PDA

View Full Version : Doing the AT or can the AT

horicon
10-19-2009, 09:28
Can the AT be done with out backpacking or camping on the trail.

BT

modiyooch
10-19-2009, 09:30
see symbols' thread. he is looking for a partner.

modiyooch
10-19-2009, 09:32
also look at askus3 trip reports. He is day hiking the AT in sections.

Lone Wolf
10-19-2009, 09:32

BT
most certainly

max patch
10-19-2009, 10:04
"Most" of it can be, for sure. As to "all" of it, I doubt it. I think Warren's Expeditions have some short sections where they have to carry backpacks and camp away from the support van. You could do a google search for Warren Doyle and email him at his website or send him a pm here.

Jofish
10-19-2009, 10:25
As said above, a lot of it can be done day-hiking. But not all of it. The most glaring example is the 100 mile wilderness in Maine. Can't really day hike that one. Kinda have to backpack and camp there.

Lone Wolf
10-19-2009, 10:29
As said above, a lot of it can be done day-hiking. But not all of it. The most glaring example is the 100 mile wilderness in Maine. Can't really day hike that one. Kinda have to backpack and camp there.

the 100 mile widerness is totally easy to day hike. plenty of road access

Blissful
10-19-2009, 10:29
Why not. Take it one day hike at a time.

Slo-go'en
10-19-2009, 10:54
You'd have to do some really, really long, big mile days to do the Smokies without overnight camping. Other than there, given enough time and money, you could day hike the rest of the trail with out much trouble.

Pootz
10-19-2009, 11:01

There are a few sections that would be hard to do as a day hike unless you were willing to do big miles 30-50. The 100 mile wilderness might be 100 miles in length but is not really wilderness. Several road crossings.

max patch
10-19-2009, 11:06
"Most" of it can be, for sure. As to "all" of it, I doubt it. I think Warren's Expeditions have some short sections where they have to carry backpacks and camp away from the support van. You could do a google search for Warren Doyle and email him at his website or send him a pm here.

This years expedion has two 2 day backpacks in the gsmnp, a 2 day backpack in the whites, and a 3 day backpack in nh/me.

So I'm thinking that you can't dayhike the entire trail based on this.

Disney
10-19-2009, 11:13
I met some middle aged ladies in 2005 from New York City who brought two cars down, and were hiking from one car to the other, leapfrogging all the way up, so yes it can be done. HYOH, but you may try to avoid acting like these two.

They were extremely adamant that they were doing this to "prove to all you men that women can do this too." The women in our little extended group found this statement extremely odd. Because they would drive north, and day hike south for the day, we ran into them frequently. Mistrustful of men, and very angry in general, they always seemed on the verge of fight or flight. On one particularly bad encounter, when I was informed that they could defend themselves, and the word misogynist was hurled at me, I attempted to enlighten them of trail reality. In the most gentle terms and civil tones, I informed them that my little sister had walked with me for a month, and that a huge number of women finish the trail every year. I told them about grandma Gatewood, and other female retirees that I had personally met. They got to hear about the barefoot sisters, and hikers like Teatree who could walk me into the ground without realizing she was doing it. I concluded with a question. "You know what all these women have in common? They carried their own gear. They're hikers."

We didn't see them again. I think they waited a bit before moving forward behind us.

Cabin Fever
10-19-2009, 11:31
Guy in our Club day hiked the 100 mile wilderness by using logging roads for access.

The Smokies can certainly be day hiked. Who says you cannot do loops using non-AT trails? All of those hikes are pretty much the same - hike up to the ridgeline, go along the AT and come back down.

The entire AT can be day hiked. It just depends on how much logistical effort one wants to put forth.

max patch
10-19-2009, 11:36
Guy in our Club day hiked the 100 mile wilderness by using logging roads for access.

The Smokies can certainly be day hiked. Who says you cannot do loops using non-AT trails? All of those hikes are pretty much the same - hike up to the ridgeline, go along the AT and come back down.

The entire AT can be day hiked. It just depends on how much logistical effort one wants to put forth.

That may very well be true. I'm curious though why WD would choose to have 4 short backpack sections on his expeditions if it was possible to hike to the van on those days. Maybe someone with more time than me could figure out how to day hike those 4 sections.

Jack Tarlin
10-19-2009, 12:24
Other than a short stretch of the Smokies and a few days in the White Mountains in New Hampshire, it is certainly possible to day-hike the A.T., as long as you have the right vehicle, and spend a good bit of time studying maps, road access points, your daily mileage plans, etc.

I can cartainly understand someone wanting to do this for health reasons (i.e. not wanting to backpack) but personally, the idea of spending almost every night in a motel, or sleeping at a roadside next to a car, doesn't seem like a whole lot of fun.

