PDA

View Full Version : $$$$$$$

Figgsy13126
10-22-2009, 21:45
From what I read, I should expect to have lil over $3G for a Nobo hike. Seems like this amount may make the trip more luxurious than it needs to be. Yea, it would be a relief to chill at a hostel or two or even a couple steak dinners. What are the real costs on the trail....if I skip the fun stuff and most mail drops (which I hear can cost a pretty penny)...what can I expect to spend on just the typical resupplies? An open ended ?....I'm still in the early stages of planning my quest. I would like y'all suggestions on experiences on the trail I should spend $$$ on..what I should skip.

Jack Tarlin
10-22-2009, 21:54
Actually, you'll be amazed how easy it will be to spend $3000.00

Most folks will spend closer to 4.

As to how to save money, limit your town stops (especially the ones where you overnight), and discipline yourself on spending when in town.

Sleepy the Arab
10-22-2009, 22:37
I spent $3000 on my thru-hike.... 8 years ago.

It can still be done though. Stay out of motels. Zero in the woods. When you stay in town, pick one meal to eat at a restaurant. And (probably most important) $3000 will not allow a lot of beer.

Somewhere on these boards is an article by Weathercarrot on how to have a cheap thru-hike. Look it over for some cost cutting ideas.

As for what to spend it on...food. Set some aside for the Inn at Long Trail.

drastic_quench
10-22-2009, 23:32
No (or very little/few):
alcohol
tobacco
coffee
drugs
great restaurant food
whole pizzas at every opportunity
hotels
town zeroes
big gear replacement
shuttles

Lots of:
work for stay
hitchhiking
raiding hiker boxes

Hardly impossible.

garlic08
10-23-2009, 01:07
I spent about $3500 on my AT hike last year, about $500 less than expected. About $750 went to buying groceries for trail food, no mail drops for me. I doubt you could get by with much less than that. I spent a lot on town food and lodging, about $1500 total, which was mostly discretionary. The rest was for travel and gear. If you're careful about spending in town, you should have no problem with the $3000. But it would be good to have some contingency funds just in case.

paradoxb3
10-23-2009, 03:10
I asked a similar question recently, with expectations of needing no more than $3000 for my thru hike. I have now most certainly reconsidered. It seems now that $3k is about the bare minimum for a first time thru hiker. You've gotta think, in every situation on your thru are you going to have the willpower to settle for just the bare minimum? I know i wont. I'm shooting for $5k for my 2010 thru now, which SHOULD make for a fairly comfy hike. Selling some extra stuff/clutter before i go will ensure i reach that financial goal.

Figgsy13126
10-23-2009, 08:30
Looks like I'll be bringing around 5k...thanks for the insight.

Ox97GaMe
10-23-2009, 08:44
When I am hiking (not just on the AT), I budget approx $5/day for trail food. I can get a pretty good variety of foods for breakfast/lunch/dinner for this amount.

The main issue you will encounter is that it is nearly impossible to actually carry the amount of food you would need to sustain the calories required for long distance hiking. You will need to go into town occassionally just to feast. The good news is that a lot of trail towns have AYCE (All You Can Eat) places or hiker specials. If you arent picky about the types of food (Mexican/Chinese/Buffet) then you should be able to keep town meals to around $15-20 or less. One town I was in, I hit an AYCE dinner and a AYCE breakfast for a total of $10.

When in towns, hostels generally are your cheaper option, but you have limited privacy. You may opt to get a hotel/motel room so you can have some down time from all the hikers. A lot of hikers also split the cost of a room with another hiker to limit costs.

The primary thing to remember is that you want to enjoy your experience. There are some things along the trial that are worth the cost just for the experience. That is different for each hiker.

Have a great trip. Hope to see you out on the trail.

jersey joe
10-23-2009, 08:52
As to how to save money, limit your town stops (especially the ones where you overnight), and discipline yourself on spending when in town.
I agree with Jack, the single best way to save money on a thru hike is to limit your time in towns. I hiked the trail for way under 3k, it can be done if you can forgo the luxuries.

Another big factor in how much your hike will cost is the speed of your thur hike. A 6 month thru hike will cost you a lot more than a 4 month thru hike!

sherrill
10-23-2009, 09:44
Remember to budget in for gear replacement. I went through three pairs of boots alone (I'm hard on shoes in general, though).

flyingturtle
10-23-2009, 10:13
Also, don't forget about costs that you may have regarding things that may be needed for the hike, such as storage for your stuff, insurance, etc.

