PDA

View Full Version : Cost Per Mile CDT??!?!???

SunnyWalker
10-18-2009, 18:12
OK, How about some estimates of what it might cost to hike CDT, per mile. This would be an aveage cost not counting equipment. Thanks. :sun

Mags
10-18-2009, 18:19
Since the CDT miles range from an est of 2500 to 3100..kinda hard to say. :)

Call it $3500 +/- to do the CDT for the "average" (whatever the hell that means) CDT thru-hike.

Sly
10-18-2009, 18:19
I wouldn't leave home without $4,000 and $5k would be better.

garlic08
10-18-2009, 19:31
Mags can hike a little cheaper than I can. I ditto what Sly says. I like my town stops with motels and good meals, and playing tourist a little. Four grand with a grand contingency fund.

Mags
10-18-2009, 19:44
Looking back... ~$4000 is probably more accurate if I factor in the shoes I had to replace. :)

(Part of the reason of my fuzzy memory is that I did not budget for the CDT strictly. My budget also consisted of post-trail funds that aren't included in the figure. )

I also spend less time in town when I can. (Though I never pass up a burger and beer! :D)

Dogwood
10-18-2009, 20:15
I'm currently in the planning phase for a 2010 CDT thru. With virtually all my main gear pre-purchased and financially accounted for except all my shoes(got some already) and not accounting for USPS postage for my mailed resupply boxes(that's the way I'm mainly resupplying, but taking a hybrid approach in some areas, not even close to having purchased all my supplies yet) and not counting transportation to the CDT, I'm alloting $3000 with an additional back up of $1500. I'm figuring staying at hotels/motels maybe once in every 5 town stops.

Thanks to all those with your advice.

Lately, I've been pouring over Mags CDT info at his www.Pmags website. It has been extremely helpful by having all that CDT info and links organized in a way that makes it easier to digest. If you are planning a CDT hike I strongly suggest you check it out.

NotYet
10-18-2009, 21:13
Hey Dogwood,

Are you planning to go southbound or northbound? My husband, Macon Tracks, and I are planning to go southbound in 2010 and we're trying to find out who might be out there with us! Anyone else out there planning on doing the CDT in 2010? Any Sobo?

Dogwood
10-19-2009, 09:15
Not Yet, the simple answer is I do NOT YET know. I prefer to go NOBO all the way since I can start earlier, but I will not make my final decision until I see the spring snowfall levels in the north and south. I'm also considereing going NOBO through New Mexico and then flipping to go SOBO from the northern terminus.

ARambler
10-19-2009, 10:21
At one of the AT workshops at the Gathering, it was estimated that the average cost is about $2.00/mile. For me, and many others, the CDT is more expensive than the AT. I did a flip flop and spent extra days in town, due to heavy snow.

I think it would be easy to keep costs below $6000, but you should be asking about budgets, not total costs.

Rambler

SunnyWalker
10-19-2009, 19:13
OK. I will think in terms of budgets. Budget each "Item" e.g., food, lodging, transportation, equipment, communciations, postage, non-consumables (e.g., white gas or alcohol, equipment replacement), yard maintenance (I plan on paying someone to maintain my yard and place). I plan on a balance between ultra light and light. I too thought the $2.00 a mile was for AT, and would not work for CDT. I have followed the costs of a couple of fellows who hiked the CDT and they had meals of up to and over $100.00 I don't see myself doing anything like that. What do you thnk?

Dogwood
10-19-2009, 20:42
NotYet, hope to see you and Macon Tracks on the trail. Wish you the best. When we meet up I've budgeted $20 to buy you and yours a drink or two!!!

Leave me a contact ph # or Email address so we can bounce trail descriptions and upcoming concerns off each other.

SunnyWalker
10-29-2009, 12:10
So it seems that CDT might be more expensive then ATor PCT. Is this due to its isolation and thus when you do come to "civilization" it is a resort, where things are more expensive?

Spirit Walker
10-29-2009, 12:46
You basically have it right. Since many towns are a long way off the trail, it is more difficult to just run in and out in a few hours. You may be tired and want to spend a couple of days recuperating (e.g. one day for errands and one day to rest). Many of the towns have cheap or free camping - but given some of the weather extremes (cold, heat or bugs) that may not appeal as much as a nice enclosed motel. There are a few nice hostels - but not many - and there are few trail angels that are available every year. (Which isn't to say there isn't trail magic, there is, it just can't be predicted.)

Also, a lot of the towns are tourist towns with a very short (100 days or so) season in which to make enough money to survive the year. Thus prices can be high.

In Wyoming it is worsened by a gas/oil drilling boom that means all the hotels are full of gas workers - prices can be ridiculous for what you are getting. (i.e. the Jade motel in Rawlins was barely worth the $19 we paid when we hiked in 1999, same motel, probably not cleaned in the interim, was $39 in 2006. A year later people said it cast $89. Better to go across town to the good motels and pay $95 for a nice room near the supermarket.)

Dogwood
10-29-2009, 15:30
SpiritWalker, like Mags suggested and I agree, your CDT trail journal is a virtual must read for someone contemplating a CDT thru-hike. TU for posting it. Much gained by your trail journal.

Spirit Walker
10-29-2009, 19:23
Thank you.

