PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Georgia in June & campsite recommendations

ShoelessWanderer
10-23-2009, 13:05
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-greet024.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php) So, I'm in the VERY beginning steps of planning a section hike of Georgia. I was thinking the first or second week of June. I know summers are hot and humid down there, but not sure if this would be a problem that early in the summer, so need some advice from you guys.

Also, since we'll do the whole 75 miles in Georgia, what are the campsites you recommend and why. Good views? Points of interest? Just really cool campsite?

And thanks in advance for everyone's two cents! http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-gen163.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Rambler1
10-23-2009, 13:54
Expect hot, hot, humid and maybe hot.
Possible low water..depends

May - not hot but good chance for rain
April - rainey, cold, but not hot.

personally, I like early to mid Oct.

Dances with Mice
10-23-2009, 14:46
Y'know, nobody visits Hickory Flats much anymore since the trail was relo'd. But right after Long Creek Falls and immediately before the start of the Hawk Mtn climb you'll cross a gravel road. Take a left (if NOBO) for 200'ish yards and you'll find the site of an old church. All that remains now is a huge picnic shelter and a cinderblock privy and the cemetary. The old cemetary is worth walking through. It's also a much more comfortable camp than Hawk Mtn if that's your destination for the first day. It's so close to Springer though that it (...and Hawk Mtn too...) make for a really short first day's walk and it's also right after LC Falls where everyone stops for a break. But it is worth checking out.

tagg
10-23-2009, 15:13
It will already be hot in June, so if heat/humidity are a problem for you, I'd go before mid-May or into September. I've also find the bugs to be a little more bothersome early in the summer. I did all of Georgia the first week in September and it was still warm, but I didn't see a single mosquito, tick, or fly.

As far as campsites, there's a pretty cool spot about a mile or so north of Hawk Mt shelter. After you cross the gravel road that Dance with Mice mentioned, you'll have two short (but tiring) climbs up peaks that were not named in my trail guide. At the top of the second one, you'll see the place I'm talking about - great view, but you have to take any water you'll need from Hawk Mt, because it's dry up there.

I think remember seeing a pretty cool campsite at the top of the last big climb before you get to Woody Gap (heading north), but I didn't stay there.

I also really liked camping at Cheese Factory, which is just south of Tray Mt. There is a nice clearing right on the trail with long, soft grass to sleep on, and there is a water source a couple hundered yards away.

And although it's not really a campsite, I found Plumorchard Shelter to be a very nice place to stay, too.
Have fun!

bigmac_in
10-23-2009, 16:21
I'd second the Hickory Flats suggestion.

Gooch Gap is a nice place to camp.

I liked Slaughter Gap campsites on Blood Mtn.

We camped at Low Gap, but found some terrific campsites about a mile or 2 uphill past there. Just need to get your water filled up first.

Nice Camping on Cowrock Mtn., Cheese Factory, about a mile past Dick's Creek Gap there is a nice site on top of a hill, with water nearby. Oh yeah, and Bly Gap if you're going that far..

IM me if you want more detail.

Big Mac

ShoelessWanderer
10-23-2009, 16:41
So rather than June (before May is out due to schedule), maybe I should be aiming for sometime Sept or Oct? If I hit mid-oct how cold would it be?

daddytwosticks
10-23-2009, 16:51
Mid-Oct is a great time to hike Georgia...just came off a three day mid-week hike from Springer to Woody. The weather couldn't have been any better. The colors were spectacular...just be aware of the relocation around Justis Creek/Hell's Kitchen area! :)

take-a-knee
10-23-2009, 18:49
I'd second the Hickory Flats suggestion.

Gooch Gap is a nice place to camp.

I liked Slaughter Gap campsites on Blood Mtn.

We camped at Low Gap, but found some terrific campsites about a mile or 2 uphill past there. Just need to get your water filled up first.

Nice Camping on Cowrock Mtn., Cheese Factory, about a mile past Dick's Creek Gap there is a nice site on top of a hill, with water nearby. Oh yeah, and Bly Gap if you're going that far..

IM me if you want more detail.

Big Mac

All those are good, I would add Tray Mountain, if it is clear and isn't too windy, the wind blows right into that shelter. In June it'll likely be a blessing though I hiked the GA AT summer before last and the weather was perfect. We'd sweat a bit in the afternoon but it was tolerable. We started at Wayah Gap and headed south. We had a couple of mornings in the high forties.

bigmac_in
10-23-2009, 19:03
So rather than June (before May is out due to schedule), maybe I should be aiming for sometime Sept or Oct? If I hit mid-oct how cold would it be?

I've section hiked sections of GA in June - it's not that bad.

