PDA

View Full Version : Fishing on the AT

redefined
10-23-2009, 00:03
So I was wonderin if all i needed to catch some fish on the at was a pole???? or would i need any special kind of permits

JoshStover
10-23-2009, 00:33
you will need a fishing liscense for whatever state you will be fishing in.

Panzer1
10-23-2009, 02:09
If your are thru-hiking you would in theory need a license for every state you go thru. could be expensive.

Panzer

JoshStover
10-23-2009, 02:14
Could be VERY expensive. A fishing liscense with a trout stamp cost just under $40 in WV.

Wise Old Owl
10-23-2009, 02:40
Same for PA,

Sorrie we discussed this before last year here on WB, and I am all for fishing on the AT where ever possible. But consider this, most of the trail is on top of a ridge or bald, not on a stream. Here in Pa many of the streams are polluted so bad and you cannot eat what is caught even in Valley Forge National Park.

SO don't bother unless you are catch and release type person.

Here is my tell for playing poker with fish. If I see fresh water snails and clams in the brook, that I am fly fishin in, then its ok to eat. If small crustations, snails, clams, some insects are missing I take a pass.

Hoop Time
10-23-2009, 06:51
Same for PA,

Sorrie we discussed this before last year here on WB, and I am all for fishing on the AT where ever possible. But consider this, most of the trail is on top of a ridge or bald, not on a stream. Here in Pa many of the streams are polluted so bad and you cannot eat what is caught even in Valley Forge National Park.

SO don't bother unless you are catch and release type person.

Here is my tell for playing poker with fish. If I see fresh water snails and clams in the brook, that I am fly fishin in, then its ok to eat. If small crustations, snails, clams, some insects are missing I take a pass.

Actually, the trail crosses at least two very fine trout streams in Pa. -- the Yellow Breeches in Boiling Springs is actually a destination stream for many fly fishermen in the east and crosses Clarks Creek, a little north of the Peters Mountain Shelter. Clarks is a tailwater fishery below the DeHart Dam (which is Harrisburg's reservoir) and is also well regarded.

But the license issue is real, and I would not fish either stream without one because both are pretty easily accessible and in those areas, both are special regulation waters which do get patrolled by fish commission wardens. For an out of state angler, you're talking over $60 for license and trout stamp, though if you were only going to fish those streams as you walked through, you could go with a 7-day tourist license for around $35 (not sure if you need a trout stamp with that -- $10 -- the regs say it is included with a 1-day tourist license, but are not clear if it is included with the 7-day, or 3-day -- probably not since a 3-day costs the same as the 1-day -- $27).

Now, if you were to hike the Great Eastern Trail, I'd be more inclined to suggest spending the $$ because in Pa., a stretch of about 5 miles of the Mid State Trail -- part of the GET -- runs right beside Penns Creek, which is considered one of the top trout streams east of the Mississippi and the section the trail runs by is some of the best water on that stream.