Sat between 3 and 3:45 P.M., paid with a credit card, and are currently sucking on a lollipop, without question, you did the right thing!

well that just makes him look like a bad person ;):-?! whether someone has money problems or not... 60 bucks for a pack is a good deal.
"don't really know what you want or need in a pack"-- something to hold stuff and rides well on my back sounds like a pack that has everything I need :)(... generally speaking of course.)

if there isn't room for everything you want... well then it's a good lesson in lightening up. and if it is too big... then i'm sure mods can be done :)

and who wouldn't want a lollipop!:p

backpacks are a personal thing... if it works... or you can make it work :D then it works!:banana
so a good choice or not... you'll have to figure that out for yourself :)

Lilred
10-18-2009, 15:26
I bought my first pair of boots without knowing what I was doing, and on a whim. Turned out to be one of my best pairs. 3500 is just a bit smaller than I like to have, but that will force you to keep your weight down, which is a good thing. For 60 bucks, I'd make it work.

TwoForty
10-18-2009, 15:41
Think about that $100 you tried to save as you carry it for 2000 miles. Maybe it works for you, maybe it doesn't. I can't validate your decisions for you. :)

Bags4266
10-18-2009, 16:06
Buy nice or pay twice!

Panzer1
10-18-2009, 16:12
I bought a Mountain Hardwear Trance.I wouldn't have picked this particular pack but to me the pack looks OK. I don't think you can go wrong for $60. It looks like it was selling for $168 at one time before going on clearance.

Panzer

djgray1200
10-18-2009, 16:24

I guess I can roll with that. Not money issues per se, I paid for a jacket some time ago that didn't fulfill the quality assurance guarantee of L.L. Bean. I took it back and got and picked the pack as a sort of trade in. So I guess I paid nothing for the pack today having already bought the jacket a while back. I'm also pretty up front about the fact that I'm just starting, and no, I'm not really sure what I need in a pack yet. I did make some decisions based on the fit. I appreciated the cut of the shoulder straps. I wonder if that's a design based on the extended range of motion a climber might need.
I guess I was just looking for feedback on if anyone has used Mountain Hardwear products, thinks a capacity of 3500 is reasonable, or thinks the deal justifies the headlong plunge.

Shutterbug
10-18-2009, 16:31
... I figured that even though I haven't got the other gear yet and haven't loaded it, at $60 I'm not out that much if it doesn't work out...

Remember, that it doesn't matter what others think about your pack. All that matters is if it works for you. Use it a while. If you don't like it, you haven't invested much. You can use what you learn when you buy the next one.

modiyooch
10-18-2009, 16:44
looks like you got a good deal.

Two Speed
10-18-2009, 17:15
. . . Is this an ill-advised venture or could it work out for the best?The easy way to find out is to go out for an overnighter or something and see if you like it. If it works for you it was a helluva good deal.

Mongoose2
10-18-2009, 17:39
I cannot specifically comment on the pack, however, Mountain Hardware makes a high quality product. I use a 3500 on my shorter trips (5 days and under) and as Lilred says, it will force you to keep your weight down.

djgray1200
10-18-2009, 18:08
In regards to building up a light-weight kit what concessions do I need to make? I'll be acquiring my gear rather piece-meal. I was planning to either bivy or go with this (http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=45590&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=500105&feat=500105-tn&cat4=1096). Pack has removeable bivy pad (someone help explain to me it's function please). Pack itself is 3 lbs 14 oz as advertised but I'll have to compare with my own measurement. Last consideration to base weight is sleeping bag, yes? Not sure where to go with this one but I'm sure with a little research I can figure it out. Thanks for humoring a newbie. I really appreciate any and all feedback.

Shutterbug
10-18-2009, 18:27
In regards to building up a light-weight kit what concessions do I need to make? I'll be acquiring my gear rather piece-meal. I was planning to either bivy or go with this (http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=45590&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=500105&feat=500105-tn&cat4=1096). Pack has removeable bivy pad (someone help explain to me it's function please). Pack itself is 3 lbs 14 oz as advertised but I'll have to compare with my own measurement. Last consideration to base weight is sleeping bag, yes? Not sure where to go with this one but I'm sure with a little research I can figure it out. Thanks for humoring a newbie. I really appreciate any and all feedback.

Some people get along fine with a bivy, but before you commit to that approach, you should try one out. Borrow one an try it on a rainy night.

I have one. I have enjoyed it, but I have never used it when it was pouring rain. I would think that it would be difficult to stay completely dry in a hard rain.