But some folks just aren't into the camping out thing, and that's fine. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

paintplongo
10-19-2009, 12:29
I saw a couple of guys this summer doing it, but you have to have a pretty dedicated assistant to pick you up, especially down South.

sbhikes
10-19-2009, 13:11

BT

I'm interested in why you want to do it as a day hike? Sounds like an interesting idea.

Tin Man
10-19-2009, 15:47
whereskarl.com

modiyooch
10-19-2009, 19:20
As said above, a lot of it can be done day-hiking. But not all of it. The most glaring example is the 100 mile wilderness in Maine. Can't really day hike that one. Kinda have to backpack and camp there.I day hiked it.

modiyooch
10-19-2009, 19:36
I can cartainly understand someone wanting to do this for health reasons (i.e. not wanting to backpack) but personally, the idea of spending almost every night in a motel, or sleeping at a roadside next to a car, doesn't seem like a whole lot of fun.
If I day hike, I car camp and not at roadsides. Added benefit if there is a shower nearby. Even when I pull into campgrounds, I car camp. It's much more comfortable than the ground.
If I day hike, I don't have to carry 30-40 lbs and that's fine with me.
I consider the AT a thru hike, not necessarily a thru pack.

Tin Man
10-19-2009, 19:40
If I day hike, I car camp and not at roadsides. Added benefit if there is a shower nearby. Even when I pull into campgrounds, I car camp. It's much more comfortable than the ground.
If I day hike, I don't have to carry 30-40 lbs and that's fine with me.
I consider the AT a thru hike, not necessarily a thru pack.

Could you clarify 'car camp'? Do you really sleep in your car (you said the car camp is more comfortable than the ground)?

modiyooch
10-19-2009, 20:16
Could you clarify 'car camp'? Do you really sleep in your car (you said the car camp is more comfortable than the ground)?I have a Honda Element. The seats lie completely flat from front to back giving you about 8 foot of level bench seats. If I'm by myself, I load the other seat flat against the side giving me cargo space. If I can't find a picnic table, or if it's raining, I boil water for coffer or dinner on the tailgate. The car is a suv so it can handle the ME logging roads. Since I am a backpacker, I don't carry alot of gear. I did buy some plastic containers to store food and fuel so I can resupply from my car. I also have a good supply of water.

modiyooch
10-19-2009, 20:21
and the moon roof provides visuals of the stars, weather and the first rays of sunlight. It's completely dry. I get to swap out dry socks, clean clothes.

skeeter
10-20-2009, 09:46
and the moon roof provides visuals of the stars, weather and the first rays of sunlight. It's completely dry. I get to swap out dry socks, clean clothes.

How do you get your car to your next stopping point and then how do you get back to the trail..hitch hiking?

modiyooch
10-20-2009, 20:46
I try not to hitch. I secure shuttles, use two cars, hiking partner hiking opposite direction with two keys, or a dedicated husband/family that drops me off and meets me at the opposite end after 8-10 hours. If is just my husband & I, he will kill time by chatting with locals, helping other hikers with rides and supplies, meeting me for lunch if possible, finding the next camp spot, finding showers, hiking in to meet me.

Tin Man
10-20-2009, 21:42
Interesting approach. But I think I will stick to my hammock and camping in the woods.

modiyooch
10-20-2009, 21:53
Interesting approach. But I think I will stick to my hammock and camping in the woods. I do that, too.
I have backpacked GA,NC,TN, VA, WV, MD half of NY, half of CT, Whites
I have slackpacked PA, NJ, half of NY and CT, Most of MA & ME, southern NH.
I didn't start slackpacking until I hit PA because of the road crossings and safety issues. I hike by myself alot.

Tin Man
10-20-2009, 22:30
Cool... sorry I missed you when you came through eastern NY and CT. I would have offered a shuttle.

modiyooch
10-20-2009, 22:37
Cool... sorry I missed you when you came through eastern NY and CT. I would have offered a shuttle.backpacked from Bear Mt to Cornwall, then slackpacked to Great Barrington. We stayed at the SP twice and Maria's in Salisbury twice. Maria shuttled us twice, SP ranger shuttled us once, and the mechanic shuttled us once. My car broke down in the town of Cornwall, population 20? I liked the area.

Tin Man
10-20-2009, 22:49
backpacked from Bear Mt to Cornwall, then slackpacked to Great Barrington. We stayed at the SP twice and Maria's in Salisbury twice. Maria shuttled us twice, SP ranger shuttled us once, and the mechanic shuttled us once. My car broke down in the town of Cornwall, population 20? I liked the area.

Hiking north from CT into MA you cross scenic Race Mtn. When you come down Race, there is a blue blaze heading east down to Race Brook Falls. It is one of the best falls in New England, but most miss it because they are doing miles. I love the area (Race Mtn and the Falls) and highly recommend this blue blaze.

