PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Charlie hits Florida.

Miss Janet
08-13-2004, 16:34
I guess Florida is getting pounded right at the moment. I hope all the WB Florida members are safe and dry!

So, what does it look like down that way... I have good freinds near St. Pete and Tampa...

eyahiker
08-13-2004, 18:59
East Coast by Jax, so far, a little gray cloud, a mild breeze, and some rain, but most everything closed at 6 including Walmarts, grocery stores, etc. A few restaurants are open, and plenty of people are putting up plywood.:sun

Mountain Dew
08-14-2004, 02:30
Isn't that the same hurricane that followed last years group of hikers for oh say 7 months ? ;) What's that song called...... " Rock me like a hurricane " from the 1980's ?

Bandana Man
08-14-2004, 20:09
Miss Janet,
Tampa and St.Pete are fine. The storm came inland much farther south about 20 miles north of Fort Myers. My family and I live in Apopka, a little town north of Orlando. We huddled around the TV and watched local radar as the storm advanced on us like an attacking army. The most violent part of the storm missed Apopka by about 5 miles. We had winds of only 50 MPH compared to twice that just a few miles away. Local law enforcement has asked residents to stay off the roads so that emergency vehicles are unhindered, and I have not driven around to see the damage, which was extensive. We were lucky in Apopka. A lot of others were not. It's very sad.

squirrel bait
08-14-2004, 20:28
It just went over my house here on the Outer Banks. Lots of wind and rain resulting in flooding but nothing terribly damaged. Florida I'm afraid bore the brunt of this one. No loss of power here so I can't say I tested LilRedMg's soda can stove, it's still Hurricane Isabel tested though.

Flash Hand
08-18-2004, 03:42
Re: Hurricane Charley

I even registered in VolutneerFlorida.org to try to get myself involved out there in Florida to help them clean up the mess until my next thru hike attempt next year. I hope I will be called so that I can experience as a volunteer. Anyone of you member of WB are currently volunteering or know of anyone that volunteer, tell them about me.. I d love to help them with clean up and cut down the fallen trees. I even can stay there until December.

Flash Hand :jump

ga>me>ak
08-18-2004, 12:52
My brother went to an area( Tuesday) that recieved the worst of the storm. He said it was utter devastation. He took some stuff with him and handed it out at a migrant trailer park that is no more. Said they were very, very, very grateful for even the simplest things, especially baby/children items. This was supposed to be the Tampa Bay area, we were lucky. We have been collecting stuff from friends,work, my subdivison to take 2 truckloads into this area Sat. Amazing how much we have so far, might have to make a couple of trips.
Now before anyone bashes me, I know the Red Cross and other orgs do a great job. However, we wanted to concetrate on the areas where these people have lived with next to nothing, and are NOW living with nothing. Not the damaged 2 story vacation house with insurance, the sailboat, and the smashed Humvee in the driveway. These people are hurting too, but probably have the resources to help themselves given time. Hope I am saying what I mean to.
Considering I had planned on coming back to no home myself, if it had hit, (I live not far from the bay) this is how we're gonna help. Just our .02 worth.

PS Wish I had a truckload of soda stoves ready to go, along with 50 gallons of alcohol.

sgtjinx
08-18-2004, 12:56
Down here in Tampa, all we got was some rain. Saturday, it pour about 3 to 4 inches of rain. That was a lot worst than on Friday. Thank God!!!

Sgt Jinx:clap

Percival
08-18-2004, 15:24
Those suckers deserved what they got. You live on the coast in hurricane alley, expect to get blown away.

Tom For Short
08-18-2004, 22:34
South west Florida took a hard hit on Friday. My plans to finish the last 260 miles in Penn. and NJ are on hold. Senica Lou and I were set to leave and then along came Charley. We were very fortunate the storms eye passed about 25 miles north of us. We lost a couple of trees but no damage to our home. I have heard from Bluebird and Puffdaddy who hiked with us last year and also live in Fort Myers. They made it through with no major problems. We were very lucky this time.

sgtjinx
08-19-2004, 13:58
Those suckers deserved what they got. You live on the coast in hurricane alley, expect to get blown away.
It doesn't make a difference where you live. When it's The time, it's The time!!!
But when you see 60 to 80 year old people, hiding in the closet. Three days after the storm distoryed their homes. Afraid they would die it they left the closet. Makes you wander who are the crazy ones, us or them. :confused: