PDA

View Full Version : Funny, odd, interesting: gear stories.

Doctari
10-19-2009, 20:25
In 1991 I set foot on the AT for the first time with a pack on. My then 10 year old (eldest) son & I were going to hike from Clingman's dome to Elkmont Campground That included about 1.5 miles of the AT. About 50' south of The side trail on the AT, there was a pair of Very Well Worn hiking shoes (nearly gone soles, duct tape, etc.) about 20' up in a tree. I laughed, but also, & I can't tell you what they told me, but I felt like there was so much history in those boots, and the fact that they were way up in a tree was equally poignant and funny. 3 years later, they were unsurprisingly gone.

OK, I just had an epiphany: I have always liked hiking, day hikes mostly, but I think (Looking back now) that was the turning point that made me a "real" hiker. I can't truly say why, but in fact, I did my first section hike the next year.

I know in the back of my mind that I have seen other stray pieces of gear, or stuff in use that moved me or made me laugh, but right now I can't think of them.

txag
10-19-2009, 22:02
REI customer return shelf. Backpacking boots sitting there with the Vibram soles worn FLAT. Tag said "customer dissatisfied".

I have always hoped that this was a starving student - and that he is now subsidizing other starving students equipment.

Schuetzen
10-20-2009, 09:16
I have returned a number of items to REI, some which I ordered because they were not in stock at the local store and were not what I expected when they arrived and others when I found something I liked better before I used the original item. These Items were all unused and in the orginal packaging. I have returned a very few things which have failed long before wearing out which is one of the main reasons I buy a lot of stuff from REI, if somthing fails before it should there is never a problem as there often is at other stores. I never abuse the return policy, if I wear it out I buy a replacement.

Blissful
10-20-2009, 10:52
Grandma Gatewood's sneakers at MRO was interesting to see. A pioneer for us techies out there now.

ShelterLeopard
10-20-2009, 10:56
Wouldn't you have loved to meet her? It would've been so awesome to walk into a hostel or shelter and see Grandma Gatewood sitting there.