PDA

View Full Version : Anyone feed their dog TVP?

WritinginCT
10-20-2009, 15:19
I've been trying to find a way to keep Peanut well fed on the trail while not carrying 999lbs of kibble. She's a lean 50lb boxer that eats about 3-4 cups of kibble a day- the weight of which adds up quickly.

I have discovered that she loves TVP however and I'm considering scaling back the kibble and giving her TVP to supplement. I was wondering if anyone else supplemented their dog's diet with TVP and what they thought of it. TVP is much, much lighter to carry, and as I said- she loves eating it.

:)

Feral Bill
10-20-2009, 15:23
Does she have a pack? Should be able to carry her own food. Decent kibble has full nutrition for your dog. Get a small bag in each town and you,re all set.

mudhead
10-20-2009, 17:31
Ask your vet.

Flavored TVP?

sheepdog
10-20-2009, 19:09
I don't think it is wise to have a dog work hard all day and then skimp on its food. An important part of a dogs food is fat. Does TVP have the right amount of fat? I raise hunting dogs and when you work them hard you feed them good.

Phreak
10-20-2009, 20:46
TVP is not something I would give my dogs.

WritinginCT
10-21-2009, 13:56
Does she have a pack? Should be able to carry her own food. Decent kibble has full nutrition for your dog. Get a small bag in each town and you,re all set.

She does have her own pack, I was just trying to lighten up the kibble load a little. Good news is that she eats just about any kibble so finding some in town won't be an issue. Plus I'm planning on extra dehydrated carrots and green beans to give her for a little boost.

Ask your vet.

Flavored TVP?

lol it's on my list for her appointment next week. Although from a lot of the reading I've been doing online, TVP seems to be a common component in moist dog food.

She actually likes just the plain ol', rehydrated TVP. I made a batch the other day to add to spaghetti sauce and let her try some for haha's- she loved it.

I don't think it is wise to have a dog work hard all day and then skimp on its food. An important part of a dogs food is fat. Does TVP have the right amount of fat? I raise hunting dogs and when you work them hard you feed them good.

I would never do that. She gets 2 cups of kibble in the morning and 2 cups at dinner and the bowls are down all day- sometimes she eats it all, sometimes she doesn't. And there are days she's particularly hungry and I'll give her more. Just a matter of knowing your dog.

As I mentioned up above, I found out that TVP is common in canned dog food. I don't think plain TVP can replace all of her kibble, but if I could substitute some, it would save pack weight (lol and she'd think it was a treat!). I'm going to talk with my vet and see what he says. If it's a go then I'll try her on it here at home first to see how she takes to it.

TVP is not something I would give my dogs.

I hadn't thought about it for the dogs previously myself, but she really likes it and I found out that it's actually common in canned dog food.

mudhead
10-21-2009, 18:32
I had a dog that liked kidney and pinto beans.

He only got a few at a time.

It was entertaining feeding him individual beans, and watching him run to his spot with his prize, but like I said, only a few.

Wise Old Owl
10-25-2009, 11:21
OH BOY... Some here at WB recommend Tofu Jerky and I made a batch with a barbecue jerky coating and it turned out quite well, my family loved it, I didn't care for it. So I gave what was left to Rugby and he loved it as a motivation snack. I doubt there is anything wrong with TVP as well other than the lack of fat.

I wouldn't substitute kibble - but my dog gets clearly board to death with "just kibble" and no he does not get plates to lick but I have noticed him skip kibble meals.

Feral Bill
10-25-2009, 12:52
Of course, you can use Peanut as your personal, self propelled garbage disposall. Saves you packing any scraps out, and is easier to live with than a teenager, which also can fit that roll. Good doggy!

Wise Old Owl
10-25-2009, 13:32
Yup I found it, TVP is in canned dog foods.

take-a-knee
10-25-2009, 14:57
Canines evolved to eat a meat-based diet. Humans evolved to eat a meat-based diet supplemented my vegetable. You are free to rebel against that but it may not work out well for you or your dog. My dogs love chocolate-chip cookies but I don't think they should live off of them.

Feral Bill
10-25-2009, 16:57
Canines evolved to eat a meat-based diet. Humans evolved to eat a meat-based diet supplemented my vegetable. You are free to rebel against that but it may not work out well for you or your dog. My dogs love chocolate-chip cookies but I don't think they should live off of them.

According to my vet, dogs (like people) can live well on a properly chosen vegetarian diet. Cats can't. Most kibbles are largely cereal based, with some meat added.

sarahgirl
10-28-2009, 19:40
I've been trying to find a way to keep Peanut well fed on the trail while not carrying 999lbs of kibble. She's a lean 50lb boxer that eats about 3-4 cups of kibble a day- the weight of which adds up quickly.

I have discovered that she loves TVP however and I'm considering scaling back the kibble and giving her TVP to supplement. I was wondering if anyone else supplemented their dog's diet with TVP and what they thought of it. TVP is much, much lighter to carry, and as I said- she loves eating it.

I think this is a great idea! I will be carrying plenty of it for myself, and think it's a good idea to add some to my pups kibble, maybe mix in a little gravy, as suggested here before, and than in town buy her spam and other fatty stuff. Tofu jerky huh...may have to try that.

mudhead
10-29-2009, 08:57
Can of Pedigree might be better than Spam.

Beware the "I can suck the gravy off and spit the "meatball" out trick."

Figure out at home the various textures of canned food.

kanga
10-29-2009, 09:02

please don't do this. your dog will need more protein not less. you'd be punishing your dog so you could save weight for yourself.

kanga
10-29-2009, 09:03
and no, vegetable protein is not the same as meat.