PDA

View Full Version : Newer hiker friendly hostel accomodations

Lybarger
10-20-2009, 18:46
I hiked most of the AT 10 years ago. Looking to give it another try next year. I stayed at all the "famous" hostels along the trail: Blueberry Patch, Elmers, Kincora, Del Water Gap Church and Shaws. All these were a great value for a tired, dirty hiker.

Looking to hear about some of the newer establishments who treat hikers right. Am willing to pay a fair price for good services provided.

zeus307
10-20-2009, 20:02
you have to try HIKER HOSTEL! Josh and Leigh are da best. you have to try them out. 16 bucks a night and breakfast!!

Lone Wolf
10-20-2009, 20:15
I hiked most of the AT 10 years ago. Looking to give it another try next year. I stayed at all the "famous" hostels along the trail: Blueberry Patch, Elmers, Kincora, Del Water Gap Church and Shaws. All these were a great value for a tired, dirty hiker.

Looking to hear about some of the newer establishments who treat hikers right. Am willing to pay a fair price for good services provided.

Braemar Castle in Hampton. it's been there 25+ years. nobody hardly goes there

Blissful
10-20-2009, 20:27
If The Cabin ever opens again, that was a great place in ME.

bessiebreeze
10-20-2009, 21:39
The "Happy Hiker Hollow", in Atkins, Va., is fairly new, and a fantastic place to stay. The owners, Rambunny and Aqua, are very accomodating, they both have hiked the AT more than once, and their place is about 1 mile from exit 54, interstate 81, in Southern Va. They include breakfast and supper in their price, and have shared and private rooms. I stayed there just recently, and plan to go back. Their house is an old farm house, in a beautiful setting very near the trail.
I give the "Happy Hiker Hollow" a five star rating for hiker stays near the AT.

Bearpaw
10-20-2009, 21:43
Braemar Castle in Hampton. it's been there 25+ years. nobody hardly goes there

Braemar Castle is quite nice and Hampton offers a real town stop with restaurants, grocery store, post office, bar, and so forth. Too bad more folks don't stop there.

Mango
10-20-2009, 21:46
I haven't stayed there, but the Free State Hostel in Maryland is run by BonePac, the first nobo to summit in '06. You'd think he knows what hikers need. Also, I can't imagine a better hostess than Rambunny. She even cuts hair (for a reasonable price).

Awol2003
10-20-2009, 21:55
Mountain Harbour right near the trail in Roan Mtn.

Town's Inn in Harpers Ferry is in a unique building and is as clean as they come, but not cheap.

Tagless
10-21-2009, 07:49
The Green Mountain House (Manchester) and Woods Hole Hostel which reopened this year (south of Parrisburg), and The Dutch Haus (Montebello) should be on your short list. We had great experiences at each of these places. Shaws (Monson) isn't a "newer" hostel, but my wife and I loved that as well.

ARambler
10-21-2009, 08:42
Braemar Castle is quite nice and Hampton offers a real town stop with restaurants, grocery store, post office, bar, and so forth. Too bad more folks don't stop there.

How do you get there? Hitch past Kincora or from W Lake north of Pond Mt.?

Lone Wolf
10-21-2009, 08:46
How do you get there? Hitch past Kincora or from W Lake north of Pond Mt.?
at hwy. 321 hitch west 2 miles

ShelterLeopard
10-21-2009, 13:22
What exactly is the Braemar Castle?

ShelterLeopard
10-21-2009, 13:23
The building, I mean. Is it just called a castle, or does it actually look like one?

Jack Tarlin
10-21-2009, 15:23
Leopard:

It's not a real castle, but it is a pretty big building. It goes back many, many years, probably to the start of ther last century, when the present owner's father was one of the main businessmen in Hampton. The building was constructed to provide house his many workers, who worked in lumber, on local railroads, etc. His son and his family live there today.

As Wolf said, for many years it's been a hiker hostel, and is conveniebntly located in downtown Hampton. In recent years, many folks pass it by, as they just stayed at Kincora Hostel, ten miles back, but the Braemar is a neat place run by great folks and is well worth a visit.

Jeff
10-21-2009, 17:25
Mountain Harbour right near the trail in Roan Mtn.

I second Mountain Harbour. Mary and Terry are fine folks and the breakfast is outstanding.

Although I have not been there, the AT Lodge in Millinocket is run by Ole Man and Navi who worked for Josh and Leigh at Hiker Hostel for several years. I hiked with Ole Man and from hiker comments for the last two seasons, I have heard only excellent reviews.

ShelterLeopard
10-21-2009, 18:45
Leopard:

It's not a real castle, but it is a pretty big building. It goes back many, many years, probably to the start of ther last century, when the present owner's father was one of the main businessmen in Hampton. The building was constructed to provide house his many workers, who worked in lumber, on local railroads, etc. His son and his family live there today.

