PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have a residual gear list from their thru?

David@whiteblaze
10-19-2009, 21:06
What I am looking for is as informative as you have. The gear that you now have gone through and wish you had brought, the actual gear (less food, food baggies are good.) you started from one end with, the residual gear that you had left (after oz. saving) the gear you shaved and why you saved it. if you can email to me at: [email protected] with this list and post when you do. if you just have a list that you made up of your pack that you would bring, or an average thru- menu. all would be much appreciated. ty.

Mags
10-20-2009, 00:23
Here you go:
http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Backpacking-and-Hiking-documents/gear_lists.html

Rain Man
10-20-2009, 10:07
Here you go:
http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Backpacking-and-Hiking-documents/gear_lists.html

Hey Mags, thanks for going to all the trouble to compile and post that (those) comparative list(s). Very helpful! I've done many of the things you did, but not all. I've yet to try an ultra-light pack, for instance. Being an "old man," I need a better sleep pad than you, too. But I feel good to have my base weight, sans food and water, down to around 20 lbs. Again, thanks for the list!

Rain:sunMan

garlic08
10-20-2009, 10:25
As usual, Mags just blows the mind with his ready-to-eat info.

For many hikers on multiple long trails, you can see a similar evolution and similar exponential curve. It was relatively quick and easy for me to cut from 30 to 15 pounds, much slower and harder to go from 15 to 10. In the last few hikes, it's been a case of breaking or losing something I thought was critical, then figuring out I could go without it (water filter, camera, paperback, pocket knife, headlamp, or even a spoon, for instance). The last big leap I made was going stoveless--that let me use a smaller pack and ended up cutting two pounds and got me below the 10 pound threshold. Lately I've been using much less water treatment and I've quit carrying a spare set of Aqua Mira, which cut three ounces. I've also gotten much better at packing the right amount of food and carrying less water, which is often way more important than the base weight. It's a slow evolution, and you need to figure out what works for you.

I've emailed my AT pack list.

Blissful
10-20-2009, 10:44
All I can tell you is that my Thermarest seat cushion went all the way. :)

lazy river road
10-20-2009, 13:22
Mags great list this and great website....that will def help me plan for my E2E on the LT this summer....

Mags
10-20-2009, 14:56
Thanks for the kinds words all.

Definitely more than one way to skin a cat. I honestly think most people can easily get into into the 15-20 lbs BPW range without making any radical changes in their hiking and camping styles.

A good friend of mine is a prime example. He likes to hike 10-12 MPD at the most, is in his mid-40s, enjoys time spent in camp and goes out perhaps 3-4 wkds a season. He is about as average a backpacker you can get!

When I did a gear makeover for him, I was able to get him the GoLite equivalent of a framed ULA Pack, GoLite down sleeping bag and a GoLite primaloft jacket (major sale that year at the Boulder HQ. Dirt cheap!). A small pot, a canister stove, a real two-person tent and even a relatively light thermarest. I chose gear for him and not me. :)

Long story short? His BPW is 18 lbs. I don't see why a person has to take heavier gear than that (or so) if they are in a position to buy new gear. His gear is functionally the same as traditional gear..but without the weight. It is not any less safe and does not require any more knowledge than traditional gear. And his comfort level in camp is no different. Needless to say, his comfort level while HIKING is much better. (Well, actually his comfort level in camp is better now. He is no longer as tired and sore!)

As Garlic said, it is indeed more difficult to get below 15 lbs. The gear starts becoming more expensive and/or you need to go more minimalist.

Below 10lbs? You better be comfortable and knowledgeable in a wide range of outdoor situations in addition to being comfortable with a minimalist kit.

I am at about 8 # 12 oz now. (Get rid of the camera equipment? Right at 8 lbs). To go lower would require me to go eve more minimalist, pick and choose my my seasons with care, and perhaps spend more money. I've reached my limit pretty much. And I'm cool with that. :)

As another thru-hiker friend said once "Losing pounds is cheap; losing ounces is expensive". To me that can mean monetarily, time wise or comfort level.

John B
10-20-2009, 15:18
Mags, if you have time, maybe talk a bit about clothes. When looking through your list, we're on about the same page for a 15-18 lbs base, but evidently I seem to carry too many clothes. For example, it seems you carry just one pair of socks? I'm carrying two. I also carry an extra pair of pants and an extra long sleeve shirt just because I don't like to be grungy in camp. I take it that you get by pretty much with what you're hiking in plus gear for inclement or cold temps?

And the stove? I remember Sgt Rock did a chart that showed the alch. stove plus fuel in comparison to a compressed gas stove and canister. I can't remember which was which, but one of the systems was more advantageos for weight if, say, you were going to be out X days without resupply. I take it that you strictly use an alch stove now when you carry cooking gear?

