PDA

View Full Version : Icebreaker 150 Tech-T causing prickly heat, anyone else?

Earthling
10-24-2009, 08:12
Howdy all.
Ive just walked for 6 days in temps up to 35celcius...95F, and on arival home had the obligatory shower and discovered I have prickly heat in my armpits.
I wore the Icebreaker Tech-T 150 wool product. Humidity was actually quite dry, not humid at all.
The top was moist at times through sweating and after the 3rd day had a nice circular salt layer from where the pack was against my back (Golite Pinnacle). I washed the top in a creek and it was again fine.
I didnt wear the top at night...

Has anybody else discovered they get prickly heat from these woollen tops or is it just me?

Any other natural products in the way of tops that dont stink up?

Earthling
10-24-2009, 16:12
For those who dont know what prickly heat is, its a bacterial infection caused by trapped moisture on the skin. Such as sweating in a humid environment for some time.
Heres a link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prickly_heat

The effect on me was small pimple like rash covering the armpits area and itchy.

Its also called Miliaria...notice the extra i.....

ChinMusic
10-24-2009, 16:23
Icebreaker tops are all I wear next to my skin, summer and winter....no issues.

mudhead
10-24-2009, 16:49
Icebreaker tops are all I wear next to my skin, summer and winter....no issues.

But in 35*C?

I'll guess that strong sunlight was involved. Or the shirt would not have been worn.

ChinMusic
10-24-2009, 16:56
But in 35*C?

I'll guess that strong sunlight was involved. Or the shirt would not have been worn.
I don't backpack in that kind of heat but I do dayhike/walk. Yes I wear wool even in temps nearing 100 degrees.

mudhead
10-24-2009, 17:06
I thought I was the lizard in the family. That wool must be fine stuff.

Back to the rash at hand. I have found some types of wool socks make me break out. Also many soaps/detergents. Might be a case of that, or contributed to the rash.

Earthling
10-24-2009, 17:50
But in 35*C?

Yes it was sunny, no clouds. Humidity 30-35%.

Earthling
10-24-2009, 17:59
I thought I was the lizard in the family. That wool must be fine stuff.

Back to the rash at hand. I have found some types of wool socks make me break out. Also many soaps/detergents. Might be a case of that, or contributed to the rash.

Ive been using the same natural soap for around 2 years now and used it only once in that 6 days...pongy :) So I feel I can rule out the soap.
I was sleeping in a Mountain Hardwear 45F with silk liner, with the zip half closed...so airing was happening and nothing against my armpits as I tend to keep them in the silk liner, not on top.
I cant see it being anything but the wool top and my armpits sweating creating a humid environment for bacteria to breed...for me it seems the tops are good to a certain temp and then moisture overloading the evaporation/breathablility factor.

paintplongo
10-24-2009, 18:19
Wearing my icebreaker shirt this summer would randomly make my back itch like crazy...

Earthling
10-24-2009, 18:35
Wearing my icebreaker shirt this summer would randomly make my back itch like crazy...
Is that whilst wearing your pack, thus sweat doesnt evapourate?

Earthling
10-30-2009, 05:35
Well Im happy to say my pricklyheat cleared up after 4 days and all is goood.

Anybody else suffer from these wool goods?

brooklynkayak
10-30-2009, 09:48
Anybody else suffer from these wool goods?

My wife is allergic to wool and gets a hives like condition. I have recently become a huge fan of merino wool as I would find that not only did synthetic make me stink, it also caused my eczema to flare up.

I think any clothing that is wet and hot for long periods of time will cause prickly heat, It could have been aggravated by a trace amount of detergent or fabric treatments in the material and/or medical conditions like dehydration or stress...

Earthling
10-31-2009, 17:14
My wife is allergic to wool and gets a hives like condition. I have recently become a huge fan of merino wool as I would find that not only did synthetic make me stink, it also caused my eczema to flare up.

I think any clothing that is wet and hot for long periods of time will cause prickly heat, It could have been aggravated by a trace amount of detergent or fabric treatments in the material and/or medical conditions like dehydration or stress...

Yes. I agree with you.

I used to always wear polyprop or cotton. No problems. They do seem to evaporate the moisture away from the material quicker though then wool....or is it just my perception? Thus wool can cause increased humidity in the area between wool and skin.
Im considering cutting out some breathing holes under the armpits of the top and see if that resolves the problem...not sure when the next multiday hike is though....