Skidsteer
10-23-2009, 19:17
I've section hiked sections of GA in June - it's not that bad.

I agree. Usually it doesn't get really hot until July and August, at least in the mountains.

riscphree
10-28-2009, 17:17
Wow thanks for the info guys, I'm also going in June and even though I live in Georiga (Savannah), I'm not terribly sure how the weather is up there. Great info!

bigcranky
10-28-2009, 18:33
Dunno about hot. We hiked Georgia starting in early June in 2003, and we had frost on our tarps the first night. The lows were consistently in the 40s the rest of the week. The high temps were warm, though. In June 2004 we hiked south from Fontana in warm, dry weather. Sent the stove and cook set home in Franklin, then immediately got a cold snap and wanted it back.

Campsites: Justus Creek. Cowrock Mountain. The Cheese Factory site. Springer Mountain summit. Tray Mountain summit.

ShoelessWanderer
03-24-2010, 12:58
Wanted to revive this thread. Will be hiking it this Oct...probably middle of the month. Hoping to get more imput on "must sees" along the trail in GA.

Graywolf
04-06-2010, 21:57
Y'know, nobody visits Hickory Flats much anymore since the trail was relo'd. But right after Long Creek Falls and immediately before the start of the Hawk Mtn climb you'll cross a gravel road. Take a left (if NOBO) for 200'ish yards and you'll find the site of an old church. All that remains now is a huge picnic shelter and a cinderblock privy and the cemetary. The old cemetary is worth walking through. It's also a much more comfortable camp than Hawk Mtn if that's your destination for the first day. It's so close to Springer though that it (...and Hawk Mtn too...) make for a really short first day's walk and it's also right after LC Falls where everyone stops for a break. But it is worth checking out.

I have to third Hicory Flats, The trail does go right by it..(Look on the map)...Last year I almost passed it up then when I came to the road crossing, I saw a sign on a post that said shed/camping 100 yards.. I did not know what this was at the time, but after posting here after my trip, I learned that it is teh old townsite/cemetary.. There si a pavillion there and I heard there is also a privy/restroom.. I passed it up but next time I may stary there instead of Stover to make the first day a longer day..Being by the falls gives more time to relax and. Plus there is also a site in the vacinity of the falls too..

Graywolf

Graywolf
04-06-2010, 22:02
Expect hot, hot, humid and maybe hot.
Possible low water..depends

May - not hot but good chance for rain
April - rainey, cold, but not hot.

personally, I like early to mid Oct.

June and July I don't know..But last August it was very nice..Not hot, just good hiking air..When I was planning, lots of hikers was telling me that it would be hot and humid..The temps never were above 85 and the humidity, nothing like in Texas...I really was loving..My advice is to check the weather reporst for the mountains, not the closest towns, i.e, Gainsville..Those readings will tell you its hot..The mountain reporst will tell you what its like in the mountains, which are cooler..

Good luck,

Graywolf

Hikerhead
04-06-2010, 23:18

I agree, this is a great place to camp. We camped here on our 2nd night. The first night was just a mile up the trail from the top of Amicalola after filling up on the buffet at the lodge...and I do mean filled up. I couldn't go any farther. I even got to ride on the whirlygig which I heard was no longer there.

Spogatz
04-08-2010, 22:25
There is man that takes care of Hickory Flats. If you run across him he is a great person to talk to as he knows most of the history around old community.

springerfever
04-10-2010, 00:35
Just passed through Hickory Flats the other day. Place looked great and had some very nice grassy campsites. Tombstones date back to the late 1800's. Very nice large pavilion and m/w restrooms. If you do visit please do not leave garbage or throw garbage into the latrines.

This would be an excellent place to overnight or sit out a rainstorm.

FatMan
04-10-2010, 08:14
June is a very transitional month up here. Early June can often be pleasant, but by the end of the month you are definitely in the heat and humidity of summer. The seasonal water sources usually run early in the month but dry up by the end.

Best bet for Georgia IMO is Mid May as the throngs of thrus have passed, water is everywhere, no more freezing temps, and many flowers are in bloom. Mid May is really the Spring of the GA AT.

Next choice for me for a first time hike would be in the last half of September.

And I second (oops...third) Hickory Flats as a neat place to camp.

FatMan
04-10-2010, 08:20
Wanted to revive this thread. Will be hiking it this Oct...probably middle of the month. Hoping to get more imput on "must sees" along the trail in GA.OK, I see you chose mid October. I missed that before writing my above post.

Mid October is another great time to hike, but you will be into freezing temps at night so be prepared. You will have pleny of day hikers depending upon when peak leaf season comes. Also, middle of October starts Large Game Hunting Season so wear plenty of Orange and be ready for the sound of gunshots all over the place.