PDA

View Full Version : Gettting the teflon off my pot

babbage
10-20-2009, 17:11
After years of use the teflon coating is peeling off my blacklite pot in some areas. I never needed a nonstick coolpot anyways, but it was a freebee. I do not want to replace it, but I want to go ahead and clean the teflon off of it without doing harm to aluminum. Has anyone ever done this?

Many Walks
10-20-2009, 17:26
Never done it, but check with a local weld shop to see if they have a sandblast. Set at a very low pressure that won't hurt the aluminum it should take the coating right off. You'll end up with a new looking pan. Be sure they understand it has to be a light blast pressure so the aluminum won't be damaged or warped. It shouldn't cost much to do.

Wise Old Owl
10-20-2009, 20:42
What you ask is not a waste of money, but a waste of time. Most outfitters still offer non coated pots and my local Shopright caters to spanish and they do not care for coated pots, so there is a great selection of aluminum cookwear.

It didn't cost you anything so just toss it.

Dogwood
10-20-2009, 23:17
You can get a new light wt. aluminum pot for less than $10.

DirtBagger
10-21-2009, 14:56
I think I can get it off with a little elbow grease. Some of it came off on its own, so maybe the rest will give up without too much fight. I like the sandblast idea, but now feel challenged to do tihs for no dinero. I read a post from another forum where the guy used steel wool and laquer thinner to remove his. I have steel wool, but no thinner. I will try steel wool and water and see how it goes. Not sure I want to scrub a chemical into the pot. If the stuff does ot come off I will just use it as is. Dupont wesite FAQ states that teflon is not toxic and that ingesting the chips is not harmful.

Anyways, thanks for the suggestions.

wrongway_08
10-21-2009, 15:19
sandpaper. Fine grit. elbow grease. Done.

mudhead
10-21-2009, 18:46
Before I used sandpaper, I'd try Easy Off, if I had it under the sink.

Or paint stripper. Wonder if that would react with AL? Maybe not a great idea.

Dogwood
10-21-2009, 19:20
UMMM. this is something you eat out of? flaking Teflon, laquer thinner, Easy Off

What else do you expect DuPont, a chemical company, bringing the wonders of chemistry to the public, to say about Teflon?

sheepdog
10-21-2009, 19:31
gotta die of sumpin

LIhikers
10-21-2009, 23:20
My bet is that if you call MSR/Cascade Designs that they'd replace the pot under waranty if the teflon's peeling off. Of course you'd probably have to ship the old one back to them which would cost a couple of dollars.

babbage
10-22-2009, 09:37
Apparently from what I have read, the warranty on those pots is one year. And MSR stands behind that warranty to the letter. My set is way older than one year. If I sent it back I don't think I would get anything. I would love to send it back and get a new one -- that would really be nice.

Jonnycat
10-22-2009, 11:49
UMMM. this is something you eat out of? flaking Teflon, laquer thinner, Easy Off

What else do you expect DuPont, a chemical company, bringing the wonders of chemistry to the public, to say about Teflon?

Teflon is non-reactive with most everything, this is why it is used for NON STICK coatings.

Laquer thinner is a volatile solvent; boil some water in it and wash it wish detergent and it's clean.

Easy off is just lye; rinse it well, wash it, rinse it with a baking soda solution if you are really paranoid.

Above all else, try to use your intellect to understand the world around you, it makes things a lot easier.

The Weasel
10-22-2009, 12:59
Apparently from what I have read, the warranty on those pots is one year. And MSR stands behind that warranty to the letter. My set is way older than one year. If I sent it back I don't think I would get anything. I would love to send it back and get a new one -- that would really be nice.

If it came from REI or similar outfitters, the warranty is lifetime.

TW

wheatus
10-22-2009, 14:05
i would sand it off. start with something like 600 grit sandpaper and get all of the coating off. from there i would polish the aluminum by using finer grits of sandpaper (larger numbers) finishing by switching to steel wool or a polishing compound if you have some.

a die grinder or dremel will make polishing a lot easier not to metion save some hours.

if you are going to have to buy the sandpaper and steel wool, it is probably just as cheap to buy new.