Mags
10-29-2009, 22:59
Here's the link for The THRU-HIKING PAPERS. (http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/THP%20top.html)

Not only good reading for the CDT..but for any trail. Goes over a lot of head stuff that is often ignored.

Too many discussions on what baffle type fluffs up best for down feathers while using CO gas emissions on the perfect cell phone headlamp crap...not enough on the really important part of the hikes. :)

SunnyWalker
10-30-2009, 01:19
Sounds like while one is on the CDT it would be a real money saver to have mail parcels come from home containing food and all. Can't do much about the motels though except try to avoid them or get less expensive ones.

Mags
10-30-2009, 01:29
Sounds like while one is on the CDT it would be a real money saver to have mail parcels come from home containing food and all. Can't do much about the motels though except try to avoid them or get less expensive ones.

Do the hybrid approach. In a big town mail food ahead to smaller towns.

It's what I did because, for some reason, my friends were not willing to let me take over their basement with a bunch of boxes with mac n' cheese. ;)

Marta
10-30-2009, 06:41

It's what I did because, for some reason, my friends were not willing to let me take over their basement with a bunch of boxes with mac n' cheese. ;)

And yet you call these people friends!!! What, just because you like them and enjoy spending time with them?:D

Dogwood
10-30-2009, 10:12

I saw a pic of Andrew Skurka's resupply boxes for his Great Western Loop hike. It did indeed consume almost one whole room(I think his basement). Think about that. Granted that was a very long thru-hike, but also consider he hikes big miles nearly every day meaning he needs to resupply less often than most of us and he still needed all this space for just resuppy boxes. This didn't include all the space he would need to organize and pack all those resupply boxes.

On the PCT I did what Mags is suggesting. I prepared ahead of time all to-be-mailed resupply boxes for California. Just had someone reliable waiting in the wings to give the go ahead on mailing a few boxes out at ta time. When I got to Ashland OR, where I knew there was a good co-op grocery store, I spent 2 days purchasing and mailing all my resuplly boxes for that state. When I took 2 days off in Portland OR I did the same for WA state. Spent a little extra time while on the trail to do these things but saved some money by not having to mail resupply boxes all the way from Hawaii or NJ. In towns that had large or acceptable grocery stores I bought food as I went.

I think Jack Tarlin, who also knows a thing or two about resupply, wrote some great resupply articles here on WB that, even though pertain to the AT, contain some very useful resupply advice that can be appplied to any trail.

Connie
10-30-2009, 12:41
It is difficult to believe a steak dinner could cost $100, even in Jackson Hole, WY.

The Cattle Baron, in Babb, MT near Many Glacier is the most expensive "steak house" in 5-counties and it isn't anything like $100 for the steak.

It must be the "bar bill".

I read that trail journal; it read like a "pub crawl".

I have been to a few resorts myself around that part of the country. Mostly, you get fresh choice vegetables deliciously prepared, something no one else has.

I plan and prepare a few of my own "gourmet meals" for morale and package them for a long "unsupported" hike.

If I didn't have a lot of money, I would do a lot of food drying of dinners ahead of the hike.

It seems to me, a "supported" CDT would include rides out to the few real towns, but I have never attempted a long trail "thruhike" so what would I know about that?

But I think about it, a lot.

Mags
10-30-2009, 13:37
And yet you call these people friends!!! What, just because you like them and enjoy spending time with them?:D

Heh..I am always amazed when they call me a friend. ;)

As Dogwood said, a resupply for any thru-hike is going to take up room.

Being a single guy who rents, I do not have the space avail to store food, supplies etc.

My friends do not have a lot of space either. They are single like me and have a small space OR they have young children and well, have limited space too (and limited time!).

So the hybrid approach works wonderfully for the self supported backpacker.

Yes, larger towns are less common on the CDT than the AT or even the PCT, but you can get by OK with the hybrid approach (or if you are like me and not all that picky what you eat).

SunnyWalker
10-31-2009, 00:53
Yeah, "hybrid approach". I think my spouse can send me pkgs., or I will probably have a company send me weeks supplies, etc., to certain pre-arranged mail spots.

Connie: Yeah, I think that the bill on those dinnes was mainly (?) booze. I felt the same way reading the journal. But it was still good to read of their experience.

SunnyWalker
10-31-2009, 00:57
Dogwood: Thanks to y ou and Mags. Great info and encouragement. I think you got it down as to re-supply for CDT and etc. Will you be keeping a journal? If so could you tell us where to access it if possible? I'd like to follow your journey. Thanks again.

kcaj
12-29-2009, 21:20
Dogwood
Read that you might be doing a NOBO '10. I am planning on it myself. My start date is April 14th.
Do you have any plans yet?
tumblweed:cool:

Dogwood
12-29-2009, 23:00
Kcaj, I'm starting a little later than you, probably the last wk in Apr and probably at Columbus NM instead of at Crazy Cook. I might see you though. I'm planning a straight thru, but you never know until the last minute with the snow at the higher elevs going into CO. And, on the CDTS route through NM I reach 11,000 + ft so if I absolutely have to I'll skip up to the Great Basin area head south back to where I left off and leap frog back up to the GB area to continue NOBO.

mweinstone
01-04-2010, 00:59