Bobbo
10-23-2009, 11:12
My experience for what it’s worth………….. I found the AT to be a very social event. I was 25 when I hiked and had images of lots of alone time and living a rather meager existence away from civilization. My experience was different. I met a lot of people who I thoroughly enjoyed and wished to spend time with. I was tired, beat up and cold and wet (early spring). I found myself hiking for about 5 days at a time and then hitting a town for crisply. I usually stayed in town at least one night and hung out with my new friends. This pattern remained in tact for pretty much the duration of my hike. Some towns I spent more then 1 night. I had to replace boots and clothing along the way. I went bowling in Virginia.
I loved every minute of it and would not change a thing, but it was not what I had planned for. I was not the most disciplined person and I pretty much just went with the flow and it was great. I spent a lot more then I had planned.

I have hiked other long distance trails since then. I’m older. I don’t indulge as much or at all compared to what I did when I was 25. It would cost me less to thru hike now - although I would probably not share hotel rooms with others and try and avoid hostels for more private quarters when in town.

ShelterLeopard
10-23-2009, 11:55
I'm bringing 5,000 (not including my train ticket to GA), to make for a comfortable time. I'm even planning on staying in a couple INNS. (A three day zero at the Harpers Ferry Inn that's right across from the Secret Six Tavern- in a REAL room. And in one or two other towns- the Inn At The Long Trail comes to mind... But we'll see. I like towns and fresh food. Not skimping there...

slowandlow
10-23-2009, 15:46
Bring as much as you can and live it up, it is unlikely that you will ever have another vacation this long and this much fun in your life.

ChinMusic
10-23-2009, 15:54
Bring as much as you can and live it up, it is unlikely that you will ever have another vacation this long and this much fun in your life.
I like this angle.....

ShelterLeopard
10-23-2009, 17:09
Me too.....

GeneralLee10
10-23-2009, 17:13

This is what I am beginning to think myself.

mrhughes1982
10-23-2009, 17:46
One more thread confirming I'm doing a long section hike next year. :(

Doctari
10-23-2009, 18:12
I'm JUST a Section hiker, but I assure you, regardless of your well laid plans & good intentions, after a week on the trail between towns, you will say something like: "to heck with cost, I'm gonna eat something!!" So the $10.00 you had budgeted for food during your town stop, is gone before you finish lunch, , , and you are still HUNGRY! I have eaten till I could no longer get food in, and I was still hungry :eek: Yea, that is a weird feeling: absolutely FULL tummy, & "starving to death" at the same time.

Anyway, you could probably do it for under $3000.00, but you will be hungry a lot, you may miss showers, supply trips may be harder / fewer, etc. Not counting to & from expenses, I spend about $1.50 a mile on my section hikes, so a bit over $3000.00 IF I could maintain the food intake for a Thru.

Jim Adams
10-23-2009, 19:39
If you substitute beer for food and sell a piece of equipment in every town you can probably have a great time and get a shower and dry, warm room once a week for a $3000 hike!:)

geek

mrhughes1982
10-23-2009, 20:46
Say you don't drink, swear off good food and staying indoors. Think its possible to do at $1500?

Jim Adams
10-23-2009, 21:26
Say you don't drink, swear off good food and staying indoors. Think its possible to do at $1500?

Yes, but you probably won't have a good time. I did my 2002 thru for $1500 but had good luck, good weather and alot of trail magic from old friends from my first thru. :sun

geek

mrhughes1982
10-23-2009, 22:07
Well I don't drink at all so I don't need that to have a good time. As for food I'm sure that will be the hardest thing to not indulge in. If there's a will there's a way

I'm not really looking at it as a vacation even though it'll be nice to be out of the office but more as a way to test myself and get closer to nature. As for living it up in every town, that's the last thing I'm interested in (now).

Still the more I look at my gear and the time I have to save money the more it looks like I'll be walking to Harper's Ferry and calling home.

DapperD
10-23-2009, 22:23
Say you don't drink, swear off good food and staying indoors. Think its possible to do at $1500?Possible yes. Likely, no. For a five month hike, that would give you roughly $10 a day for your breakfast, lunch , and dinner and for nothing else.

Panzer1
10-24-2009, 01:17
I zeroed in a shelter once. It was the most boring day of my life...

Panzer

jbrecon2
10-24-2009, 13:53
I'm not all that concerned about the money for the hike. I will have a good bit and credit cards just in case. What concerns me is money (not to mention a place to live) for after the hike, and my ability to be disciplined on the trail by not spending too much. I'm a bachelor and I'm used to kind of just doing/buying whatever I want. I'm debating on keeping my truck with its payment or selling it. Alot of people are quick to say sell it, but it would be awful handy when I get back!! Plus this adventure may lead right into another in which i may need wheels! With the economy the way it is, I wonder about finding work when i return, Although I'm a nurse, believe it or not even RN jobs are at a premium in the area I live. I have a feeling when I get out there these concerns will no seem as important, and i have no doubt that things that seemed important before are likely not to matter as much, but come on......for those of us without a place to go, or a job to go back to.....this is really a scary adventure. I love that though. And hey, at least i know i'll be able to sleep in a tent for a while if i need time to get back on my sore feet.

