PDA

View Full Version : Advice on an ultra-light tent replacement

Peep
08-11-2004, 15:22
Hi everyone. How about some advice for me on a replacement for my NF Canyonlands tent? I'm very satisfied with it except for the 4 lb weight. I am looking for the same features but lighter. Thanks. Peep

hiker dude
08-11-2004, 16:00
I would go to Henery shires tarp tents heneryshires.com maybe huh? Soak on it for a while with any other ideas you compaired and get back to me and let me know. I'm almost convinced taking it over my 84 SD Flashlite. But a tarp tent is the best way out of carrying 4 pounds and sleeping on the ground. I think they just finally perfected the tarp tent to from the old pictures in his file. I saw almost the same one at sixmoondesigns.com with a opional 4 oz vestabule.:)

c.coyle
08-11-2004, 16:02
I would go to Henery shires tarp tents heneryshires.com maybe huh?

www.tarptent.com

Peep, you didn't mention when and where you hike. I love my Cloudburst in spring, summer, and fall hear in Pa. 38 ounces complete.

Peep
08-11-2004, 19:28
Yeah, I failed to mention that I hike spring, summer and fall and mostly on the AT. I've looked at the tarptents and that may be the way I'll go. I was just hoping I could switch to something with mesh walls, sewn in floor, room to sit up. I only need a solo but prefer a 2 person for roomyness. I really don't want to depend on using hiking poles for set up either. Ideas?

c.coyle
08-11-2004, 20:24
Yeah, I failed to mention that I hike spring, summer and fall and mostly on the AT. I've looked at the tarptents and that may be the way I'll go. I was just hoping I could switch to something with mesh walls, sewn in floor, room to sit up. I only need a solo but prefer a 2 person for roomyness. I really don't want to depend on using hiking poles for set up either. Ideas?

Except for mesh walls, you're describing the Cloudburst. I'm 6'0', and can sit up w/ headroom to spare. Sewn in floor is an option. It's huge if you're by yourself. No hiking poles needed.

Peep
08-11-2004, 21:06
Thanks for the info on the tarptents. Cloudburst looks real cool. It just may be what I'm looking for. thanks again. Peep

boomerang
08-12-2004, 07:48
I am going to carry a Big Agnes Seedhouse SL 2-person tent on my hike. I am a big guy and like to spread out a little bit, so I decided to go with the more luxiourious 2-person instead of 1. I have just got it and am taking it out in a few weeks on its first test run, but so far it looks great. It is slightly smaller than a SD Clip Flashlight, so it's more like a 1.5 person tent.

dave

Kerosene
08-12-2004, 09:07
If the single-wall TarpTents look interesting, take a look at the Six Moon Designs Europa. Very similar design to the Squall but I like the positioning of the side mesh a lot more than the TarpTent. The new vestibule for the TarpTents is pretty attractive, though.

TREE-HUGGER
08-12-2004, 09:17
If you are going for single wall, then the only one I would reccomend would be the six moons europa. It has the most protection and the most ventilation of any single wall out there. And tons of space.
But if you are going for full protection from blowing driving rain, I suggest a sierra designs "ultra" light year cd. We have had it on the scales and it weighs 2lbs 9oz and it has sit up room.

Furlough
08-12-2004, 09:38
Peeps,

This may not really meet your criteria as it is a true 1 person tent but it is worth looking into. I recently tried out the ALPS Mountaineering Taurus 1 on a 3 day 2 night trip. It weighs in at around 3lbs 13 ounces (advertised weight is 3lbs 15 ounces) It is a modified dome and is free standing. I staked it out the first night and left it un-staked the second night. It has a front entrance and small front vestibule. It is tall enough that I could sit up to journal, change clothes etc. (I am 5'10"). It is a bit snug once your pack is inside (I put mine at the foot end and still could stretch out when I layed down) but comfrotable enough for me. You can see the details at: www.alpsmountaineering.com (http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/)

Furlough

Tn Bandit
08-12-2004, 15:08
The Big Agnes Seedhouse SL 1 is freestanding, bathtub floor with mesh, vestibule and rainfly at 2lb 8oz(add 5.5oz for optional footprint). If you really want to get jiggy use a footprint and fastfly at 2lb 3oz, I use this setup. I'm 6' 160# and have a lot of room inside for sitting up and changing clothes.

