PDA

View Full Version : trekking poles

Hoop Time
10-22-2009, 22:01
I know Leki poles seem to be the standard, but what I am wondering is what about them makes them worth so much more than some store brand poles, or ones like the Eddie Bauer line sold in Target.

I have been using cheap ones from Bass Pro, and they have worked fine. But every time I go in an outfitters, I find myself checking out the Lekis and wondering what I might be missing.

So what makes them worth around 6-to-10 times (depending on model) the price of the BP poles or other lower cost ones? And is there a good middle alternative out there that is a step up from what I am using but not as expensive as Lekis?

Lyle
10-22-2009, 22:17
No comment on Leki poles. My standard advice is to check out PacerPoles. Switched from traditional straight poles about 4 years ago, will not go back.

Unique design is much more comfortable for all-day hiking, keeps your wrist in a more natural position. Plus it does not rely on your wrist and strap to transfer force. Excellent for downhill, uphill, and level hiking alike. Easier to accurately place the tip of the pole, so fewer incidents of jambing it between rocks or roots (less chance to bend the pole). Highly recommended.

Do yourself a favor and check them out.

http://www.pacerpole.co.uk/

sheepdog
10-22-2009, 22:20
nothing....

Elder
10-22-2009, 22:59
Leki
1. Strength....nothing else meets ANY standard.
2. Quality
3. Service...and warranty.

Just the Best. :D

Spokes
10-23-2009, 00:09
I saw a lot of people using other stuff on the trail i.e., bamboo poles, sticks, cheap Wal-mart stuff.

Most of them were crying.............

Mighty Mouse
10-23-2009, 00:39
I've never owed Lekis, but I have heard some complaints by Leki users. The most common being that the locking mechanism may fail. But as others have stated, I also hear they have great customer service.

I use Black Diamond trekking poles. They use a different type of locking mechanism. I love them!!!

double d
10-23-2009, 00:40
Leki is a great company and they employ German engineering, you can't beat that. I own Leki's and REI's hiking poles and I think (of course my opinion and it doesn't mean much) the Leki are much superior and I'm a big fan of REI's products.

JoshStover
10-23-2009, 00:45
I am not a fan of Lekis. I would say go with the Black Diamonds. They use a flick-lock system and its alot easier to adjust on the fly and they have never crashed on me like every Lekis I have ever used. I am a bigger guy (180-190lbs) and the Lekis collapsed on me everytime I put some weight on them. But dont get any gear just because someone tells you to, get whatever works best for YOU.

Big Dawg
10-23-2009, 08:47
I am not a fan of Lekis. I would say go with the Black Diamonds. They use a flick-lock system and its alot easier to adjust on the fly and they have never crashed on me like every Lekis I have ever used. I am a bigger guy (180-190lbs) and the Lekis collapsed on me everytime I put some weight on them. But dont get any gear just because someone tells you to, get whatever works best for YOU.

ditto... although I'd say I'm not a fan of twist-lock poles overall,,, had too many collapses. Black Diamond flick-lock's rock!!

Manwich
10-23-2009, 08:52
I was given a new pair of Carbon Fibre Lekis. 10 miles in, I snapped one of them.

I used a pair of Walmart $15 poles for 500mi no problem.

Now I'm on blackdiamond flick locks because I require hiking poles for my tent (http://i.imgur.com/dBDfe.jpg). The locks are hard to beat.

Hooch
10-23-2009, 09:08
Leki is a great company and they employ German engineering, you can't beat that. I own Leki's and REI's hiking poles and I think (of course my opinion and it doesn't mean much) the Leki are much superior and I'm a big fan of REI's products.FWIW, the REI trekking poles are made for REI by Komperdell. Just thought I'd throw that out there. :D

Jayboflavin04
10-23-2009, 09:15
I also like my BD poles. I like the flick locks also, and they seem to be alot quieter than the twist lock mechanism.