Blissful
10-24-2009, 14:27
Its really tough when the weather gets bad and all your friends are hanging in town and your stuck outside in the nearest shelter eating boiled Ramen because of funds - cold, wet and miserable with 40 mph winds blowing rain into the shelter. Harder still to imagine in the comfort of your home unless you've experienced it. Stay and make the money you need and have some job or some idea lined up for when you return. You will enjoy it all much more.

superman
10-24-2009, 14:42
Are you trying for some sort of hiking merit badge for hiking the AT while spending as little money as you can? I've seen people, who I know have money, become anal about spending when they get on a hike.

mrhughes1982
10-24-2009, 14:58
The more I think about it the more I don't really think a lot of money is necessary to having a worthwhile trip. Muir didn't have even an equivalent of $1000 dollars when he walked to Florida, didn't have trails and he lived off hard bread. Now we lay in hammocks, stay in hostels and eat steaks like there is no other way to do it. I'm not doing it for a vacation but more as a means of getting in touch with nature and testing myself (in reality all three). It's really a state of mind. If you are not having fun because you're not living it up in town then you're missing something about why you are even out there in the first place. The answer could be found very easily, but it takes just takes some patience and personal insight. The woods never bore me. Maybe a little understanding of Zen could go a long way if that is possible to achieve. Maybe you could understand it more from the trail. It could bring a better frame of mind even if it's a futile thing to look for.

DapperD
10-24-2009, 16:33
The more I think about it the more I don't really think a lot of money is necessary to having a worthwhile trip. Muir didn't have even an equivalent of $1000 dollars when he walked to Florida, didn't have trails and he lived off hard bread. Now we lay in hammocks, stay in hostels and eat steaks like there is no other way to do it. I'm not doing it for a vacation but more as a means of getting in touch with nature and testing myself (in reality all three). It's really a state of mind. If you are not having fun because you're not living it up in town then you're missing something about why you are even out there in the first place. The answer could be found very easily, but it takes just takes some patience and personal insight. The woods never bore me. Maybe a little understanding of Zen could go a long way if that is possible to achieve. Maybe you could understand it more from the trail. It could bring a better frame of mind even if it's a futile thing to look for.This is fine, and if you feel you can accomplish this for $1500 or so than maybe you can. I think though that if you listen to what other's are saying, people who are a lot more knowledgeable about a thru-hike than you or me, than you will see that what they are saying is that unforseen things may occur where $1500 will not be enough, and you may not be able to finish the thru-hike. Having extra money at least available to you would be a wise thing. Having to leave the trail while having a great time and running out of money would not.:-?

Blissful
10-24-2009, 20:47
The more I think about it the more I don't really think a lot of money is necessary to having a worthwhile trip. Muir didn't have even an equivalent of $1000 dollars when he walked to Florida, didn't have trails and he lived off hard bread. Now we lay in hammocks, stay in hostels and eat steaks like there is no other way to do it. I'm not doing it for a vacation but more as a means of getting in touch with nature and testing myself (in reality all three). It's really a state of mind. If you are not having fun because you're not living it up in town then you're missing something about why you are even out there in the first place. The answer could be found very easily, but it takes just takes some patience and personal insight. The woods never bore me. Maybe a little understanding of Zen could go a long way if that is possible to achieve. Maybe you could understand it more from the trail. It could bring a better frame of mind even if it's a futile thing to look for.

Have you done a thru hike of the AT? Just curious... (I only say thru hike because of budget ideas being talked about for a whole hike. I actually have a lot more admiration and respect for you section hikers, believe me, as I'm doing it now and its tough having to break in feet and muscles every time I go out)

Anyway, if you haven't done a thru hike come back and tell us how it really was for you and what you really experienced out there. If you haven't you are still only sharing thoughts from behind a keyboard in a nice warm house and likely after eating a good meal. It's certainly good to think positively, but it only goes so far until you are in the trenches day in and day out, week after week, month after month. Then it becomes a lot more that just mere words...

:):cool:

mrhughes1982
10-24-2009, 20:52
true.......

Jeff
10-25-2009, 11:29
Save everything you can, get a part time second job. A few extra bucks will make your thru hike so much more enjoyable.

By the way, is that dam on Lake Cumberland going to hold up or is it going to break and wipe out Nashville, TN ??? !!!!