Crazy Legs
08-12-2004, 19:17
Hennessy Hammock! Best nights rest I've ever had on the trail. Some folks have issues with a hammock in cold weather. A little brain power and you can over come anything though. Light weight, sets up simple, sleeps awesome!

Connie
08-12-2004, 22:18
Hmm ..replace TNF Canyonlands: big side door, not confining, bug surround mesh walls, sewn in floor, room to sit up, 2-person for roominess, not using hiking poles?

Everyone has mentioned everything I know, except the Terra Nova Laser tent, 2.84 lbs:

http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/terra/lightweight.shtml

Connie

Drala Hiker
09-03-2004, 08:56
Connie,
I've seen the Terra Nova tents mentioned in the Backpacker forums before also. However, they are not available in North America. Before anyone orders from the UK, you need to be aware of all the taxes, duties, and tariffs charged to anything shipped from UK overseas. When you add in all the taxes, import tariffs, duty tax, value added tax, and shipping charges, you can pay almost twice the price of the product. I've included a copy of ChrisK's post concerning his purchase of a $70 silnylon poncho that he ordered from the UK. As he explained in an earlier post, he paid $64.65 in fees for a $70 piece of gear!

<ChrisK:
I just got the bill:
Import duty £11.35
VAT £11.02
Clearance Fee £13.50 = £35.87 x 1.8 = $64.56
so the import duty is about $20 on a $70 item, plus VAT at the same amount. I call that punitive. The clearance fee finishes it off nicely.>

aardvarkdave
09-03-2004, 09:34
A US person ordering from the UK shouldn't pay VAT (the retailer should give you exemption), and I'd hope US import duty and clearance fees are lower than the UK's (maybe even no clearance fee if tax is low enough). Looks to me like Chrisk was ordering from the US to the UK, not vice versa. I'm UK based, and whilst we get stung for taxes our way, the weakness of the dollar compensates. For you guys, it'll be the opposite scenario.

I went the other way - despite being from the UK I ordered a Stephenson's warmlite 2R from the US. We looked at the laser but it wasn't right for us - for 2 its a cosy fit and I wasn't convinced by the structure, particularly compared to a warmlite. The warmlite is huge, lightweight, very well made.

The Eleven
11-23-2004, 14:38
I own a NF SlickRock (similiar to CanyonLand) and I wanted to do the same in dropping weight since the tent is real descent and matches my personal specs. The fly weighs @1 lb + so I leave the fly at home....drops the weight to @3 lbs and bring 2 mm painters tarp (the clear kind) as my fly. I slit it on one side to create a vestibule for boots and/or cooking in rain and peg the corners down either w/aluminum lightweight stakes or use sticks from the campsite. It works for me. Love freestanding tents! Happy Trails!
Steve (Little Bear 2) in CT :banana

ForceTen
11-25-2004, 06:11
I you can cope without a vestibule, check out the Black Diamond Firstlight.

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/tentdetail.cfm/BD162

I like it a lot. Cheerfully yellow makes it nice to stay inside. Dead easy and very quick to pitch. Free-standing. Roomy for one, useable for two if you are good friends. Not the condensation issues I've had with silnylon single skin shelters.

/FT

Glee
11-26-2004, 13:15
So what would be the total weight and cost of the Squall with the Heavier duty Sewn-in flooring, Mesh netting and the Extended beak. His site is a little confusing when you start adding on this and that.

I come up with 38.5 ozs - 2 lbs 6.5 ozs

Price $ 245.oo

Not sure if that includes using my own hiking pole...

I want a tent that will hold up on the AT for very cold, bad weather.

I also heard there was a problem with some aspects with either the curve pole or something like that. Was that issue addressed?

Thanks

Bloodroot
11-26-2004, 14:20
With the ext beak, sewn-in floor and groundcloth my Squall weighs 45oz.

Kerosene
11-26-2004, 21:31
I also heard there was a problem with some aspects with either the curve pole or something like that. Was that issue addressed?From what I've heard, yes, this was addressed by switching to a different pole manufacturer.

gravityman
11-29-2004, 12:40
With the ext beak, sewn-in floor and groundcloth my Squall weighs 45oz.

I swear our squall without the groundcloth but with everything else is 30 oz (but no front pole, as we use the treking pole). We don't feel we need the groundcloth. If the floor gets a hole in it, we'll just patch it.

You must have a pretty heavy groundcloth...

Gravity