FlyPaper
10-23-2009, 09:25
Note: I have seen some flip lock poles at WalMart, but I don't recall the brand. They were $12 or $13 each.

Maddog
10-23-2009, 09:25
i have the carbon fiber Lekis...they're great...never had a problem!:)

faarside
10-23-2009, 09:47
I've seen too many Leki's break, and the locking mechanism fail. Definitely NOT worth the money. You are paying for the name and fame. I favor a more sturdy pole. The Tracks Sherlock Staff in particular, having used the same two poles for ten years. Adjustable length, universal camera mount, rubber foot/spike tip. A very cool tool!

http://www.trackspoles.com/

Available from Campmor:
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___80371

Hooch
10-23-2009, 10:01
.......My standard advice is to check out PacerPoles (http://www.pacerpole.co.uk/)....... I've seen these in person and had the opportunity to handle a pair of them. Very well made and much more comfortable than stardard poles. I'm seriously considering the notion of getting a pair in the spring. They used to be available from ULA, do you have to order direct from PacerPole now?

Lyle
10-23-2009, 10:24
I've seen these in person and had the opportunity to handle a pair of them. Very well made and much more comfortable than stardard poles. I'm seriously considering the notion of getting a pair in the spring. They used to be available from ULA, do you have to order direct from PacerPole now?

Yes, I got mine from Brian at ULA, but I don't think he is carrying them on his site anymore. I did have to order a new set of tips for mine recently, had no problems or delays dealing with the company in GB. Excellent service.

garlic08
10-23-2009, 11:08
I think the Lekis are so popular because of their customer service and people have brand loyalty. I saw them at trail days one year and they took my poles for a few minutes and they came back looking like new, maybe even better with some better-designed parts. But I'm no big fan of theirs either. I don't think their joint and locking mechanism is reliable enough. Even great customer service doesn't help when you're days or weeks away from an outfitter and the thing breaks.

I think the BD flick lock is the best around. I got some Komperdell carbon poles on sale and I think they're lasting better than Lekis, too, to my surprise.

If you need parts on the AT (like new tips), it's easiest to find Leki parts at local outfitters you're likely to run across. If you need an adjustable pole that you might need to repair on the trail, you're probably best off with Leki.

Stir Fry
10-23-2009, 11:17
Try making your own out of graphit golf shaft. 4 oz each. Most pro shops have discontenued shafts for under $10. Use any replacement tips. Good quality grips,again from golf shop. They usualt will put them on at no cost if you buy them from there shop. Expect $25, $30 for a set.

ChinMusic
10-23-2009, 13:02
I agree with what others have posted about the failing of the twist-locking mechanism of the Lekis and the solidness of the flick-lock of the Black Diamonds.

I have had both Lekis and Black Diamonds and until Leki goes with something other than the twist lock they will never get my business.

Mags
10-23-2009, 13:07
Mine are ski poles that came from the free bin at the local used sporting goods store (or did they come from near the dumpster? I forget).

They did not have snow baskets so that is why they were up for grabs.

You can't adjust fix length poles..but they never collapse either. :)

flemdawg1
10-23-2009, 13:10
Note: I have seen some flip lock poles at WalMart, but I don't recall the brand. They were $12 or $13 each.

They're 12.88/each and I own a pair. They are made by Outdoor Products.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10928566

They are very convenient for setting up a shelter. The cam lock screws do need to be tightened before use. I also bent one in PA (snapped as I straightened it), but for the price I just got another one.