Doctari
10-21-2009, 06:49
Just before Damascus last year (NOBO section hike) I met "Big Sister" I think she has/had a few hundred miles to go to be a 2000 miler. "I NEVER sleep in the woods" she said. Her little brother "Shuttle Bug" takes her to her start point & picks her up at end of day, everyday. She is a bit older than me, so around 60(ish) & was having a great time only carrying a 6 lb pack WITH food & water.

modiyooch
10-21-2009, 08:27
Hiking north from CT into MA you cross scenic Race Mtn. When you come down Race, there is a blue blaze heading east down to Race Brook Falls. It is one of the best falls in New England, but most miss it because they are doing miles. I love the area (Race Mtn and the Falls) and highly recommend this blue blaze.Good to know. I can always come back. Right now I don't take too many blue blaze trails not because I'm in a hurry, or because I am racking up miles per se, but because I am concentrating on the AT trail. It's taking me 30 years, and that's without the side trips. It should take me 2 weeks to finish my goal, then I can direct my trips to jewels like the one you mentioned. There are endless places in this country alone to explore. I'm still working on the ones in NC.

aframe
10-21-2009, 14:29
Modiyooch, any chance I ran into you at Imp in the Whites last summer? When I was caretaking I met an awesome lady who had day-hiked almost the whole trail (maybe a couple hundred to go). She was out there with a full pack for the first time ever. Lot of firsts actually- first time hiking with a full pack, first time out overnight in the woods, first time alone overnight, first time hiking in the rain... all I remember is that almost everything she had (including the pen she signed the shelter log with) was bright pink, and she was one of the happiest people I met all summer. Pretty awesome that you can day-hike the whole thing!

Jack Tarlin
10-21-2009, 15:14
Disclaimer:

I respect anyone's right to do pretty much what they want out there, i.e. to me, "Hike your own hike!", that timeworn and overused phrase, to me, means that if you aren't damagaing the environment, or if you aren't doing anything likely to be injurious to other hikers, their trips, or the hiking communtity, well, you can pretty much do what you want out there.

That being said, to me, the idea of going out for many months in order to hike the Appalachian Trail, and not wanting to spend the night in the woods, well, that's kinda weird. Likely, the idea of going out there road-to-road, and spending a lot of one's nights sleeping at roadside a few yeards from a car, well, that's kinda weird, too.

But whatever works, I guess.

modiyooch
10-21-2009, 22:05
Modiyooch, any chance I ran into you at Imp in the Whites last summer? When I was caretaking I met an awesome lady who had day-hiked almost the whole trail (maybe a couple hundred to go). She was out there with a full pack for the first time ever. Lot of firsts actually- first time hiking with a full pack, first time out overnight in the woods, first time alone overnight, first time hiking in the rain... all I remember is that almost everything she had (including the pen she signed the shelter log with) was bright pink, and she was one of the happiest people I met all summer. Pretty awesome that you can day-hike the whole thing!nope, that wasn't me. I was in the Whites for the past three summers though. I have backpacked more of the trail, than I have slackpacked; so the only "first" for me at this stage is my brand new hammock.

Wise Old Owl
10-22-2009, 02:52
I met some middle aged ladies in 2005 from New York City who brought two cars down, and were hiking from one car to the other, leapfrogging all the way up, so yes it can be done. HYOH, but you may try to avoid acting like these two.

They were extremely adamant that they were doing this to "prove to all you men that women can do this too." The women in our little extended group found this statement extremely odd. Because they would drive north, and day hike south for the day, we ran into them frequently. Mistrustful of men, and very angry in general, they always seemed on the verge of fight or flight. On one particularly bad encounter, when I was informed that they could defend themselves, and the word misogynist was hurled at me, I attempted to enlighten them of trail reality. In the most gentle terms and civil tones, I informed them that my little sister had walked with me for a month, and that a huge number of women finish the trail every year. I told them about grandma Gatewood, and other female retirees that I had personally met. They got to hear about the barefoot sisters, and hikers like Teatree who could walk me into the ground without realizing she was doing it. I concluded with a question. "You know what all these women have in common? They carried their own gear. They're hikers."

We didn't see them again. I think they waited a bit before moving forward behind us.

I mean this sincerely "You da man!" now high five!:D

modiyooch
10-22-2009, 10:22
That being said, to me, the idea of going out for many months in order to hike the Appalachian Trail, and not wanting to spend the night in the woods, well, that's kinda weird. Likely, the idea of going out there road-to-road, and spending a lot of one's nights sleeping at roadside a few yeards from a car, well, that's kinda weird, too.