Jack Tarlin
10-25-2009, 11:54
Every year there are folks who announce plans to "get in touch with nature" on their hikes; this includes avoiding towns, hostels, motels, restaurants, etc.

And while this is a noble intention, it usually doesn't work out this way.

In my experience with folks like this (especially the ones who couple the above intentions with a limited budget), one of two things happens:

1. Those with the means somehow end up spending a whole lot more money
than they'd orginally planned on.

2. Those without the means end up wishing they'd worked harder or put
aside more money for their trip, as thru hikes very seldom cost LESS than
one had planned on.

sbhikes
10-25-2009, 15:43
I"m not sure how much I spent for my 1800 miles on the PCT this summer. But I saved a lot of money by not staying in hotels even though I took a lot of zero days. I found places to camp. It was a great experience and I learned a lot about surviving like a homeless person. I did it because I had a real problem with paying for a place to sleep when on the trail sleeping was free.

ChinMusic
10-25-2009, 16:25
It was a great experience and I learned a lot about surviving like a homeless person.

To each his own, but this sounds like a good reason to plan on having some bucks.

Figgsy13126
10-25-2009, 20:58
What should I expect to spend on gear? Still in the very early stages of planning my thru-hike. I have spent hours reading articles to get ideas of what to expect forweather and terrain, etc. Starting to look into gear, seems like it'll be expensive. Just would like a rough estimate of what to expect to spend.

Jack Tarlin
10-25-2009, 21:04
Hard to say.

Are you planning on all new top of the line stuff?

Or will you consider something used?

Do you own gear now?

Are you a gear snob, or can you get by with a Wal-Mart flashlight?

You gonna use department store socks or 18 dollar a pair Bridgedales?

In short, tho, you main purchases will be pack, shelter, sleeping bag, proper clothing, and footwear.

Depending on what you require, if you go for brand new, top-shelf stuff, this will cost you between $1000 and $1500.00. Assuming you spend less than $500.00 on other stuff, this gives you a rough figure of $2000.00.

Obviously this does NOT include high tech gadgets, watches, GPS devices, cameras, etc.

Figgsy13126
10-25-2009, 21:20
Dont think I will be a gear snob. But, I wouldn't want to get cheap supplies that won't last. I plan on top of the line sleeping bag and pack. I also want to get decent clothes and footwear as well. As far as the other necessities, cooking supplies, flashlights, watches...I have no prob going to Wally world.

I have ZERO equipment right now...I am however athletic and very determined. I am counting on this to help with my attempt. Equipment will only get me so far

thank u Jack for all ur help! I hope u enjoyed that Patriots game today as well! Ha

Bobbo
10-26-2009, 07:14
since you have several months to get ready, look on ebay and other sites for used gear. To me, the most important items are the tent, bag and pack. Everything else can be played with and worked out pretty easily with a variety of solutions. Down in Wareham is an LL bean Outlet. You could pick up most of your clothing there - with big discounts if you hit it during a sale - which is quite often during the winter. What do you have in mind for gear? Have you looked at any yet and made choices?

Jeff
10-26-2009, 07:20
What should I expect to spend on gear? Still in the very early stages of planning my thru-hike. I have spent hours reading articles to get ideas of what to expect forweather and terrain, etc. Starting to look into gear, seems like it'll be expensive. Just would like a rough estimate of what to expect to spend.

Save up to get a good quality sleeping bag online.

Work with an outfitter to purchase a backpack and shoes.

For most clothing items you can comfortably get by with Walmart purchases.

betsi
10-26-2009, 08:16
please remember that, regardless of how much you choose to save, hiker services cost something. yes, there are work-for-stay options. but i caution you to not rely too heavily on them when planning your budget b/c you can't really be sure how often they'll be available. other hikers may get there first. also, please save enough that you can donate when a donation is requested. some hostels, trail angels, etc. will kindly request a donation - be sure you donate. these folks work tirelessly to support our endeavors, and what they do costs money. a thru-hike is not a free ride, just realize up front that hiker services cost money (some services are less than others, some towns are more expensive). you can do it on the cheap without being cheap. i may catch a bit of flak for this advice, but hikers who expected free stuff and/or constantly complained about how much stuff cost was one of the few things that irked me during my thru-hike. best $15 to put in your budget: a night at the green mountain house in vermont.