Surplusman
10-23-2009, 13:20
For about seven years I have used a pair of cheapie collapsible poles from our local Ocean State Job Lot. They have done great service in that time. But since my stroke I make sure that I don't put all my weight on them for fear of them really collapsing. So I bought a pair of surplus US Army ski poles and removable snow baskets, cut them down to a length that was comfortable for me, and fit a pair of generic rubber pole tips with the inside diameter slightly smaller than the ski pole ends. To make the tips fit I put them in a bowl of almost boiling water, let them sit in there for a while, and put them over the ski pole tips and pounded them home. When I need to take them off, I just heat the bottom of the pole in hot water again and I can get them off. The poles and baskets were about $18 (including postage) from Coleman's Surplus and the rubber tips I bought at REI some time ago for about $5. So far so good. When I get some cha-ching saved up sometime in the future, I'll go with good one piece poles. But for now the old ski poles will do nicely.

ChinMusic
10-23-2009, 14:08
I never could understand the appeal of fixed-length poles.

I like to adjust mine longer for sustained downhills and adjust shorter for sustained ups. Having a pole with a fixed length loses effectiveness.

I also have the added need of a specific length for my tent.

Lone Wolf
10-23-2009, 14:10
walkin' in the woods sure is complicated

Lyle
10-23-2009, 14:41
walkin' in the woods sure is complicated

Dang, now LW is even starting to recognize the complexity of walking!!!!:D

Next thing you know, he'll be fighting for shelter space and filtering his water.

Jester2000
10-23-2009, 14:46

I have to believe that if your poles are collapsing on you they're either defective or not being tightened enough. Lekis with SLS have a holding force of 308 pounds.

I agree with what others have posted about the failing of the twist-locking mechanism of the Lekis and the solidness of the flick-lock of the Black Diamonds.

I have had both Lekis and Black Diamonds and until Leki goes with something other than the twist lock they will never get my business.

This Spring Leki is coming out with a locking mechanism that should suit you, and it's stronger than BD's system.

Most problems with Lekis can be avoided with proper maintenance, and Leki has by far the best customer service going. What in the world will you do if your pole breaks and you're weeks away from an outfitter? Probably start walking towards that outfitter, confident that the problem will be resolved when you get there. Unless pole use is causing some sort of weird atrophy situation in your legs.

ChinMusic
10-23-2009, 15:50
What in the world will you do if your pole breaks and you're weeks away from an outfitter? Probably start walking towards that outfitter, confident that the problem will be resolved when you get there. Unless pole use is causing some sort of weird atrophy situation in your legs.
I would just get another set of poles and learn from my mistake....as I did.

Jester2000
10-23-2009, 15:54
I would just get another set of poles and learn from my mistake....as I did.

That works too. Again, though, you might like the new series of poles they're releasing in the Spring.

ChinMusic
10-23-2009, 15:59
That works too. Again, though, you might like the new series of poles they're releasing in the Spring.
Thanks. Not on the market for polls right now, but will bear that in mind. I know I'll never get a twist-lock poll again.

Mags
10-23-2009, 16:03
I never could understand the appeal of fixed-length poles.

They are cheap or free.

They set up my shelter(s) just fine.

They don't collapse.

They are effective.

And they work.

At least the above applied for the bit of hiking I've done now and then.

Cookerhiker
10-23-2009, 16:06
.....I use Black Diamond trekking poles. They use a different type of locking mechanism. I love them!!!

I am not a fan of Lekis. I would say go with the Black Diamonds. ....

I also like my BD poles. I like the flick locks also, and they seem to be alot quieter than the twist lock mechanism.

....I think the BD flick lock is the best around. ....

Another Black Diamond fan here, not just because of the locking mechanism but the long grips.

One problem: I've lost tips on occasion. Has this happened to anyone else with BDs?

Jester2000
10-23-2009, 16:08
One problem: I've lost tips on occasion. Has this happened to anyone else with BDs?

If you keep losing tips you need to provide better service.

Cookerhiker
10-23-2009, 16:14
Another Black Diamond fan here, not just because of the locking mechanism but the long grips.

If you keep losing tips you need to provide better service.

Yes, that's what my therapist told me also. Does this mean I have to smile?:)

ChinMusic
10-23-2009, 16:27
At least the above applied for the bit of hiking I've done now and then.
You've done 100X more hiking than me. I fully understand your experience, respect it, and desire to pick your brain.