But whatever works, I guess.You have backpacking and you have hiking. Neither one, superior to the other. They are just different sports. Just consider this approach to be long term intense hiking of the AT. The whole idea of coming back to the car is NOT to camp a few yards from the car at roadside. It's either to get off the ground, or camp at a campground with a shower.
I have the state of VT to do. I haven't yet decided the approach I'm going to take. Many variables to consider. Last year I considered basing out of the ATC festival in VT and capitalizing on their day hikes.
Jack, when i slackpacked thru Andover, I ran into the same group of thru hikers for three sections that stayed at the Andover guest house for 3 nights, and then also ran into them in Stratton. What's the difference? And then there was Dalton. That was a bit confusing when I kept running into NOBOs heading south with daypacks.

peakbagger
10-22-2009, 15:29
Trail journals has a journal from Big Red around 2002, he did a traditional thru hike for about half way and then switched over to key swapping with another couple due to some injuries. Its a great read, he had no backpacking experience, weighed over 300 pounds to begin with and had a great attitude. I met him somewhere around Mt Rogers in VA.

The same year we met a thru hiker from California with an Irish Setter (the name was somebody and red dog).They were dayhiking the AT and meeting his wife everynight to stay in their Winnebago. She stayed back at the camper and shuttled it everyday. It was her retirement present to him (and it sounds like she had no interest in hiking). They apparently did a lot of trail magic for regular thru hikers they encountered. He carried a backpack with enough gear for an overnight every day.

horicon
10-23-2009, 12:22
I have no real answer for the leneth of the hike I will say 10 to 15 miles. I screwed my knee at work a had two knee operations on the same. I wouldlike to stay away brom backpacking.

ShoelessWanderer
10-23-2009, 12:51

GREAT story! Thanks for sharing! And shame on them for making their fellow females look bad!

Powder River
10-31-2009, 19:17
You have backpacking and you have hiking. Neither one, superior to the other. They are just different sports. Just consider this approach to be long term intense hiking of the AT. The whole idea of coming back to the car is NOT to camp a few yards from the car at roadside. It's either to get off the ground, or camp at a campground with a shower.
I have the state of VT to do. I haven't yet decided the approach I'm going to take. Many variables to consider. Last year I considered basing out of the ATC festival in VT and capitalizing on their day hikes.
Jack, when i slackpacked thru Andover, I ran into the same group of thru hikers for three sections that stayed at the Andover guest house for 3 nights, and then also ran into them in Stratton. What's the difference? And then there was Dalton. That was a bit confusing when I kept running into NOBOs heading south with daypacks.

If you wouldn't mind me asking, are you usually alone when you car camp? This sounds dangerous to me. I learned my lesson to NEVER camp near road crossings, especially in areas with known trouble from the locals. (Erwin area in TN comes to mind) The woods are full of hikers that you know, while road crossings are, well, deserted road crossings in the middle of nowhere. Besides, I can't imagine anything more comfortable than a tent and a warm sleeping bag. Is comfort really the only reason you take the car? Because it seems that sometimes when I am on the road I need a computer. But I've never been tempted to take my tower pc, screen, keyboard, mouse, speakers, wires and a power strip along. It just isn't all that practical.

modiyooch
11-01-2009, 09:53
I don't bring my computer because I'm a computer programmer by trade and I'm on vacation. Work hard; play hard. But, now that I have a Netbook which is 8.5" by 11", lightweight and fits in by pocketbook, I am almost tempted. $300 wireless from Best Buy.
I don't sleep at roadsides. Once I go to sleep, I DO NOT want to be awakened for any reason whether police, punks, transients. Most of my car camping has been PA and north. We find safe places. For example, a couple of hostels have let us sleep in the driveway and just charged us for showers. Also, locals have pointed out some good places.
For me, it is more comfortable. I can handle the ground, but my husband cannot; so if he is supporting me I tend to car camp. I initially started the car camping when I was alone in PA. I was apprehensive of all the road crossings. I did utilize campgrounds in that state for the most part. Then, I got hooked on it. I never car camped below the mason dixon line except one weekend in the SNP when I was with a group.
I can do both.

modiyooch
11-01-2009, 09:57
another reason for not sleeping in the car at roadside, is the danger of being hit by traffic. I wouln't be able to sleep with that on my mind. as with tent camping; it has to be safe.

Powder River
11-03-2009, 03:51
I don't bring my computer because I'm a computer programmer by trade and I'm on vacation. Work hard; play hard. But, now that I have a Netbook which is 8.5" by 11", lightweight and fits in by pocketbook, I am almost tempted. $300 wireless from Best Buy.

I was just making an analogy there- meaning that fussing with moving a car from trailhead to trailhead seems like a whole lot of work (more work than dragging a desktop pc on say, a business trip)

But seriously whatever way you hike is up to you. I was just curious about the safety thing.