PDA

View Full Version : camera questions

birdog
10-24-2009, 17:53
Hey folks, Birdog here. Can anyone help me make an educated choice in these " new-fangled" digital cameras? I know nothing of cameras or photography other than what other people ask me to use to take their picture with when they all want to be in the same picture together. Thats it. I have heard of "mega-pixels" and have an idea of dollars reguired to secure one of these beasts but other than hiking with an experienced photo-dude(now recovering from knee surgery), I'm clueless. Need help on brands, costs, tech info, and "useability". I'm ultralight in my thinking and somewhat cost conscience. Thanks in advance.

Lyle
10-24-2009, 19:07
- Simpler is better.

- Megapixels are NOT that important, especially with the small size of camera most folks take backpacking. Six megapixels are plenty, 8 ok, beyond that and the low-light performance suffers tremendously.

- Optical zoom is good, Digital zoom should be turned off and not considered

- rechargeable propriatary batteries are lighter and last a fairly long time. AA batteries are easier to replace in small towns, but do not last nearly as long and are heavier.

- For outdoor shooting, a nice wide angle is probably more important than a telephoto. To get really useful telephoto, like for taking close-up wildlife shots, you really need a high-end or dSLR with a telephoto lens.

These are my opinions, sure others will offer theirs. A very good quality camera for trail snapshots can be had for under $150 or $200. I like Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Fuji, Panasonic, Samsung. Have not had great luck with Olympus, others like 'em.

Feral Bill
10-24-2009, 19:58
- Simpler is better.

- Megapixels are NOT that important, especially with the small size of camera most folks take backpacking. Six megapixels are plenty, 8 ok, beyond that and the low-light performance suffers tremendously.

- rechargeable propriatary batteries are lighter and last a fairly long time. AA batteries are easier to replace in small towns, but do not last nearly as long and are heavier.

- For outdoor shooting, a nice wide angle is probably more important than a telephoto. To get really useful telephoto, like for taking close-up wildlife shots, you really need a high-end or dSLR with a telephoto lens.

These are my opinions, sure others will offer theirs. A very good quality camera for trail snapshots can be had for under $150 or $200. I like Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Fuji, Panasonic, Samsung. Have not had great luck with Olympus, others like 'em.

Except for liking Olympus, I agree. Being new to photography, you might consider a used, slightly dated model at a low price. With experience you can decide on an upgrade, and save the cheap one for nasty conditions. A photography class wouldn't hurt either.

Cookerhiker
10-24-2009, 20:07
- Simpler is better.

Good advice - I learned alot even though I've been using a digital for 6 years. But your advice on batteries is contrary to my experience. On a trip last winter I finally started using rechargable Duracell batteries for my Nikon and had lots of problems - the camera kept crashing with the "Lens error" message. Replacing them with regular batteries cleared up that problem. Regarding other electronics, I've found that some devices don't take rechargable batteries at all while others (like my computer mouse) actually burn out faster.

I purchased my Nikon in 2004 - could it be too old for rechargables?

Lyle
10-24-2009, 20:28
Good advice - I learned alot even though I've been using a digital for 6 years. But your advice on batteries is contrary to my experience. On a trip last winter I finally started using rechargable Duracell batteries for my Nikon and had lots of problems - the camera kept crashing with the "Lens error" message. Replacing them with regular batteries cleared up that problem. Regarding other electronics, I've found that some devices don't take rechargable batteries at all while others (like my computer mouse) actually burn out faster.

I purchased my Nikon in 2004 - could it be too old for rechargables?

Thanks.

When talking the rechargeable, I was implying that the proprietary batteries that come in most cameras last longer and are lighter than if you insist on getting a camera that accepts AA batteries. My experience with rechargeable AA is that they are more economical, but they do not last as long per charge as a new set of Alkalines will.

Check with your Camera manufacturer if you want to be able to use AA Lithiums - probably the best option if your camera will be safe.

Shutterbug
10-24-2009, 21:08
Hey folks, Birdog here. Can anyone help me make an educated choice in these " new-fangled" digital cameras? I know nothing of cameras or photography other than what other people ask me to use to take their picture with when they all want to be in the same picture together. Thats it. I have heard of "mega-pixels" and have an idea of dollars reguired to secure one of these beasts but other than hiking with an experienced photo-dude(now recovering from knee surgery), I'm clueless. Need help on brands, costs, tech info, and "useability". I'm ultralight in my thinking and somewhat cost conscience. Thanks in advance.

I suggest that you buy a really cheap digital camera and use it for a few weeks. You will quickly learn what is important to you and what isn't.

