PDA

View Full Version : Pots??

Storminorman18
10-21-2009, 12:45
I'm planning on doing a thru-hike in 2011 and starting to replace some older gear I got. I have used the Jetboil on backpacking trips before, and love it, however I was wondering it it would be necessary to bring pots and pans. Previously, I have just eaten out of the boiling cup. Any advice would be great, thanks :)

Hooch
10-21-2009, 12:48
Eating out of the cup should be fine, no need for the extra weight and bulk of separate pots and pans. Or just use the Jetboil to heat water and go with freezer bg cooking. Experiment and see what works for you before you hit the trail. Good luck, whatever you decide.

Lyle
10-21-2009, 12:49
If you have the Jetboil and like it, no reason it won't work for a thru. A long distance hike is just a series of short hikes strung together gear-wise, so whatever you are used to using will work. There are lighter options, however, and they are cheap to try out - homemade Pepsi can stove.

Storminorman18
10-21-2009, 12:50
thanks yall :)

Tagless
10-21-2009, 18:46
Another option...

Google "Freezer Bag Cooking", which involves pouring hot water in a freezer bag with food and using that to eat out of.

DapperD
10-21-2009, 20:26
I'm planning on doing a thru-hike in 2011 and starting to replace some older gear I got. I have used the Jetboil on backpacking trips before, and love it, however I was wondering it it would be necessary to bring pots and pans. Previously, I have just eaten out of the boiling cup. Any advice would be great, thanks :)Although a little pricey, the MSR Titan Kettle is nice. It is very light and can be used as a pot, mug, or bowl.

Connie
10-21-2009, 21:09
I just got a Gossamer Gear Caldera Keg GVP.

I saw a hot and simmer pop can stove set I would like to try. Where was it?

I also saw an adjustable alcohol stove link in this forum. Where was that?

To answer your question, directly, I like the "Freezer Bag Cooking" method.

I think this guy's "Freezer Bag Cooking" video is the greatest: http://www.ultralightbackpackingonline.info/video1.html

My "pot" is a 24.5 oz. Fosters beer can, the Gossamer Gear Caldera Keg GVP plastic container bottom, and a 1-qt. "freezer bag". I use a brand specifically marked safe to pour-in-hot-water.

jrwiesz
10-22-2009, 02:36
I love to use my Jetboil in conjunction with this cup/mug:

http://www.rei.com/product/785021

Freezer bags work, but I don't like to take the chance, of my valuable meal seeping out of a leaky bag. Plus, there is the trash issue of the multiple plastic bags. Granted, the mug does weigh 7.7 oz., but there are many uses for it on the trail and it is quite durable. On a 10 day supply, and 2 bags a day, you will have weight from the Ziplocs. The biggest plus as I see it, is that I don't get my Jetboil all messy and gooey, as they can be difficult to reach in and clean. So, I boil water in my Jetboil, and do my fixins' in the mug. The mug cleans up easily with warm water or tea after my meal; my bandana wipes out the rest. The mug accepts a carbiner to hang, for easy access outside of your pack if you like.

Many methods out there, this has worked well for me.:sun

Rocket Jones
10-22-2009, 06:10
I love to use my Jetboil in conjunction with this cup/mug:

http://www.rei.com/product/785021

Freezer bags work, but I don't like to take the chance, of my valuable meal seeping out of a leaky bag. Plus, there is the trash issue of the multiple plastic bags. Granted, the mug does weigh 7.7 oz., but there are many uses for it on the trail and it is quite durable. On a 10 day supply, and 2 bags a day, you will have weight from the Ziplocs.
Many methods out there, this has worked well for me.:sun

I like the idea, but I don't understand your reasoning here about the weight of the ziplocks. Even though you "cook" in your mug, you have to carry the meal fixin's in something, so you're probably carrying the ziplocks anyway. Or am I missing something?

Lyle
10-22-2009, 11:36
I like the idea, but I don't understand your reasoning here about the weight of the ziplocks. Even though you "cook" in your mug, you have to carry the meal fixin's in something, so you're probably carrying the ziplocks anyway. Or am I missing something?

If he's like me, he doesn't carry a ziplock for every meal. I carry multiple meals in a gallon ziplock. Would have to carry more if I cooked in them.