PDA

View Full Version : Knees feel funny when I'm NOT hiking?

ShelterLeopard
10-20-2009, 13:03
Okay, I know there've been plenty of threads on knee injuries, hurt knees on trail, etc... but my knees have never hurt while hiking (so far), but they sometimes hurt when I run, and just in general when I'm not doing anything physical. This morning I woke up, thought my knees felt stiff, and realized they actually felt sore, and still feel kind of sore- they feel like that pretty often. More so in the last year, possibly because I've put on a little weight. Does this sound like something I should be worried about for my upcoming thru hike?

Since I've never had knee problems while hiking before (including this past summer) I figured it wasn't an issue, but I dunno... I suppose, if worse comes to worse I'll bring emergency knee braces on trail for my thru.

Or maybe if I just figure out how to stretch properly?

Gray Blazer
10-20-2009, 14:12
Sounds like you've figured it out. Good luck and don't forget your ibuprofin.

ShelterLeopard
10-20-2009, 18:06
Thanks- just checking.

sbhikes
10-20-2009, 22:25
My knees normally don't hurt. But after both my hikes they hurt. Not during. Only after. It seems so strange. But it goes away after a while.

Try to avoid ibuprofen if you can. I swear by EmergenC Joint Relief formula. I had a much better hike this year taking that even though I walked more miles per day. I needed ibuprofen much less. I usually did not take any.

Long feet
10-20-2009, 23:56
Be very careful with your knees. I've had a persistent ACL problem for years, and I have the same signs; It hurts when I don't use my knees. Actually it's sore when I use them a lot, but when my quadriceps are strong I don't feel like I'm going to do any more damage.

harryfred
10-21-2009, 01:35
Had the same problem coming of a cruise in the Navy, " Sailors legs" Hiking is not the same as running. While I do not know how you spend your day I would say don't worry about it.

Spokes
10-21-2009, 06:02
Lot's of runners get "phantom pain" in anticipation of the big event.

Check out this handy guide to knee pain to help diagnose the more serious stuff

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/imagepages/19506.htm

or here to learn how to do your own knee exam:

http://orthopedics.about.com/od/hipknee/a/kneesymptoms_2.htm

ShelterLeopard
10-21-2009, 10:15
Yeah, I know it isn't the same as running- it just makes me a bit nervous when my knees hurt, all the same. And thanks for the advice all! I'll try the emergen-c soon.

tammons
10-22-2009, 12:39
At 19 YO unless you have had problems with your knees in the past I would not worry about it too much.

Maybe you need better shoes or run on a softer surface.

If you have problems on the trail just pick up some ace bandages on the thru or take a break.

Pack light.
6# big 4
12# base
25# max with food for 5 days and 2L water is a good goal.

Reminds me of a girl that I used to see at the gym. Talking one day she complained about her knees. I asked how far she was running. She said 10-12 miles 7 days a week, + biking several times a week, + working out with weights.

Well anyway she was very thin and very fit.

ShelterLeopard
10-22-2009, 12:42
Yeah- I'm sure I'll be fine. I'm just really excited about my thru, and I'd rather not have ANY injuries of any sort. (Including knee problems and shin splints)

Rambler1
10-22-2009, 12:43
I'm sure it's just a simple case of aging.....

Rambler1
10-22-2009, 12:44
ok...also....try doing no weight standing squats everyday. I do about 100 a day. keep tendons and ligaments strong.

tammons
10-22-2009, 13:02
Another thing that can happen is your outer quad muscle ( I think thats right or visa vera) gets stronger and out of balance with your inner quad causing your kneecap not to track right. That is pretty common and can cause some pretty nasty knee pain.

One method of dealing with that is to do leg extensions on a machine to build up the inner quad.

hikingshoes
10-22-2009, 13:07
Yeah,i think he is getting old.lol have fun hiking.Charles
I'm sure it's just a simple case of aging.....

tammons
10-22-2009, 13:09
Gees, I cant even remember when I was 19YO. My knees are still holding together, barely.

Spokes
10-22-2009, 13:49
I did an informal survey of thru-hikers this year and discovered by far most NOBO's complained of left knee pain while most SOBO's complained of right knee pain.

Freaky huh?

ShelterLeopard
10-23-2009, 10:52
So, do flip floppers have pain in both knees?

harryfred
10-23-2009, 13:01
Most of the flip-floppers I have met are headed south after the worst of PA's famous rocks. I'd have to say yes.:D

ShelterLeopard
10-23-2009, 17:08
It's great to read the Kirkridge Shelter log during hiker season- since it's the last PA shelter, everyone vents about the rocks so much.

Pennsylvania Rocks! Pennsylvania. Rocks.