You can buy a Kodak Easy Share from WalMart for $84.88. It is a good beginner's camera and has most of the features you will use.

Slo-go'en
10-24-2009, 21:40
The reason AA rechargables don't seem to last as long as regular alkalines is because they start out at a somewhat lower voltage than a freash alkaline and that will make a big difference in a camara.

I happened to pick up a cheap $50.00 "Digital Concepts" camara at Walgreens in Erwin a few years ago (so it probably isn't available anymore) and it turned out to be perfict for the trail. A 2meg SD card (not supplied) stores a lot of pictures, it has no moving parts (no optical zoom) so the batteries last a really long time and is pretty light weight with lithium batteries. The only down side is it is a little bulky compared to new, fancy camaras and it has a tiny LCD vewing screen which is mostly useless in daylight - thankfully it has a view finder of sorts to look through. Many of the pictures in my gallery were taken with this camara.

TJ aka Teej
10-24-2009, 22:20
You can buy a Kodak Easy Share from WalMart for $84.88. It is a good beginner's camera and has most of the features you will use. [/SIZE]

Or ask around, your friends and family probably have more than a few 'outdated' cameras you can field test. When thinking digital the photo software you end up using is as important as the camera, in my opinion, so don't forget to look into that too.

Connie
10-25-2009, 00:44
1. +1 Do get all the "optical" zoom you can.

Buy an older" camera to get more, when money is a factor.

2. Maybe consider adding a "Class 6" SD card and make YouTube compatible short movies?

I just found out in the instruction manual the "older" Canon digital camera, I have, will make a movie.

3. I shoot in RAW, if I want a big picture. Does the digital camera have RAW? Do you ever want a poster-size photo print?

4. Do consider "photostitch" or equivalent, for panorama photos.

5. Have a look at HDR. It is three quick bracketed exposures, or more. Most digital cameras will make bracketed exposures.

The HDR scenic photos on Flickr are spectacular.

6. Consider the stickpic. It goes on the end of your hiking stick.

7. On the other hand, I saw a 40X "optical" zoom Samsung video cam reasonably priced that looked like it would do it all, including still photos. It was more lightweight and compact than the "older" canon 10X optical zoom digital camera, I have, and it fit nicely in my hand.

I don't know if that Samsung would take a short burst of three bracketed photos.

I know I want to try HDR. It probably doesn't do RAW.

8. "Big box" stores sometimes have special pricing that are amazing, once you know what you are looking for.

Do not be taken in by "price".

Franco
10-25-2009, 02:39
As usual you need to start somewhere. Once yo have a point of reference it is much easier to know what you should look for.
As an example if you take some shots with a 4x zoom (say 38-150mm) and you notice that the tele is OK but you prefer more wide angle, well that is a good place to start from...
In simple terms any number smaller than 50 is considered to be wide, any number above is tele. So a 200mm is a 4x tele, a 24mm is twice(-/+) as wide as a "standard" 50. ( imagine 8 people captured with the 24,4 with the 50 and 1 with the 200, from the same distance)
In a compact digital camera the zoom can start at 24,25,28,35, and 38mm , typically ending between 60 and 300mm. (these numbers are the 35mm equivalents since the actual number will differ according to the size of the sensor...)
Be careful with SD cards. Older cameras, pre 2006, do not work with the SDHC cards and often do not accept cards above 1-2 or 4 GB. So you need to find out before you buy.
Video cameras are not well suited for still shots. Get a video camera if you do want to take videos or a still for ...stills.
Most still cameras now take videos but they do have limits as to focusing/zooming and or frame rate and max capture time.
As for low light, there are awful 6 mp cameras and one of the best is the LX3 (10mp) so if that is important Google "camera x low light"
Keep in mind that a lot of comments come from people that are very particular and may not apply to what you can see...
Franco

Grinder
10-25-2009, 08:36
What not to buy.
I am an anti gear snob. (no offense to those who ARE gear snobs). It seems that the advise from sites like these insist that only the very best and most expensive will do an adequate job.

As an anti gear snob, I either make my own or buy used or the entry level cheapie model. This leads to learning experiences. <G>

I just bought a camera from an on line electronics place. It has no name on it (I just looked). Two main bitches with it:
1. The picture doesn't happen when you press the shutter. The camera computes the needed exposure and then takes the picture a second or two later. I have quite a few pictures of the ground at my feet or motion streaked from when I lowered the camera. GRRR!
2.The flash function is not automatic. I got many dim twilight pictures. You can edit them to be visible if pale and faded looking.
Also, it doesn't have a macro setting (that I can find) for closeups

The last camera I bought was a $65 ebay deal a friend had vetted and it worked fine, on a par with a Canon powershot.But the plastic battery door broke after a few years.