DapperD
10-26-2009, 09:03
What should I expect to spend on gear? Still in the very early stages of planning my thru-hike. I have spent hours reading articles to get ideas of what to expect forweather and terrain, etc. Starting to look into gear, seems like it'll be expensive. Just would like a rough estimate of what to expect to spend.Like most everything else, you get usually what you pay for. From what I have learned, if at all possible, would be for you to purchase good new quality gear. Obviously this is not cheap, nor the cheapest alternative. The advantages of being able to purchase high quality gear are usually it will be very durable and hold up well over the course of 5-6 months, also alot of the times it will also be light, desirable so your overall pack weight will remain comfortable(very important for long distance hiking). I would say you can expect to pay around $1500, maybe more or maybe less. However for good quality stuff that would meet the criteria of being durable and light, about that much.

garlic08
10-26-2009, 09:55
It's also unlikely you'll find the "right stuff" the first time. And some hikers like two sleeping bags, for instance, or even two shelters--one for possible spring blizzards, one for hot mid-Atlantic summers. It's not uncommon to go through two stoves, two water purification devices, quite a few pairs of shoes. Some hikers even completely refit at Neels Gap, a mere 30-some miles into the Trail, to the tune of $1000 or more. It's hard to find sales in the middle of the hiking season in a small town outfitter near the AT.

If you're starting from scratch, and have the money, it's probably pretty easy to spend thousands. But you could probably dirtbag it for much less. I only spent about $500 on all the gear I used on the AT, but it was all tried and true and found on sale or demo deals. I went through four pairs of $70 shoes, too. So it was a low percentage of total hike cost for me, and I still have the gear.

Figgsy13126
10-26-2009, 18:36
Bobbo, i havnt really looked to much into what gear to buy. however, i have jumped around the EMS and REI websites to get ideas. I figure to only buy one sleeping bag and one tent, for sure. Looks like prices for a decent bag 15 degree, will run $250-300....a big question is on a tent. I dont really plan on using shelters, but, how would i know? havnt been on the trail yet, ha. I dont really expect the type of tent to really matter. Just as long as i get the right type and a durable one that would hopefully last througout the hike.

Thank you all for the info!

Bobbo
10-26-2009, 20:22
Gear for hiking is like gear for any other sport or activity. There is no one right choice. Everyone uses what they like and in the end that’s all that matters. It’s like running shoes or bicycles – personal preferences. I’m sure your gear choices will evolve over time. When I first started hiking the AT – I was wearing cotton shorts, big leather EMS traverses that weighed 5lbs each, carrying a Gregory pack that weighed 7lbs empty and carrying a bunch of other random gear that I wouldn’t carry now.

I don’t have a lot of use for EMS or REI. Most of the stuff they carry is too heavy and over priced for my tastes. There are the occasional pieces of gear that can be found there and I do like a lot of their clothes, but I’m not crazy about the prices. I would and do buy all my clothes at Savers used clothing store. This excludes rain gear, socks and foot wear. I bought a new tent this summer to hike the LT. It is a Coleman Expedition – 1 person. It weighs approximately 3lbs and I paid under $70. I like and it has worked well so far. I am confident it will hold up for some time to come and I can sit up in it too!

I agree with Garlic – using sales and some smart shopping, you could purchase all your gear for around $500. Lone Wolf is always talking about a 20 degree down bag from Campmor that is fairly inexpensive and would definitely work as your 1 bag for the AT.

Shop around, try stuff on and buy what you like – you’re the one who has to use it!

sarahgirl
10-27-2009, 04:56
since you have several months to get ready, look on ebay and other sites for used gear. To me, the most important items are the tent, bag and pack. Everything else can be played with and worked out pretty easily with a variety of solutions. Down in Wareham is an LL bean Outlet. You could pick up most of your clothing there - with big discounts if you hit it during a sale - which is quite often during the winter. What do you have in mind for gear? Have you looked at any yet and made choices?

Yes, I've given up on the idea of a smaller lighter camera, a down balaclava, a jrb underquilt, and a new ula backpack with all the shiny options. It was hard to let go, but I'm just going to use my old heavy gear and I'm going to try my hand at making a few quilts and a tarp. As I've heard it said before...your gear will help you yes, but ultimately it's not your gear getting you to katahdin.

The last thing I want to do is leave the trail do to insufficient funds when there are so many other things out of my control that could pull me off. I'm hoping to have 5k for the trip, but it may be closer to 4. One thing to remember is taxes, this could work in your favor...I'm banking on a big refund:banana

DavidNH
10-27-2009, 10:17
From what I read, I should expect to have lil over $3G for a Nobo hike. Seems like this amount may make the trip more luxurious than it needs to be. Yea, it would be a relief to chill at a hostel or two or even a couple steak dinners. What are the real costs on the trail....if I skip the fun stuff and most mail drops (which I hear can cost a pretty penny)...what can I expect to spend on just the typical resupplies? An open ended ?....I'm still in the early stages of planning my quest. I would like y'all suggestions on experiences on the trail I should spend $$$ on..what I should skip.

