PDA

View Full Version : me, my wife, a dog and a tent?

KidA
08-12-2004, 12:03
Hello,
I plan on doing a thru-hike next spring with my wife and dog and I am unsure on what I should buy for a tent. I'm thinking something with a large vestibule area--so we don't have to sleep with our wet dog, but are there any fairly light weight tents out there that are big enough to accomodate 2 people, gear, and a dog? Has anyone had similar requirements? Any help and reccommendations would be much appreciated?
Thanks,
KidA

Dances with Mice
08-12-2004, 13:01
http://www.biblertents.com/2002/mega_light.html

Shredder
09-01-2004, 15:35
KidA, my wife dog and I used a clip flashlight 3 for years. We still have it although my dog died, and my wife rarely goes Bp'in anymore. It was 5lb and roomy. Not much vestibule though. On the rare occasion when the dog was wet I used a rain jacket to seperate us. The tent worked out well for us. He used a pad made from thin foam computer wrap foam and a tyvek shell. Most of the time he slept between us and under my sleeping bag used as a quilt. I got him on my side when he was wet. We got him a toddlers fleece sweater and he dried fast and stayed warm in it. We had a great time BPin together and he and I had over 1000mi BPin, in fact he and I hiked the entire Superior Hiking Trail together. I'm getting carried away here because I really miss him, but the tent worked out well....Shredder

highway
09-07-2004, 07:40
See George Tarp-Tent at http://www.integraldesigns.com/product_detail.cfm?id=730

It will hold all that and more. Get the mosquito netting door covering

NotYet
09-07-2004, 09:34
My husband, dog and I are all very comfortable and dry under a tarp. It's extremely lightweight, and all of our gear fits. Also, we can both pack up in the rain with only the tarp being wet! Tarps aren't for everyone, but we use ours during all four seasons in the Southern Appalachians. I often use a bug sheet to cover me in bug season. Netting would probably be a good addition for the bug season up north (we started our southbound journey after the bugs had died down, which was our main technique of dealing with the bugs up north!).