PDA

View Full Version : Graymoor Spiritual Life Center in NY?

ShelterLeopard
10-23-2009, 13:21
Does anyone know anything about the Graymoor Spiritual Center? Do they still let hikers sleep in their baseball shelter?

Did they once let hikers sleep inside the monastery? (Just curious, because I love monasteries.)

Lone Wolf
10-23-2009, 13:43
i slept inside a few times back in the day. you got a small room with a twin bed and desk. dinner and breakfast too

max patch
10-23-2009, 13:55
...and a shower and access to a large library. one nite only. a not to be forgotten experience.

Jester2000
10-23-2009, 14:03
Yes, yes, and yes.

ShelterLeopard
10-23-2009, 15:12
Does anyone know why they stopped letting hikers sleep inside? (Again, just out of curiosity- I've heard from a couple people who got to do it, that it was really cool and the library was amazing.)

Jester2000
10-23-2009, 15:23
Here's a thread that goes into detail:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41749&highlight=graymoor

ShelterLeopard
10-23-2009, 15:33
Thanks Jester- that thread had all the answers I was looking for. It sounds like it was a wonderful experience and I would have loved to get to do it.

Don H
10-23-2009, 19:36
If you do stay there take the time to walk the grounds and tour the chapels and buildings, I found it all very interesting.

ShelterLeopard
10-24-2009, 00:53
I most definitely will.

Nest
10-24-2009, 01:15
I actually ended up taking an unplanned zero because I spent the entire day walking around the place and talknig to the guests and residents.

ShelterLeopard
10-25-2009, 11:25
I would LOVE a chance just to talk to some of the brothers there. I've heard that they're friendly and will indeed sometimes talk with hikers, is that true? Or are they more solitary and prefer to be left alone?

Nest
10-25-2009, 22:22
I would LOVE a chance just to talk to some of the brothers there. I've heard that they're friendly and will indeed sometimes talk with hikers, is that true? Or are they more solitary and prefer to be left alone?

Every night one of them will come down to the shelter area. They check to make sure no hikers are injured. If so they will run them to the hostpial if needed, or provide any other needed assistance. He will sometimes hang out for a while talking to the hikers and getting your "story". If you just walk around the grounds you might have them chat you up.

ShelterLeopard
10-26-2009, 00:39
That's so neat- they sound very nice. (I can't believe hikers have been rude to them in the past. Well, I can. I just wish I couldn't.) I wouldn't be surprised if I end up doing a zero or nero day after staying there- I'd love to walk the grounds, and I'd really love to talk to some of the brothers.

Nest
10-26-2009, 01:31
Enjoy it while you can, because I won't be surprised if they close the place to hikers here in a couple years. A mile south a market just opened this year that sells beer. Before that you had to hump your beer a decent ways to the monestary. Now it's less than a mile away, and a free place to stay. Give it time and hikers will screw this up for everyone by turning it into a drinking party place.

ShelterLeopard
10-26-2009, 01:36
Great. You're probably right. ARGGH! Some hikers just really don't know when to toe the line. I mean, getting drunk outside a monastery? (Well, anywhere people allow hikers to stay. But I won't get started on all that talk- there are plenty of threads about how disrespectful some hikers can be.)

Blissful
10-26-2009, 12:05
Strange people hang out there in the wee hours of the AM. Some guys arrived in pick up at 2 AM right next to my tent (glad my hubby was with me). And a guy was set up in the baseball shelter for days on end. I wouldn't atay there again myself.

RickatGraymoor
10-28-2009, 08:15
Yes, Hikers are still welcome to camp at the ballfield. Form many years there was a place for Hikers to spend the night in a dorm-style shelter. I believe it was known as the Hilton on the Appalachian Trail at the time. Unfortunately, due to the inability to maintain the facility and a lack of Friars to adequately meet the needs of so many that needed accomodations, currently at Graymoor there is only the shelter at the ballfield. However, Friars do check the area daily and provide assistance (medical, etc.) where needed. You can learn a few more things about the Appalachian Trail at Graymoor by visiting our website: http://www.atonementfriars.org/at_graymoor.htm

ShelterLeopard
11-03-2009, 00:11
Rick at Graymoor, do you live with the friars? (Or are you one of the brothers?) You don't know if they offer a Sunday service open to the public, do you? I don't think they do, and I would be somewhat surprised if they did, but I just thought I'd ask.

Spokes
11-03-2009, 00:32
I don't think dinner is served there anymore as mentioned in some of the guidebooks. Anyone know for sure?

ShelterLeopard
11-03-2009, 12:13
From what I've heard, it isn't.