I used a borrowed Canon Powershot for a trip last year and lost a lot of pictures from (I think) a low battery I didn't catch in time. So, even well known brands are not idiot proof.

Hope these comments help you find a satisfactory camera

birdog
10-25-2009, 08:52
Thanks everyone. I feel like I can make a better decision in the world of digital camera electronics thingies. Very nice of you all to help out. See you in the Smoky's.

jersey joe
10-25-2009, 10:15
I am a big fan of the Canon Elf series. Small, light and in my experience over the past 6 years, durable.

Grampie
10-25-2009, 10:25
During my thru I used inexpensive readialy available disposable cameras. I never had to worry about someone stealing it, or having the battery go dead. Once I took all the pictures I would send it home and buy another. I took about 300 pictures with these cameras and I would chalenge anyone looking at the pictures to say that they were not taken with an expencive camera.
I would carry it in a zip lock bag and I never had to worry about it getting wet.

njordan2
10-25-2009, 11:00
A fuji finepix f10 is 6.3megapixels and takes excellent photos. New it is around $250, used around $150. The most outstanding feature is its waterproof case. I think the case is around $200. The camera fits in the case and is 100% waterproof/mudproof etc. All buttons and knobs are fully functional while in the case. With a 1meg chip, it can take around 700 photos or around 20minutes of movies.

The two down sides are:
1.) With the case it is bulky, (without it is about the size of a pack of cigarettes
2.) Fuji uses an XD picture card. It cannot accept SD and the computer needs to have an XD card slot. The XD will not fit in an SD. This is not a problem, though, if you dowload using the USB cord.

Shutterbug
10-25-2009, 19:07
Or ask around, your friends and family probably have more than a few 'outdated' cameras you can field test. When thinking digital the photo software you end up using is as important as the camera, in my opinion, so don't forget to look into that too.

Google Picasa is free and it is good software.

Feral Bill
10-25-2009, 21:16
I took a look on ebay. Plenty of good cameras for less than $50.

Jeepocachers
10-26-2009, 08:31
I suggest that you buy a really cheap digital camera and use it for a few weeks.

This is exactly what I did, and this is what I learned: Stabilation is important because I had to delete many great pictures because of all the blur due to not keeping the camera perfectly still. With that, the best buy guy showed me two decent and relatively cheap cameras that took care of that problem. But, that wasn't my only problem - Optical zoom was another concern. I like to get shots of wildlife, and no matter what I do, I can't ever seem to zoom in enough, and all my pics end up looking like just a shot of the woods, so without spending a wad of money on one of those super fancy cameras, I found a canon Powershot w/10X optical image stabilized zoom for not much more than than the others. It's supposed to be cold and shock proof too unlike my other options, so I thought that was an added bonus. I don't know, we'll see, It hasn't arrived to the house yet. Anyway, those were my reasons for purchasing this particular camera. Hopefully it was a good choice...i'm sure someone will tell me what a fool I am if it's not

Schuetzen
10-26-2009, 12:58
Jeepocachers:

What is the model # of the Canon you ordered?

sheepdog
10-26-2009, 13:37
Might want to consider getting what ever brand camera from Best Buy. They have a "no matter what" warranty that you can purchase. If you drop it in the lake, as long as you can fish it out and take it back to the store. They will fix or replace it.

Tennessee Viking
10-26-2009, 13:52
I currently have a Canon ELPH. Its one of Canon more advanced point and shoot cameras. Continuous shots, several pre-programmed/white balance settings, panoramic stitching, and very light weight.

I also had 2 FujiFilms FinePix. Very simple camera that took good pics. But the XD format was a little more than the SD. But now Fuji is making their cameras XD/SD compatible.

Jeepocachers
10-26-2009, 15:57
What is the model # of the Canon you ordered?

It's an SX120IS

Hokie
10-26-2009, 16:58
Consider several of the models (Olympus and now others) that are waterproof and shockproof as well so you do not have to worry so much about it in the rain and foggy weather. Besides, you will want some pictures in these "typical" conditions as well!

beakerman
10-26-2009, 21:13
Opinions on which camera to buy are as varied as opinions on which backpack to buy. Each one is just as valid as the next. With that in mind I'm not going to tell you which brand/model camera is the best one for you...first of all only you know your experience level and your ability to learn how to do things but I will offer some simple guidelines which are true of any camera (film or digital):

If you have very little photography experience then the more simple the camera the better. Think: simple point and shoot. You don't want to have to flip through the manual to remember how to set shutter speeds, apertures and flash delays. You will be better served by one that does most if not all of that for you but has over-ride capabilities so as you get more experience you can play around with different settings to get better pictures. True they will not take as great a photo as the high dollar cameras but if you are not comfortable with it how often do you think you will pull it out to take a picture? Keep in mind some of the best photo-ops are very spontaneous and fiddling with menus or buttons is not what you want to be doing while a bear is playing punching bag with your shelter-mate's improperly hung food bag at 6AM because that is a cool photo and you wouldn't want to miss it.