Do you understand why I like to adjust the length of the polls for sustained ups and downs?

I'm not trying to pick a fight.

PS: From your other posts I could see how 115 cm (Lunar Solo setting) might work for you............:D:p

Mags
10-23-2009, 16:37
I fully understand your experience, respect it, and desire to pick your brain.

Not trying to get in a pissing contest. Honest.

But, I am very blunt when it comes to stating why something works and not shy about saying I have the experience to back it up. Not saying it is the best for you..but you asked a question and you are going to get an honest, direct and no BS answer.

"Rainbows, kittens and sunshine" type answers are for those folks who go to the Shambhala center here in town...

As for 115cm...yep, I am indeed a short little dago. ;)
(Well, 5'6" anyway)

Blue Jay
10-23-2009, 19:48
Mine are ski poles that came from the free bin at the local used sporting goods store (or did they come from near the dumpster? I forget).

They did not have snow baskets so that is why they were up for grabs.

Oh the horror, how can you show your face with no status at all. On a side note I would like to thank all the Leki and Black Diamond salesman for staying quiet for weeks. I must have been very very hard.:banana

dloome
10-23-2009, 21:56
When it comes to premium or expensive backpacking gear, a lot of what you pay for is a warranty and excellent customer service. Sure, those $15 trekking poles at Wal-Mart might work, but good luck returning them if they are defective, break, wear out, etc. Leki has replaced a dozen shaft segments for me, as well as grips and straps on my poles which have an obscene amount of miles on them. Never charged me an addtional dime, and they've been nothing but responsive, prompt, and polite every time I've dealt with them.

In any case, I'd rather give my money to a dedicated outdoor company vs. a discount store.

As for locking mechanisms, I agree that most collapsible poles on the market have their issues. I imagine part of the problem is that it's difficult to design a part for this application. Really- It's a 1/2" wide plastic insert that is supposed to absorb huge amounts of weight at times and millions of random stress cycles. Is it so surprising that the thing slips or breaks every so often? I figure it's the price you pay for having collapsible poles.

I generally use the BPL Stix single section poles unless I'm flying/busing with my poles or using a certain tarp shelter which requires adjustable poles.

Cabin Fever
10-23-2009, 22:06
I am a bigger guy (180-190lbs) You must live in middle Earth.

Rockhound
10-24-2009, 00:56
sticks are your best option. 1)they are free 2)easy to replace if lost or broken 3)you can adjust your grip on the move wherever it needs to be without stopping 4) no clickity-clack sound all day long 5)no straps to cause broken wrists or separated shoulders 6)sentimental value & can be personalized with engravings. Trekking poles are just a huge gimmick that serve no purpose other than to make gear companies lots of money.

Mags
10-24-2009, 01:22
I Must Have Been Very Very Hard.:banana

TMI!

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Jester2000
10-26-2009, 09:23
Went in to the local WalMart while I was waiting to have a pizza made next door.

The poles they sold were 15 dollars each (not sold by the pair). They had non-angled grips that looked like they would fall apart pretty quickly, were made of thin aluminum, and had a warning on them that they would not support your weight and were to be used for balance purposes only.

No description of what the tips were made of, and no phone number or any other info for repairs. I have a pretty good idea what I won't be buying next.

Not Sunshine
11-09-2009, 07:35
I've heard that LEKI is finally upgrading their twist locks to snap-type locks (similar to the Black Diamond brand)...

Does anyone know when the new poles will be in stores? I'm guessing not by the Christmas holiday - although it would seem like such a waste if they didn't get them out by then -- mostly because I want a pair. :-p

Elder
11-09-2009, 10:04
:D The Leki Speedlock will be available in March 2010.
Stronger than other external locks...still not as strong as Leki twistlocks but does address that "righty tighty/lefty loosey" issue for the mechanically challenged! ;)