PDA

View Full Version : Potentially stupid question re: Maptech CD's

dperry
08-13-2004, 19:36
I am interesting in getting the Maptech complete maps of the trail on CD-ROM. The questions is, is there any difference between what Maptech sells directly and what the ATC sells? I would imagine there isn't, but just want to make sure.

trippclark
08-13-2004, 19:45
I bought them from ATC, and belive as you suspect that there is no difference.

One thing that I really like is that it has the complete text of the guides. When I go on a section hike, I copy and paste into Word the sections that I will be hiking, strip out things that I don't need/want, make the font and margins small, and take that with me in place of the guides or photocopied pages. I also usually include elevation profiles. Printing the maps, though, for me, is pretty useless.

Kerosene
08-13-2004, 19:58
I purchased the Maptech AT CDs also. While I agree with trippclark that you can edit the guidebook, I've come to the conclusion that, given that Maptech is not keeping the guidebook text up to date, that I'm better off buying the relevant ATC guidebook, shrinking down the relevant pages to 65% and cut-and-pasting-and-copying to 8 guidebook pages per side of 8.5"x11" piece of paper. Works great for a section hike.