I echo the others -- that's a great chart and very helpful.

Mags
10-20-2009, 15:33
Mags, if you have time, maybe talk a bit about clothes.

---SNIP--

I take it that you get by pretty much with what you're hiking in plus gear for inclement or cold temps?

That is indeed correct.

I do take 3 pairs of socks:
1 on my feet
1 in my pack (rotated every day)
1 'sacred stash' of fleece socks that I ONLY wear in camp. Dry socks in bed = happy Mags. :)

As for the other clothes, you right. Other than the socks, I only carry one pair of anything: Shorts, long underwear top/bottom, hat, etc. I also take a lined windshirt rather than a warmer (and heavier) jacket because I am generally moving all day and spend little time in camp. If it is cold, I'm in my bag.

But, all this gear is situational. For "shoulder season" hiking (below 15F at night, but not quite winter), I will take a heavier jacket (Montbell Thermawrap) and perhaps a heavier shell. On social backpacks, where I am spending more time in camp, I'll often take my shoulder season gear and sometimes even Army liner pants.

And the stove? I remember Sgt Rock did a chart that showed the alch. stove plus fuel in comparison to a compressed gas stove and canister. I

Well, I'll first say, take a gander at my updated gear list (May 2009). (http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Backpacking-and-Hiking-documents/Mags-Gear-List.html)

I give props to Garlic for this idea: I no longer carry a stove for longer hikes.

I went stoveless on the AZT section hike, my San Juans trek and my Tahoe Rim Trail thru this past year. Easier, no futz factor, some weight savings, less space, etc. It is not for everyone, but it works for me.

Now, for stoves, a rough rule of thumb is that an alchy stove is good for 8-10 boils before the weight savings of stove is negated by the amount of fuel you are using.

I prefer to think in terms of boils vs days because, well, not everyone is doing 2 hot meals a day. For the minimalist backpacker who wants a hot meal once a day, an alchy stove works well. Why? Because ~10 days is the absolute most people want to go without a resupply. Esp. if they are backpacking as opposed to base camping.

If you tend to resupply less often (and tend to do more hot meals per day and like your multiple hot drinks), a lightweight canister stove (they are all pretty functionally the same and all weigh ~3 oz) is much more efficient.

I wrote a stove comparison guide. (http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Backpacking-and-Hiking-documents/stove_comparison.html) It is an overall view rather than a specific stove view.

In the comparison is very much my gear philosophy..THERE IS NO BEST GEAR. :)

It is what is best for you based on your personal comfort and safety levels. And that can change not only from person to person but also from trip to trip. :)

John B
10-20-2009, 18:58
Thanks for the info. I know you'd probably rather listen to Britney Spears' new CD than talk about gear, and while I agree that there is no "best gear" list because it's inherently situational, still I'm sure that you can understand that beginning hikers (me, for example) can learn a lot and hopefully avoid expensive, unnecessary gear from people with lots of experience.

And I'll just say right up front that stoveless hiking ain't for me. I'm a momma's boy and I like coffee in the morning and hot chocolate at night and I'm not giving it up even if I have to carry a cast iron kettle to make the stuff. :)

Mags
10-20-2009, 19:35
Heh..no worries. It is not so much I hate to discuss gear..it is I don't enjoy the finer details of titanium whatchamahoosey discussions. We need gear wonks; it is why we have mass produced and high quality lightweight gear. Doesn't mean I want to discuss ad nauseum why one 3 oz canister is stove is far superior. ;)

I love helping new people...they are less likely to do the above! :D

So..ask away. I may seem grumpy and pithy at times, but i am marshmallow inside. ;)

As for stoveless...hey, I don't blame you. Then again, you should see what I bring on hut trips. ;) (10 lbs of pork roast? Enough ingredient to serve linguine carbonarra to a dozen people? Etc. Etc.)

Speaking of coffee... Well, just ask Garlic what I was like one morning when I stayed with him and Grease Pot. (What ?!?! No coffee ?!?!? Only tea??!?! I'll take two bags!)

garlic08
10-20-2009, 21:05
Speaking of coffee... Well, just ask Garlic what I was like one morning when I stayed with him and Grease Pot. (What ?!?! No coffee ?!?!? Only tea??!?! I'll take two bags!)

And I'm also not forgetting the sprint to the coffee shop in Patagonia, AZ and their putting up the "Closed" sign after they served you!

Mags
10-21-2009, 00:13
And I'm also not forgetting the sprint to the coffee shop in Patagonia, AZ and their putting up the "Closed" sign after they served you!

My buddy, who is the chief nurse at a methadone clinic, may have seen less scary sights than me being all excited over my caffeine fix. :D (Also may explain why the door was shut when I left ????)