Most of the digital cameras have pre-programed settings for various types of shots. As a beginner you will likely want to use these so look for them.

I would definitely recommend something with optical zoom. Many have digital zoom and they suck. I have only seen one or two high end cameras that had a halfway decent digital zoom.

Also most folks take close up shots of flowers or spiders so if you want to do that make sure it has a macro feature. This will allow you to get the camera about a foot away from whatever it is you are trying to photograph and the focus will still work.

I strongly recommend playing with these features before you buy. Almost every place that sells digital cameras will let you mess around with them--take some test photos see if they will let you display them on a computer monitor there or let you print them off.

Don't get hung up on megapixels. I have seen 6MP cameras take better photos than 10MP cameras because the optics were better. So something in that 8MP range is probably going to be sufficient provided it has a decent lens. Same is true of price. The real cheap ones are going to have crappy optics where are the really expensive ones are probably more optics than you will ever use.

Also keep in mind you will be carrying this thing along with you. If it's too big and bulky you will tend to keep it in your pack and not take any photos so you just carried a few pounds of useless gear. You want something small enough that the weight will not be a major issue but not so small that you can't operate it without a pair of tweezers. Again you know how much your fingers resemble fat sausages so you make the call as to how small is too small.

Really that's all I have for you

buz
10-27-2009, 11:25
When you buy a camera, my .02 would be these:

If it uses AA batteries, buy lithium ones, and a back up set.

If it uses a proprietary battery, seriously consider buying a second battery for the camera.

Buy a secondary card and keep it with the camera, along with batteries.

I use a case, for above supplies, and protection.

Use the wrist strap every time, accidents happen, and will likely ruin camera.

Murphy can strike anytime, the above items keeps him at bay, lol.

alphawolfe
11-17-2009, 00:28
JFYI - Just ordered the AgfaPhoto DC-600uw (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=12561212) from Wally-World. German company that is making a rugged 6MPix camera that has suggested MSRP of ~$190.00 but Wal-Mart is currently selling it for $99.00. Uses AA batteries so there is no need to buy extra camera specific batteries or worry about finding a place to recharge when power is low, is waterproof so no need to buy additional waterproof housing, it's way cheaper than other rugged digitals I've reseached (a little bit of a trade off with some of their features), it looks to have good video and sound (unlike other low cost waterproof cameras on the market), and I kinda liked the funky orange and black color (Wal-M currently has blue/silver in stock for same price).

My Olympus camera specific battery kept going down on me during an extended trip to New Zealand so I thought I'd give this one a go. I think I'll like having the AA batteries for my thru and I know I like the price. I'll try to post a follow-up on the performance once the camera gets here and I'm able to put it to the test.

Now I need to put my Olympus up for sale :)

Franco
11-17-2009, 01:46
Agfa has been a Belgian company since 1981 (Gaevart), however the licencing rights for cameras are owned by PLAWA, a German company that claim to be a manufacturer. Strangely all of their other "Agfa" cameras look like Sanyo products to me .
http://www.plawausa.com/en/usastart/ (http://www.plawausa.com/en/usastart/)
Franco
( not that it makes any difference, Sanyo make DSC and video cameras for a lot of top brands)

Marta
11-17-2009, 07:15
My camera-happy son sent me to this website:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/recommended-cameras.htm

I'm thinking about buying a Canon A1000. Has anyone used that while hiking? Does it have a macro mode?

Connie
11-22-2009, 03:08
I don't have that model.

I do have a Canon IS model. The Image Stabilization works.

The lens equivalent 35-145: 35 is the lens of black and white "news photos" in history. It is fun to work with that idea, as a genre, e.g. newsy photos. I still do "environmental portrait" photos with my Leica 105mm lens.

That is my experience.

So, I would say that range will be acceptable for "people photos" on the trail.

I like Canon "color".

Grinder
11-22-2009, 09:51
canon powershot A series, IMHO, for a good mix of value/ price.

I got rave recommendations from a photographer friend for the Powershot A590is, but it's out of production now and the few new ones left are priced real high.

A480 currently on Amazon new for $109 .