PDA

View Full Version : Where does the good Trout fishing start on the PCT?

Fire Marshall
10-21-2009, 22:37
Never hiked on the PCT. If I end up with some days or moments from my thru-hike that I can do some fishing where does the good fishing start? I've heard of some people that were able to have fresh fish almost daily on some sections. I plan on taking a collapsible rod n reel with me on the best sections for fishing. Tried this on the AT. but there weren't any places at all till after the Smokies. Still there were too few places to carry the extra weight. Thanks.

Wheeler
10-22-2009, 07:36
The Sierras were loaded with trout, and I know a lot of people caught fish including myself. Most fish were small,but I saw some decent sized ones too. They were pretty hungry,too. if you don't mind slowing down a bit,(and the Sierras a good place to do that) you can definitely supplement your food.

Jonnycat
10-23-2009, 16:56
I could tell you....

...but then I'd have to kill you. :D

Jim Adams
10-23-2009, 19:53
If you really want some GREAT trout fishing, leave the beaten path. I ran into a trail crew living in the meadows in Kings Canyon and they advised me to use one of their rods and walk up a near drainage for about 3 1/2 miles until I got to the third lake. The first two were filled with hungry trout about 12"-14" long and hit every cast HOWEVER the third lake that they had directed me to was filled with hungry trout 18"-24" long and hitting every cast. I caught 11 in 1 hour...amazing afternoon!

geek

warraghiyagey
10-24-2009, 13:07
I could tell you....

...but then I'd have to kill you. :D
:p:p. . . . . .

MarcnNJ
10-27-2009, 14:19
Geek that sounds amazing.....I met you in 2006 with Carnivore, Bud, and Mule....Im heading out on the PCT in 2010 and would love some fresh trout!

catch up

Datto
11-01-2009, 17:52
I can do some fishing where does the good fishing start? I've heard of some people that were able to have fresh fish almost daily on some sections.

The most fishermen I saw were near the Frog Lake area (heading west while I was heading east) when I was going into Independence, CA for a resupply -- and later when other fishermen were coming south to Muir Hut as I was going over the hump there. Both groups of fishermen had been out for more than a week and said they'd caught trout regularly night after night. Some were saying they had to throw fish back because they couldn't eat that much fish.

Also, I would easily see trout along the shoreline of ponds in Yosemite and north from there. I'd walk up to the shoreline to see fish and the fish would swim over to see if they could see a human. There wouldn't have been any trouble catching fish in that area to the north of Yosemite if I'd had a pole and line. I'd easily see maybe, on average, six trout just during the time while I was getting drinking water from the lakes and ponds

Datto

spacetree
11-03-2009, 13:51
There were some nice trout in deep creek (north of Big Bear) before the hot springs. But that was the only spot before the sierras.

Fire Marshall
11-04-2009, 22:05
Thanks everybody for the help. I'm thinking of starting my trek with some friends around April 1st. Don't feel like getting beat down by the heat. Plus we wanna have a few extra zero days just for fishing. Thats if the snow isn't too bad when we get to the Serrias.