Mongoose2
10-18-2009, 20:00
DJ

If you do decide to go with a small tent, I rigged straps on the bottom of my pack which frees up much needed space. If your tight on funds I would recommend the Campmor 20 degree bag......of course the the Hubba is a solid tent....good luck!

Lilred
10-18-2009, 20:06
google Henry Shires Tarptents. Very lightweight, lots of room, and will keep you dry. I have one of the first Squall's, and I still love it.

As for a bag, there are a lot of folks on WB that swear by the Campmor 20* down bag, including myself. I've used mine now for four years and will use it again next year. Campmor.com

Lilred
10-18-2009, 20:07
DJ

If you do decide to go with a small tent, I rigged straps on the bottom of my pack which frees up much needed space. If your tight on funds I would recommend the Campmor 20 degree bag......of course the the Hubba is a solid tent....good luck!

HAH!! You posted while I was typing it LOL

Blissful
10-18-2009, 20:23
Enjoy your new pack and have fun.

Mongoose2
10-18-2009, 20:24
Lilred, I've always wanted to try the Shires Tarptent. It struck me as very roomy and light (which I need these days). However, a bit steep in price. I am keeping my eyes open for a good used one!

Dogwood
10-18-2009, 20:39
Djgray1200, didn't mean to sound like I was jumping down your throat, the planets may align and the sun will probably rise tomorrow, but, IMO, and it's only an opinion, what I think will occur is that you will wind up spending extra money and having excessive gear that you later find doesn't suit you, that you dont use, or doesn't work together if you keep purchasing gear on a whim. Sure, you will learn as you buy stuff, but you could just as easily learn much of that by visiting outfitters, trying on gear, examining other hiker's gear, possibly renting gear, asking a lot of questions, getting answers from competent knowledgable hikers/sales staff, and doing some research at gear manufacturers websites first. It's my illusion that if you did that, in the end, you would spend less money, have a better idea of gear that's available, and purchase gear that best suits you and your hiking style.

Anyone, that has a closet, attic. or garage full of rarely used, unused, or unwanted gear might tell you the same thing.

XCskiNYC
10-19-2009, 22:18

By bivy pad they probably mean a sleeping pad. Since it's 38 inches it will probably not providing cushioning all the way down to your feet.

Shorter sleeping pads are lighter, longer ones more comfortable.

Many people use the 14-oz Z-Lite pad from Thermarest which sells for about $35. You can get a basic closed-cell foam pad from Campmor that only weighs 8 ozs. and sells for around $10 (it's thinner than the Z-lite though).

On the size: 3500 may be a little tight, but it just depends on how much gear you bring. Since you don't have that much invested into the pack, you could just go ahead and buy your gear without worrying about fit too much and then see how it works out.

If you really do use the backpad for a sleeping pad, that would save quite a bit of space and probably make it pretty easy to fit the rest of your stuff. From the picture online it doesn't look like this pack has external attachment straps or lashing points. You might be able to fit a sleeping pad between the top lid of the pack and the top of the main compartment. Getting your sleeping pad somewhere on the outside will leave you with a pretty good amount of storage space for moderate-length trips such as those you'll probably make as you do your first few shakedown hikes to figure out how your gear is working out.

Hoop Time
10-22-2009, 21:52
I made a similar decision when I bought a new pack this summer. Picked up a High Sierra on sale at REI for an affordable price that allowed me to invest some of my limited gear funds in some other things I needed. Is it the pack a lot of folks here would suggest? No. It is a little bit heavier. Other than that I can't tell a lot of the differences, though I am sure there are some.

But I was replacing the old external frame pack I had used when I hiked back in college, so almost anything would have been an improvement. And I am not planning to through hike any time soon, and thus far I have been very happy with my purchase.

Maybe some day I will want to upgrade, but saving money on the pack allowed me to also afford a badly needed new sleeping bag, my Steripen and a number of smaller items I needed to get back into it.

I guess my point is, if the pack serves your purpose well and fits your budget, then it sounds to me like a good buy.

Connie
10-22-2009, 22:36
I got an REI Lookout pack on sale.

It fit. The price was good.

It is over my pack weight ideals.

However, I found out I do love all the fiddly compartments and places to put things.

I don't overload it. Besides, one or two pounds difference, in a lightweight load, isn't a "felt" difference.

I am actually enjoying having this pack. It is my knock-around pack.

However, I completely agree "impulse" buying is treacherous. I have bought useless items I never used, or carried once and never again. That is also true, of some things I had carefully considered without knowing much about it, or, consulting people who are experienced.