Contrary to what you imply, 3000 dollars is not excessive. You COULD do a thru hike on this amount of money but you will have ZERO luxuries. No motels, very few if any restaurants meals, few hostels, and don't expect much town time if any. Pray you don't have to replace equipment and that you can get to and from home cheaply! Trust me, you WILL want to have some zero days. Down time in a hostel, and some wonderful restaurant meals.

Costs on the trail (let's for the moment assume you have transportation to and from south and north trail heads and all your equipment purchased):

1) Expect to at some point buy new boots. I have never seen any footware last 2000 miles.

2) you may find that some equipment doesn't perform as you hoped or perhaps it breaks. Then you need replacement gear.

3) Understand right now that you ARE going to eat in restaurants and you ARE going to go to grocery stores to shop for trail food. Expect at least 50 dollars per week on food before counting in restaurant meals.

4) as you head north, expenses will increase. 40 dollar a night motels in New England are essentially non existent. There are very few free or donation hostels on the trail anywhere, and non in New England states.

5) Don't make your thru a contest to see how little you can spend. Why not go out and enjoy it? take your time. See the towns.

For everyone else: can ANYONE of you here in white blaze think of ANY hiker who made it the whole way without eating in restaurants at all? Or who didn't take a zero day in town after days of rain on the trail? I can't think of any. If you can I'd love to hear about it!

David

garlic08
10-27-2009, 10:35
...can ANYONE of you here in white blaze think of ANY hiker who made it the whole way without eating in restaurants at all? Or who didn't take a zero day in town after days of rain on the trail? I can't think of any. If you can I'd love to hear about it!

I met a young couple on the PCT who were doing the whole trail without once stepping under a roof, except for groceries. They made it at least through the Sierra successfully. They met on the AT the year before and did the same thing then. That would have been 2003.

Chance09
10-27-2009, 11:04
I just finished my thru hike and i didn't spend more than 2900 and i think i could have spent a lot less. I spent about 500 on gear once i was on the trail, which could have been prevented with better planning. I bought a new backpack, a hammock, a silk liner and some other small stuff. I spent about 300 - 400 on beer, and i like to drink good beer. Maybe 250 on on places to stay and 200 going out to eat, the rest was food

500 Gear
350 Beer
100 at DWG at an Amusement park and bar
250 on hostels and motels
200 at restaurants
and the rest was food and other miscellaneous stuff.

I think 3 grand is just fine. If not more than enough. Unless you have privacy issues you won't ever really have to pay more than 20 - 30 for a room. You can always fit a few extra people in a room, and there are always people interested, to bring the costs down. Plus there are plenty of hostels.

I had an absolute blast on my trip and none of the fun things, except for floating down the Shennendoah River in an innertube ($16) and the Brew Music Festival ($25), cost a lot of extra money. It was all about the people.

I even spent the fourth of july in NYC with some friends i'd met on the trail and they took us in for two days. Don't worry so much about cash and just go with the flow, good things will follow.

Two pieces of advice i will give is not to pay for a ride and sometimes it's good to ship food to yourself becasue it's cheaper. It's so easy to hitch that you should never have to pay for a ride. I was usually picked up in under 5 min, if not by the first car that passed me. Ask ahead on the trail for places to ship food to to save money. There's not many that come to mind but Fontana Damn is certainly one of them. The $11 you spend on a standard rate mailer while be cheaper than the food costs of resupplying there.

Chance09
10-27-2009, 11:08
oh i forgot shoes, i spent 120 on a new pair of shoes. My other two pairs were replaced for free. That helped a bit.

Chatter
10-27-2009, 14:13
You have several months to get ready. Use your time off to take trips locally (for example, NH Whites; even day-trips in Boston's 7,000-acre Blue Hills Reservation).

Buy some basic gear, whatever you think you might need. Camp out in all kinds of weather. You will figure out what else to get based on what you find you are missing.

I could get more detailed, but with this approach, you are practicing, continuing to stay in good physical shape and learning by doing.

Chatter
10-27-2009, 16:10
Oh, and then through the knowledge you gain through practicing, you will be better able to project the costs of a thru-hike based on your personal preferences.

....basically trial-and-error plus listening to whiteblazers and others of those who know.

Figgsy13126
10-27-2009, 18:56
What i love most about all this planning is the feedback that ive recieved from yall. It has made this trip more and more important to me. This is deff a community that i respect and admire. Hopefully, with the knowledge i gain...i can help others like myself in the future! I cant wait to meet more people like yall on the trail when the time comes! Keep in the info coming! I'll be sure to be asking more ?'s!!