As Wolf said, for many years it's been a hiker hostel, and is conveniebntly located in downtown Hampton. In recent years, many folks pass it by, as they just stayed at Kincora Hostel, ten miles back, but the Braemar is a neat place run by great folks and is well worth a visit.

Cool- thanks, I'll put it on my list!

Trailweaver
10-21-2009, 23:11
Hiker Hostel -LOCATED in Dahlonega, GA., is really great. They also do a shuttle service for the state of GA.

Wise Old Owl
10-22-2009, 02:31

Where was that Blissful? PM me.

Jeff
10-22-2009, 06:50
The Cabin is in Andover, ME. Only taking "alumni" hikers. Guess they are trying to slow down and enjoy hiker season.

sherrill
10-22-2009, 08:31
The Cabin is in Andover, ME. Only taking "alumni" hikers. Guess they are trying to slow down and enjoy hiker season.

Guess I'll have to pass as I haven't sent in my AT Alumni dues.

Lone Wolf
10-22-2009, 08:45

huh? how elitist is that? sounds like rusty's. :rolleyes:

ShelterLeopard
10-22-2009, 11:42
Hiker Hostel -LOCATED in Dahlonega, GA., is really great. They also do a shuttle service for the state of GA.

They have a great hiker shuttle deal in thru hike beginning season. They'll pick you up from Atlanta or Gainesville and give your room and breakfast and shuttle you to Springer or the approach for $60- that's how much just a shuttle costs from Atlanta to Springer. Pretty good... And I hear they make a mean breakfast!

Lybarger
10-23-2009, 06:26
Thanks to everyone who posted. I appreciate the suggestions.

Canada Goose
10-23-2009, 23:15
huh? how elitist is that? sounds like rusty's. :rolleyes:

The sarcasm is undeserved, 'though anyone who has stayed there would acknowledge that it is, indeed, an elite establishment.

LW, I am aware of your views on hostels, but I bet that if you had the pleasure of staying there, you would make this the exception!

Best Wishes:sun CG

Lone Wolf
10-24-2009, 07:24
The sarcasm is undeserved, 'though anyone who has stayed there would acknowledge that it is, indeed, an elite establishment.

LW, I am aware of your views on hostels, but I bet that if you had the pleasure of staying there, you would make this the exception!

Best Wishes:sun CG

any place that only allows former hikers to stay ain't cool at all

johnnybgood
10-24-2009, 10:40

Not familiar with term "alumni" hikers but it don't sound hiker friendly to me.

warraghiyagey
10-24-2009, 12:57
Maybe. . . but they're just folks like the rest of us. . . and I bet the reason is they like to have hiker's around but maybe don't want a big group everyday all through hiker season. . . seems reasonable to me. . . .:)

This particular place hasn't been mentioned yet on this thread but The White Birches just outside Gorham is quickly becoming one of my favorites. . . excellent folk and extremely hiker friendly in a town that was sorely lacking in this category. . .

The White Birches!!:sun:sun:sun:sun

weary
10-24-2009, 17:47
The Cabin reopened during the Maine thru hiker season this summer and fall, mostly because the other hostel in Andover was frequently full and the proprietors asked if the Cabin would take the surplus.

The Cabin never fully stopped operating. It has continued catering to hikers and others that registered in advance and who wanted mostly just a comfortable bed, rather than full service meals.

I don't know what the plans are for next year. But I won't be surprised if they are open. Marge and Earle can be reached at: [email protected]

Weary

weary
10-24-2009, 18:03
Marge and Earle, like all of us, keep getting older. There comes a time when everyone has to slow down. The Cabin had grown to 14+ hour days for the two owners. One way to cut down on the hours was to restrict their hostel hobby to visits by old friends.

However, as mentioned in another post, The Cabin was open to everyone during the peak thru hiker season. My guess is that will be true next year as well. But that's strictly a guess.

Weary

Symbol
10-24-2009, 23:56
I haven't stayed there, but the Free State Hostel in Maryland is run by BonePac, the first nobo to summit in '06. You'd think he knows what hikers need. Also, I can't imagine a better hostess than Rambunny. She even cuts hair (for a reasonable price).

The Free State Hiker Hostel is a nice place. Top part of a fairly new house. Free Internet and long distance phone service. You can call for pizza delivery from there. I think they will slack you around the area. The kitchem is stocked with pay as you go or pay as you leave snacks and drinks. At least that is the way it was a few years ago when I was there. Nice couple run the place.

Jeff
10-25-2009, 11:58
Not mentioned yet are Chet's Place in Linclon, NH and the Outhouse (Mayors House) in Unionville, NY. Both of these spots have had rave reviews by hikers the past few years.