PDA

View Full Version : help me find a hike...(California)

maybeFritz
10-21-2009, 16:13
I am looking for a nice 5-6 day loop in california for late December. Trying to find a place to hike that is not "winter hiking" - ie, I would really prefer not walking through a whole lot of snow. At the same time, 5 days in the desert sounds...unplesant. Any ideas? Not limited to the PCT, but it seemed the place to start.

Moderate hiking experience, relatively good gear (just not technical winter gear, ie crampons, ice axe, etc).

Dogwood
10-21-2009, 18:44
You are from Cali. It's a BIG state - a nation sized state. The first step I would take is to get a Cali Hiking Book. Perhaps, you should consider one of the many National Parks in Cali. I'll give you some places to consider for Dec: Channel Islands NP, Joshua Tree NP, Redwood NP and Redwood State Parks(Jeddidiah Smith, Del Norte, Prairie Creek, and Humboldt), and Point Reyes. All very different and in different parts of the state.

Jester2000
10-21-2009, 18:57
. . . and don't discount the desert! I know it might sound unpleasant, but for the most part we're talking high desert -- it's not like you'll be Lawrence-of-Arabying through sand dunes for days on end.

Nearly Normal
10-21-2009, 19:39
Hmm, you are 26. Need help finding a hike?

Mags
10-21-2009, 20:09
-- it's not like you'll be Lawrence-of-Arabying through sand dunes for days on end.

I've always wanted to lead an desperate attack on a town. Perhaps Mojave? That would be cool.

TwoForty
10-21-2009, 20:17
Texas sure is nice that time of the year...

karoberts
10-21-2009, 20:24
Hike the Lost Coast, the longest and wildest section of CA coastline not boarded by road. Not desert, and no snow. Absolutely stunning.

http://keith-roberts.com/photos/?Qwd=./photos/LostCoast09&Qiv=thumbs&Qis=Small

Dogwood
10-21-2009, 21:39
That was the other one I was thinking about Karoberts. Glad you mentioned it. I was considering the Lost Coast Tr. this summer Karoberts, but instead started in Jeddidiah Smith Redwoods SP(some very impressive Redwood groves, Smith River is pristine) and hiked a continuous trail, some very short road walks invoved too, to Del Norte Redwood SP(some absolutely huge virgin growth Red Fir), on to Prairie Creek SP( cool to see Roosevelt Elk on the beach and witness Fern Gully) and onto Redwood Nat. Pk.(4 of the top 10 tallest redwoods in the world grow here). Sometimes felt I was on the forested moon of Endor and Ewoks were lurking about. Lots of huge coastal redwoods(the tallest trees in the world and the tallest living thing), virtually no hikers away from the typical touristy sites, reg established campsites or beach camping(never saw anyone at any of the established campsites), and a mix of virgin and old growth forested hiking and coastline which included bluffs, sea lions, whales, lots of sea birds, seals, eagles, sea stacks, sea otters, beach hiking and great views. Plenty of fresh water too. About 87 miles total when starting in J. Smith SP near Crescent City and heading south. Get free maps and info in Crescent City. Crescent City has a neat lighthouse on an island too.

Many Walks
10-21-2009, 22:57
We hiked the Jedediah Smith Redwoods last weekend and loved it. As a note, that's where the scene was shot for Star Wars, Return of the Jedi, where Luke crashed his starship. It's like a rainforest jungle in there and the trees are spectacular.
Camping is allowed in the Redwood NP near the Tall Trees Grove. It would be a great place to set camp and day hike the many trails. Sort of our plan to do sometime next summer. The long stretch of Redwood parks would be a great 5 day hike in Dec. No snow, but may be a bit damp so close to the ocean.

On this trip we stayed in Crescent city and walked around the harbor and out to the lighthouse. A great place for fresh fish & chips and bread bowl clam chowder is the "Chart Room" right on ocean overlooking the harbor and a couple of docks full of sea lions. It was all pretty cool!

Jester2000
10-22-2009, 11:03
I've always wanted to lead an desperate attack on a town. Perhaps Mojave? That would be cool.

If you're going to launch an attack on a town, I can think of no better than Mojave. In Mojave, the guns face the sea.

maybeFritz
10-22-2009, 13:53
Apparently Redwood NP apparently has some access issues to some of their trails in the winter, as that was my first thought. Haven't been in California long enough to know all the options, so I appreciate the thoughts.

mudhead
10-22-2009, 14:03
Where are you at?

No sense driving 400 miles.

Don't discount the desert. It can be a cool place.

maybeFritz
10-22-2009, 15:03
San Diego, but not worried about the drive. Probably do it in 2 days, and enjoy the ride.

Mags
10-22-2009, 15:05
If you're going to launch an attack on a town, I can think of no better than Mojave. In Mojave, the guns face the sea.

Nothing is written.

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs258.snc1/10518_164176705020_563440020_4003164_3967137_n.jpg

garlic08
10-22-2009, 18:21
Nothing is written.

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs258.snc1/10518_164176705020_563440020_4003164_3967137_n.jpg

Now that is scary. You can have my town.

sbhikes
10-22-2009, 18:27
Big Sur? Also, maybe Section A of the PCT? It's really not that much desert and it's beautiful. I'd recommend the San Rafael or Dick Smith Wilderness areas too, but that's my backcountry, nobody ever goes there and you wouldn't like it.

Dogwood
10-22-2009, 18:55
MaybeFritz, exactly what access issues are you talking about? Some of the visitors centers are closed in the winter, but most are open. The weather never gets below 40* along the Redwood coastline so roads are never closed for snow. There is plenty of road access to many many routes of your choosing that would be good for a leisurely 5 day trek or multiple treks. If you have questions about trail access or winter closures I see none of what you are talking about at www.nps.org. If you want to confirm something I suggest you call Redwoods NP Main Visitors Center in Crescent City, which is open all yr. and can provide info about the Redwood SPs as well. They have a Ph # which can be found at the website I just mentioned.

Happy trail hunting.

Dogwood
10-22-2009, 19:01
MaybeFritz, exactly what access issues are you talking about? Some of the visitors centers are closed in the winter, but most are open. The weather never gets below 40* along the Redwood coastline so roads are never closed for snow. There is plenty of road access to many many routes of your choosing that would be good for a leisurely 5 day trek or multiple treks. If you have questions about trail access or winter closures I see none of what you are talking about at www.nps.org. If you want to confirm something I suggest you call Redwoods NP Main Visitors Center in Crescent City, which is open all yr. and can provide info about the Redwood SPs as well. They have a Ph # which can be found at the website I just mentioned.

Happy trail hunting.

Mags
10-23-2009, 02:05
Now that is scary. You can have my town.

I call it my, er, ethnic look. ;)