Sincerely,
Frank

Jack Tarlin
10-27-2009, 19:25
Chance:

Please don't get me wrong. I have no doubt you had a great trip on your budget, but I don't think what you did is realistic or desirable for most folks.

For just one example, your "$200.00" restaurant meal figure for the entire trip just won't work for most folks.

If one assumes one is on a typical six-month trip, well that's 26 weeks. 200 bucks divided by 26 weeks equals $7.69.

This means that on your budget, one could have a restaurant meal once a week.......for a whopping $7.69.

Chance, most thru-hikers couldn't fill up at Burger King for $7.69, never mind a full meal at a real restaurant with tax and tip.

And let's assume that one blows the works and orders a steak dinner somewhere, with appetizer, desert, etc. That's easily thirty bucks. According to your budgeting, they'd have to skip restaurant meals for three weeks in order to pay for that steak. Or let's put it another way.....if one zeroes in a town and has breakfast at a local diner (which will very be hard to do on $7.69 by the way), this means they not only can't have breakfast or lunch in town that day......it means they just had their one restaurant meal for the whole WEEK. I.e., if they happen to pass thru a town three or four days later for supplies or whatever, even if they don't plan on overnighting there, their budget still won't permit them to have a restaurant meal, as their plate of eggs three days before blew their restaurant budget for the whole week.

In short, the $200.00 restaurant figure is very unrealistic for the vast majority of folks, and while I believe that you might have been able to adhere to this, I simply don't think most folks want to be limited to a budget this tight. Meaning even if one springs for a shared bunkroom at the NOC or Eriwn, it kind of sucks to stay in your room eating pop tarts while all your friends are at the Chinese buffet.

$7.69 per week reserved for restaurant meals won't work for most folks, and neither will a $2900.00 budget.

(Oh, and if anyone checks my math and says, well maybe not everyone is out for six months.....maybe a speedier hiker who is disciplined about his time off and zero days can do the Trail in five months, not six. Well that's perfectly true......but a five month trip would bring your weekly restaurant fund up to $9.09 a week from $7.69. And the bottom line is $9.09 doesn't go that far anymore. A $200.00 restaurant budget for a thru-hike simply won't cut it for most folks, even if you're a fast hiker).

Chatter
10-27-2009, 19:42
Good cipherin' Jack. You point out very well by the examples you gave how easy it is for the money to disappear much faster than one might think, especially when viewed over a multi-month hike.

As mentioned before, there are also bound to be those surprise expenses that nobody wants to think about, like medical procedures in case of an accident, not to mention transport to seek emergency care if needed.

And for the really inexperienced or ill-prepared, we don't even want to bring up those pesky rescue fees that some states are starting to charge. Of course, that's a discussion for people who don't even bother to read whiteblaze.net.

Jack Tarlin
10-27-2009, 19:53
While we're at it, Chance's $250.00 budget for motels and hostels doesn't cut it, either. A hiker who stays at (and shares, by the way, we're definitely not talking single rooms) half a dozen motels on his trip at $22.50 a piece will spend $135.00.

And if he stays at half a dozen hostels at $18.00 a night, well there's your $250.00.

But the problem is that even when sharing a room, some motels will cost more than that.

And most folks plan on paying for lodging more than 12 times on their trips. In fact, many folks will do this before they even leave the South.

For example, a TYPICAL thru-hiker might stay at the hostel in Neel Gap; share a motel room in Hiawassee and/or Franklin; may well get a bunk at the NOC; may share a motel in Gatlinburg; may well stay at Standing Bear Farm; will probably stay at Elmer's in Hot Springs; will probably stay in a hostel or share a motel room in Erwin; will stay at a hostel in Hampton and Damascus; will probably share a motel room in Pearisburg; will stay at a hostel or motel in Waynesboro; will stay at one or perhaps two hostels in Northern Virginia.

This, mind you, is a TYPICAL thru-hiker's schedule. Many folks may stay overnight at other places, too, like Fontana Dam, Gatlinburg, Troutdale, Marion, Bland, etc. And of course, this 12-stop plan doesn't include staying over an extra day or taking a full zero day at one of these places due to injury, poor weather, etc. which most people do more than once on their trips.

Oh, and by the way, this only takes you up to Harpers Ferry, less than half-way thru the Trail. And hostels and definitely motels cost more the further north you go.

So sorry, for most folks, reserving $250.00 for hostels and motels for an entire thru-hike just won't cut it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying one can't hike on the limited budget that Chance has described. What I'm saying is that most them won't want to, and in many cases, won't be able to.

Sleepy the Arab
10-27-2009, 22:33
1) Expect to at some point buy new boots. I have never seen any footware last 2000 miles.

You weren't paying attention to my feet, were you?

