PDA

View Full Version : Windpants

John Klein
10-18-2009, 15:23
Anybody hike in these?

This being the greater Atlanta metro area, the current 50 degree highs and 30 degree lows have made front page news. I have pulled my DriClime windshirt out of the closet and worn it around town for errands, with a long sleeve baselayer underneath. Since this works so good, I wonder if windpants would work just as well.

In considering lower body clothing, I'm trying to, "... keep in mind what the clothing can do for me. Does it insulate? Does it stop wind or rain? Convertible nylon pants do none of these". (Credit Winton Porter for that paraphrased quote).

Therefore, as the temperature drops, wind pants with a baselayer underneath seem like they might be a good choice. I'm just not sure how durable they would be on the trail. I've worn tear away lined warm up pants that basketball players use and they've kept me warm but they also breathed, unlike rainpants.

russb
10-18-2009, 15:28
I have a pair of Starter brand that I have used for years. I hike in shorts andf then out these on at camp. The lining plus windbreak makes them quite warm.

BR360
10-18-2009, 18:15
In the winter, I now use a pair of 100% wool army-surplus dress pants (I got for 99 cents from a sale bin). These are heavier than my 100% wool dress pants I use in the spring and fall, and got for $3.00 at the thrift store.

Wool sheds rain and wind, insulates, breathes well, and the twill fabric is tough and wears well. Plus, I do not have to worry about "ruining" these, like I would fancy pants from some name-brand manufacturer.