PDA

View Full Version : Clothing form base to outer... Please Help~

SOBO 2011
10-21-2009, 14:27
OK... so I know a few things about what clothing to bring on a thru-hike but I need some info on what other people think and or have used. I am planning on bringing long underwear, base layer one of reg. underwear and a wik T-Shirt, base layer two of a long sleeve wik shirt, a fleece or wool third top, with wik pants and a water-proof jacket... socks too.

So with all this in mind I need to know if I am bringing to much~not enough... if I am missing anything... any info on brands and or things you have used before.

Your thoughts on the third top layer... fleece or wool?

Really anything will help...

If it helps~ I am 6 feet 250 chubby athletic build who sweats alot.

Thanks for all the help :D

mister krabs
10-22-2009, 14:33
I use one wicking base layer, one light to medium wool layer and a shell. I also have a puffy layer for camp, down or synthetic, your choice.

LIhikers
10-25-2009, 00:35
You might want one set of long underwear and matching shirt to just sleep in. There's nothing quite as nice as peeling off the sweaty, stinky, clothes and putting on something dry and clean. They'll get to smell as bad as you do pretty quick, but they'll still be clean and dry.
Now that's luxury!

DaveJohns
10-25-2009, 01:03
I use a wicking base layer (Underarmour "coldgear" longsleeve works well for me), and a Merino wool sweater. I keep a softshell jacket at the ready, and it helps keep the chill off down to the low 30s. If it is REALLY cold, I add a fleece (plain 'ol Columbia brand) layer into the mix. It also works well as a pillow in camp. If it is REALLY REALLY cold, I refuse to get out of my bag until someone makes me coffee.

At the moment, my clothing list for cool/cold weather long hikes is:

(worn) UA underwear, UA wicking layer tops and bottoms, Merino wool sweater, Tru-spec ACU pants. Smartwool socks, fleece beanie and gloves.

(at the ready) softshell jacket, Marmot precip rainpants, silnylon poncho.

(in the pack) 1 fleece sweater, 1 change undies, 2 pr socks, 1 set "sleeping longjohns"

this is all subject to change, but as the fall season rolls in, it seems to be a good setup for me. For a Thru-hike, I would probably just wear my convertable pants the whole trip, and use the precip as an extra layer on cold days.
Your Mileage May Vary, see warranty for details, not valid in all locations, blahblah.