PDA

View Full Version : Posting an excel spreadsheet

babbage
10-20-2009, 16:53
I have my gear list on an excel spreadsheet - a spreadsheet that I got from a forum. If I save it as a webpage can I then post it in a thread?

Or what?

atraildreamer
10-20-2009, 20:19
I have my gear list on an excel spreadsheet - a spreadsheet that I got from a forum. If I save it as a webpage can I then post it in a thread?

Or what?

Just make it an attachment to your post.

This will save the WB some space, and allow forum readers to download and open the spreadsheet if they want to review it.

See "manage attachments" below the "Submit Reply" text box.

Attach Files Valid file extensions: bmp doc gif gpx jpe jpeg jpg kmz pdf png psd txt xls zip

babbage
10-20-2009, 21:21
That is how I will do it - I will convert to pdf then attach to post. Good suggestion, my friend.

Rockhound
10-20-2009, 21:21
please explain to me what the hell spreadsheets have to do with hiking. Its a waste of time that serves no purpose in regards to hiking. If you are an over analytical anal non-spontaneous pencil pushing geek I can see how you may derive some pleasure from this, but please explain how this will help you on your hike. If anything it will detract from the enjoyment during your hike.

Reid
10-20-2009, 21:47
let's see it. I had one in excel that I liked but can't seem to find it anywhere again.

MintakaCat
10-21-2009, 05:29
please explain to me what the hell spreadsheets have to do with hiking. Its a waste of time that serves no purpose in regards to hiking. If you are an over analytical anal non-spontaneous pencil pushing geek I can see how you may derive some pleasure from this, but please explain how this will help you on your hike. If anything it will detract from the enjoyment during your hike.

I use an excel spreadsheet to calculate the weight of my pack. Every backpacking item I have is on the spreadsheet along with its weight in ounces.

When I’m planning a trip, what I bring is dependant on whether or not I bring my hammock or one of my tents. Also, other factors are involved such as cold or warm weather items, along with filtering water or using a water treatment. Other factors include the type of stove I will bring.

As I put together my checklist, the spreadsheet will alert me when the weight is starting to get too heavy. At that point, I have to figure ways to drop the weight, such as using a water treatment rather than a water filter is a good example.

So yes, the spreadsheet is very helpful, and when I weigh the pack, its right at the calculated weight of the spreadsheet. It shows me instantly how my decisions on what to bring impacts the weight my pack.

Plus, when I print it out, I check off each item as I pack it so I don’t forget anything.

Deerleg
10-21-2009, 06:57
You must be one of those exceptionally bright guys that knows what you want and can organize your trip in your head, or maybe you like the spontaneity of having cold hands because you forgot your gloves.

Good for you.

For the rest of us dummies a gear list (spread sheet for some) might help us remember our gloves.

babbage
10-21-2009, 08:22
If you are an over analytical anal non-spontaneous pencil pushing geek I can see how you may derive some pleasure from this.

(reads post...panic attack starts...stumbles in corrective shoes...reaches for puffer...starts typing)

Pebble Pup - I almost emptied an entire asthma-puffer after I read your post.
I am very upset with you, mister... I DO NOT PUSH PENCILS!! (but the rest of it is true.)

(pauses for another shot from the inhaler)

As soon as I get back from the Star Trek '09 convention I have to weigh the gear and enter the information - then I will post the spreadsheet for analysis by the pro's.

atraildreamer
10-21-2009, 11:21
That is how I will do it - I will convert to pdf then attach to post. Good suggestion, my friend.

Or...you could leave it the .xls spreadsheet format so other hikers could use to make their own gearlists. :-?

Rockhound
10-21-2009, 17:04
I stand by my original post. I will add (for Minta and Deerleg) gram weenies and alzhimers victims to the list of those who require a spreadsheet to go hiking.

Maddog
10-21-2009, 17:19
wow! spreadsheet? really? :(

MintakaCat
10-21-2009, 18:31
MintakaCat (aka gram weenie)

:D I like that label.

mudhead
10-21-2009, 18:33
Pound wiener with that avatar.:)

warraghiyagey
10-21-2009, 20:58
I stand by my original post. I will add (for Minta and Deerleg) gram weenies and alzhimers victims to the list of those who require a spreadsheet to go hiking.
Agreed. . .
If you need a spreadsheet to go hiking, do yourself a favor and don't go. . . all the other aspects of hiking that aren't beholden to spread sheets will do you in in short form. . . . pretty much. . .

fredmugs
10-26-2009, 12:02
Wow! That's a lot of hatred.

Let me guess: you just hit a trail head and start hiking with no knowledge of water sources, road crossings, re-supply points, etc?

Prior to my 100 - 175 mile section hikes I look at the ALDHA thru hikers guide and then note the distances, water sources, shelters, hostels, twi-light and tw-night times, and re-supply points all on an Excel spreadsheet.

I then have all of the information I need for a 7 - 10 day hike on a single piece of paper.

I find that much more enjoyable than going around with my head firmly lodged in my rear end.

The Old Fhart
10-26-2009, 12:12
If you check Pebble Puppy's profile page, under the section 'FRIENDS', it says: "Pebble Puppy has not made any friends yet "

:D:D