PDA

View Full Version : Dogs on the trail

spirit4earth
10-22-2009, 11:19
What do thru-hikers who have their dogs with them do with the dogs in GSMNP and SNP? Are dogs allowed on the AT in those National Parks?

Lone Wolf
10-22-2009, 11:36
What do thru-hikers who have their dogs with them do with the dogs in GSMNP and SNP? Are dogs allowed on the AT in those National Parks?

allowed in SNP on a leash. not allowed in GSMNP or Baxter state park
most kennell the dog for a week

superman
10-22-2009, 12:21
When you get to Fontana Dam the kennel will send someone to get your dog. When you get to the other side you call and they will deliver your dog. I think it costs $250 now. By the time you get to Baxter you will have friends who will be glad to watch your dog while you summit. If you still haven't made friends by then you are screwed up. If that's the case there is a kennel you can call and make arrangements.

sheepdog
10-22-2009, 12:37
When you get to Fontana Dam the kennel will send someone to get your dog. When you get to the other side you call and they will deliver your dog. I think it costs $250 now. By the time you get to Baxter you will have friends who will be glad to watch your dog while you summit. If you still haven't made friends by then you are screwed up. If that's the case there is a kennel you can call and make arrangements.
so how much did the kennel charge you at Baxter???;):D

superman
10-22-2009, 12:51
so how much did the kennel charge you at Baxter???;):D

LMAO...hey, I resemble that remark.:)

squeezebox
11-18-2009, 11:20
I was thinking of bringing my goldfish. bring a net bag so it can go for a swim in the streams occassionally. a gatorade bottle should be enough for it.
Besides what a great trail name.

CrumbSnatcher
11-18-2009, 11:48
you live in asheville? thats close to the park,i'd have a friend come pick up your dog and watch him for the week. save the money or pay your friend. maybe someone the dogs used to, and also fido won't be caged up for a week.
or start at springer without the dog hike 2-3 weeks and then get the dog to start his hike at davenport gap.

superman
11-18-2009, 11:51
you live in asheville? thats close to the park,i'd have a friend come pick up your dog and watch him for the week. save the money or pay your friend. maybe someone the dogs used to, and also fido won't be caged up for a week.
or start at springer without the dog hike 2-3 weeks and then get the dog to start his hike at davenport gap.

That's some great advise.:-?

CrumbSnatcher
11-18-2009, 11:57
That's some great advise.:-?
the only problem i saw was. alot of hikers want the dog to do every mile also,thats allowed anyway!

CrumbSnatcher
11-18-2009, 12:03
our last long hike ga-me, i wanted bear on the journey but without all the miles. plenty of great trail friends so bear took days off on the hike. i would usually do big days without her but she was always on my mind and missing her while i hiked alone, but it was well worth it when i would arrive back that night(usually)and see her lounging around, usually upside down on the couch. night hiked all the time together to stay cool and not overheat!

squeezebox
11-19-2009, 01:09
SO you're on the AT yealling, BEAR!! BEAR!!! come here bear!!

CrumbSnatcher
11-19-2009, 11:27
SO you're on the AT yealling, BEAR!! BEAR!!! come here bear!!
only ever had to tell her to be quite once, in 98' at the shelter behind the visitor center it was late and two hikers were approaching. she didn't bark but woofed like a bear does. and i yelled BEAR NO! or NO BEAR! and they took off running. they never did made it back.

superman
11-19-2009, 12:20
Winter and I had a bear situation once. We could see this big dark thing on the left side of the trail. There were bushes so I couldn't make out what it was. About the time I could the bear cub ran across the trail in front of us. When it was right in front of Winter (maybe less than 10 ') Winter's fur went up on her back and she leaned forward. I quietly said "stay" and Winter relaxed with the cub still in front of her. About that time, I realized that the mother was on the right side of the trail pretty close to us. When the cub got to it's mother I quietly said "come." We just eased back away from the bears and we all lived happily ever after.
:)

BobTheBuilder
11-19-2009, 12:31
the only problem i saw was. alot of hikers want the dog to do every mile also,thats allowed anyway!

I asked my dog. She said she's not a purist and wouldn't care if she missed a few miles while I was getting my trail legs. YDMV (your dog may vary)

superman
11-19-2009, 12:49
I asked my dog. She said she's not a purist and wouldn't care if she missed a few miles while I was getting my trail legs. YDMV (your dog may vary)

When Winter was young we finished our miles for the day and she wanted to play. We only did about 15 miles a day and she had no problem with that. I always made play time for Winter. Winter was as pure as me and I was just going for a long walk with my best friend.:)