PDA

View Full Version : Shoes for camp and Town

partinj
10-20-2009, 19:27
Hi everone i got a nice pair of sandals for camp on short hike don't think they will hold up on a long Thur-Hike. I was looking at some shoes from campmor one call Acorn Fleece Scuff the other is by north face call NSE tent mule 2 down slippers the only drawback
is i don't they would be any good fot town wear. What to you guys use for camp and town like to find a pair that would work for town and camp too.

Thank
:-?

Rainman
10-20-2009, 19:33
Crocs. I guess they're old school by now.

Wise Old Owl
10-20-2009, 19:34
Anything for town is fine - you are over thinking it. No Shoes, No Shirt, No Service...

Lone Wolf
10-20-2009, 20:13
Hi everone i got a nice pair of sandals for camp on short hike don't think they will hold up on a long Thur-Hike. I was looking at some shoes from campmor one call Acorn Fleece Scuff the other is by north face call NSE tent mule 2 down slippers the only drawback
is i don't they would be any good fot town wear. What to you guys use for camp and town like to find a pair that would work for town and camp too.

Thank

i use the shoes i hike in. just don't tie the laces. or go barefoot. no need for "camp shoes"

garlic08
10-20-2009, 21:15
Another vote for no camp shoes. Carrying camp shoes was a mistake for me and it took about 350 miles to figure it out.

Mango
10-20-2009, 21:55
My vote is for crocs or croc knockoffs. They are cushiony, stay on your feet better than flip-flops, very light, and don't absorb water during fords. Having camp shoes also allows more time for your hiking shoes to dry out. But I'm not strong and manly like Lone Wolf - he goes barefooted through snow and ice and on hot pavement.

take-a-knee
10-20-2009, 22:34
i use the shoes i hike in. just don't tie the laces. or go barefoot. no need for "camp shoes"

Yeah, if you think you need Crocs, what you really need is better hiking shoes.

modiyooch
10-20-2009, 22:41
I never had camp shoes until I added crocs to my gear for the water in Maine. It's a nice added benefit. crocs are super light.

Tagless
10-21-2009, 07:41
I carried a pair Waldies on my thru, a Crocs type shoe that are a ounce or two lighter than Crocs. The cushioning they offered was especially helpful in town and in camp on those many days my left heel hurt like heck - a plantar fasciitis type of pain. They were great for fording rivers as well.

paintplongo
10-21-2009, 09:33
I'd recommend wearing the trail runners, hopefully you're using these, in towns. The "townshoes" are always bulky, heavy and excessive. Good Luck!

toegem
10-21-2009, 09:44
Croc want a be's when weight is not an issue or my hiking shoe. Barefeet in the past until I got my trail name.

Lyle
10-21-2009, 09:51
Dollar General's version of Crocks. Six bucks, lighter and more comfortable. Hold up well.

wheatus
10-21-2009, 09:58
i either use crocs or teva sandals. i like to carry them because it is nice to be able to get out of your hiking boots/shoes.

ShelterLeopard
10-21-2009, 10:29

Thank

Birkenstock sandals. I use them as an in camp/ in town shoe. They're so comfortable after boots!!! And they still look a tiny bit better than boots in town.

harryfred
10-21-2009, 11:20
Columbia sandals that were made to hike in. I have actually hiked in them over 100 miles, not all at once. I kinda justify the little extra weight as they're back up shoes. I've tried flip-flops and bare foot I keep comming back to my sandals:banana

LIhikers
10-21-2009, 22:30
I'll throw my vote in for Crocs too.
I find them so comfortable that they've become my everyday, around the house, shoe. I still use them backpacking too as my camp shoe.

ShelterLeopard
10-22-2009, 11:49
On of the nice things about crocs is that they easy to clean- in the rain, I walk around with my rain pants covering my Birks, because they take a while to dry, and they get gross when they're wet. But I still love 'em!

lazy river road
10-22-2009, 12:20
what about chacos, that what i plan on using.......or are these to heavy of a sandal to carry

sheepdog
10-22-2009, 12:39
another vote for crocs.

Spokes
10-22-2009, 13:45
Yes, crocs or croc knock-offs. Add a section of velcro one wrap over each ankle strap for safe and secure river crossings.

XCskiNYC
10-23-2009, 00:28
Crocs seem to be very durable. You could use them as emergency replacement hiking shoes.

JoshStover
10-23-2009, 00:38
what about chacos, that what i plan on using.......or are these to heavy of a sandal to carry

Chacos are super comfy but way to heavy for my liking. I would go with the Crocs if I was you.

ShelterLeopard
10-23-2009, 10:31
One of the nice things about the heavy in camp shoes (like Birks or Chacos) is that if you get bad blisters, you can actually hike in birks or chacos for a bit.

ShelterLeopard
10-23-2009, 10:36
And they really aren't that heavy. But don't take my word for it, I don't get too precise about the weight of my pack at all.

billslade
10-23-2009, 10:41
I used Waldies and loved to switch out of my sometimes wet trail runners in camp.

Another thing I didn't see mentioned is the need to use Waldies / Crocs for showering. Some of the hostels, hotels or free showers were pretty dirty and it would be a good idea to protect your precious feet.