Jack Tarlin
10-27-2009, 22:35
Actually I have gotten 2,000 miles or better out of several pairs of shoes, tho I don't choose to wear that style anymore, as they're hot and heavy.

But it certainly is possible to thru-hike in one pair of boots, tho it sure doesn't happen very often.

bigcranky
10-28-2009, 07:06
Good cipherin' Jack. You point out very well by the examples you gave how easy it is for the money to disappear much faster than one might think, especially when viewed over a multi-month hike.

The longest I've been out is three weeks, so I don't have a thru-hike experience. Even so, I was amazed at how quickly I went through cash when I hit town. Remember the advice to never go to the grocery store when you're hungry? Hah -- just try that on the trail. I was always hungry, and my shopping cart -- and my restaurant tab -- reflected that.

I'm sure that a thru-hike can be and has been done for under $3K. I would like to think I'd spend a little less per week on a long hike than on my sections. But I know I personally couldn't do a thru for anything close to $3K. Double that would be my personal budget.

nitewalker
10-28-2009, 07:33
A 5 month hike equals 150 days or so. take the 150 days and multiply it by 20.00$ for each day and there is your 3000$$$. it seems to me you can get that 20.00$ a day lower if you really try. i have never thru hiked so i can not speak from experience on real long distances. on my shorter hikes its real easy to beat 20.00$ per day..

garlic08
10-28-2009, 10:48
Remember the advice to never go to the grocery store when you're hungry? Hah -- just try that on the trail. I was always hungry, and my shopping cart -- and my restaurant tab -- reflected that.

Hah, that's very true. But I also found out that the converse is true. You don't want to buy trail groceries right after getting out of the AYCE buffet and topping it off with a half gallon of ice cream. You might not buy enough!

Chance09
10-28-2009, 20:00
So sorry, for most folks, reserving $250.00 for hostels and motels for an entire thru-hike just won't cut it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying one can't hike on the limited budget that Chance has described. What I'm saying is that most them won't want to, and in many cases, won't be able to.

my math may be a little off on what i paid here and there but either way the total was still the same.
I think that I may have been a little less picky about lodging this year with all the rain we had. I wasn't necessarily looking for comfort, mostly just a roof and some warmth.

Different Socks
10-30-2009, 00:33
After food and equipment, I probably spent about $1500.00 on the AT back in 1992.
In 1996, I did the PCT thru all of CA for only $1000.00, after food and equipment.
I just saw on another website, a few guys were saying that they spent from $3000---5000.00 hiking the CDT!! One guy even said he couldn't walk out of a restaurant w/o spending a min of $20--25.00. What are these people doing when they come into towns?

Jofish
10-30-2009, 02:53
After food and equipment, I probably spent about $1500.00 on the AT back in 1992.
In 1996, I did the PCT thru all of CA for only $1000.00, after food and equipment.
I just saw on another website, a few guys were saying that they spent from $3000---5000.00 hiking the CDT!! One guy even said he couldn't walk out of a restaurant w/o spending a min of $20--25.00. What are these people doing when they come into towns?

Maybe they spent a little more than you, but I'd be willing to bet that it would cost you AT LEAST double if you hiked those same trails today. Prices particularly for food (both trail food and restaurants) have gone up considerably. You'd be starving if you tried to do a thru with the same amount of money you used 13 or 17 years ago.

jersey joe
10-30-2009, 10:09
Actually I have gotten 2,000 miles or better out of several pairs of shoes, tho I don't choose to wear that style anymore, as they're hot and heavy.

But it certainly is possible to thru-hike in one pair of boots, tho it sure doesn't happen very often.
I took a durable heavy duty pair of Asolo's all the way from GA to the Kennebec before I had to replace them, couldn't take them any further. I agree, it's possible to get the whole way with one pair, but it's pretty tough to do, and impossible to plan for.

garlic08
10-30-2009, 11:25

If a restaurant on the CDT isn't in a pricey resort area, you're there in the height of tourist season when the businesses have to make their profit for the whole year (except for hunting season). I could usually get out of a restaurant for $15, but I don't drink booze, coffee, or eat dessert (at restaurant prices). My hiking partner (with no budget worries, lucky guy) would always spend at least $25, including two pieces of pie ala mode at $4 a pop, but still no booze. So it's pretty easy to spend the budget on food. In PCT terms, picture South Lake Tahoe, as compared to Mojave, say.

And much of the West is seeing an oil boom. Every motel room in Wyoming is taken by rig workers and prices are sky high. No AT-style hostels and cheap motels, and no hiker specials where there are only a few hikers a year and most residents don't even know there's a long trail there. That affects restaurant and grocery prices, too. Everyone is trying to cash in, and you can't blame them.