PDA

View Full Version : Tent Footprint Replacement

MtnBikerGuy
10-21-2009, 00:17
I pulled out my REI Roadster solo tent the other day for a trip this weekend and have totally lost the footprint. REI does not carry it for this model since it was clearanced out about 2-3 years ago.

Any suggestions for an easy footprint replacement? I was thinking of trying a sheet of TYVEK, but wanted to run it by WB'ers. Thanks in advanced for your input as always.

Lyle
10-21-2009, 01:14
Sheet of 3 mil plastic cut to size. Make sure it is slightly smaller than the tent floor.

Or for something much lighter, polycryo under where you sleep. This is what I've been using for several years now. Very tough.

http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/polycryo_ground_cloth.html?id=xbWYtqwH:76.226.235. 246

skinewmexico
10-21-2009, 01:23
Tyvek works great, and you can find it for free. You might want to run it thru a wash cycle without soap to quiet it down some.

buz
10-21-2009, 13:58
Others have said plastic window covering is like the polycro, but tougher, or at least easier to get. 3 mil plastic is probably just right, as I use 2 mil as a very light throw away after the trip type liner, or 4 mil for our scout tents, it lasts a long time. Also, 2 mil and 4 mil are the only choices at our local HD store.

Toolshed
10-21-2009, 14:29
50'x10' roll of 3-4 mil platic at walmart will run you about $5-$7 and last you the rest of your life.

Blissful
10-26-2009, 11:59
Tyvek.....

Jonnycat
10-26-2009, 16:23
Tyvek. You're not looking for waterproofness, but for something lightweight to reduce the abrasions and pokey sticks from the bottom of your tent. For this application, tyvek excells.

You can get it from ebay or from a kite shop (I used kitebuilder.com (http://www.kitebuilder.com/inventory/otherfabrics.htm))

Montana
10-29-2009, 14:28
What do you need a foot print for? They are extra weight for near zero benefit. Just clear away sticks before setting up your tent, and you will have no problem. Just make sure that you put them back when you pack up in the morning, lnt.