PDA

View Full Version : I-40 Rockslide

Not So Fast!
10-25-2009, 17:55
Is this anywhere near the AT? Sounds like that immediate area will be a mess for quite a while.

modiyooch
10-25-2009, 18:21
this will be a major disruption. that's a lengthy detour to cross into tn. There aren't many roads thru them hills.
They said that the rockslide was 3miles into TN and to the best of my knowledge, the AT crosses pretty much as the state line.

modiyooch
10-25-2009, 18:44
my guess is they will be placing warning signs 150 miles east of the landslide and direct traffic up i77 into VA.

winger
10-25-2009, 18:51
On the news just now, the detour will be I 40 back to I 81 and then south on I26 back to Asheville. That is a MAJOR diversion, but one that has happened several times over the years I have lived in East Tenn due to the rock slides or major accidents on that part of I 40.

ncmtns
10-25-2009, 19:07
19/23 will take you from asheville to chatanooga. I-26 north to johnson city from asheville. or even Hwy 25 north from asheville to Hot Springs and then around to Tennessee. All twisty cool roads with alot of banjo music in the air :rolleyes:

modiyooch
10-25-2009, 19:24
Did anyone get hurt?

Mango
10-25-2009, 19:38
The I-26 route from Asheville to Johnson City back down I-81 to Knoxville is not twisty with banjo music. That description fits the older US route from Asheville / Marshall to Hot Springs to Newport, TN. Maybe Curtis at Standing Bear can update us on where the slide is in relation to Davenport Gap and his hostel. From what I hear, this will be a multi-month blockage.

Cookerhiker
10-25-2009, 19:41
When did this occur? I just drove through this stretch of I-40 last week.

Marta
10-25-2009, 19:43
When I-40 collapsed into the Pigeon River a few years ago (around mile 4 in NC), I used the Hot-Springs to Newport route described above, when going back and forth to my parents' place in Middle TN. It's an enjoyable, but low-to-moderate speed drive. Highway addicts and big trucks should definitely stick to the interstates.

Rain Man
10-25-2009, 19:48
For what it's worth... from the Tennessee Dept of Transportation road conditions web site--

TDOT Smartmap (http://ww2.tdot.state.tn.us/tsw/smartmap.htm)

"Interstate 40 eastbound in Cocke County - Incident at TENNESSEE-NORTH CAROLINA STATE LINE reported at 10/25/2009 2:00:00 AM and estimated to be cleared by 11/25/2009 5:00:00 PM (Eastern Time Zone). Eastbound traffic is affected with all lanes blocked. Westbound traffic is affected with all lanes blocked. Both directions of traffic are being diverted to alternate routes. This is from a rock slide at mile marker 3 in North Carolina.information provided by NC DOT."

Maybe NC DOT web site has more? BINGO! Here's what they say--

NC DOT Travel Information (http://www.ncdot.org/traffictravel/)

"DUE TO A ROCK SLIDE, I-40 IS CLOSED IN BOTH DIRECTIONS AT MILE MARKER 3, NEAR THE TENNESSEE STATE LINE, WEST OF ASHEVILLE, IN HAYWOOD COUNTY .

"Due to an earlier rock slide, both directions of I-40 are closed at mile marker 3, near the Tennessee State Line, in Haywood Co., West of Asheville. The road is not expected to reopen for several weeks.

"Detour: Motorists traveling on I-40 West are advised to use I-240 West, to I-26 West out of Asheville, to Johnson City, TN, then take I-81 South back to I-40."

As this rock slide is in North Carolina, I doubt that it actually affects the AT directly.

Rain Man

Cabin Fever
10-25-2009, 19:58
One person had minor injuries because a rock hit her car. No one seriously hurt. I live 1 mile off I-26 near Johnson City. Not looking forward to the additional traffic.

modiyooch
10-25-2009, 19:59
So is access to the AT trailhead on I40 from the TN side or NC side?

Cabin Fever
10-25-2009, 20:02
Tennessee or take backroads to get to it from the NC side. Would have to come at it from the Max Patch area I think.

Bearpaw
10-25-2009, 20:03
So is access to the AT trailhead on I40 from the TN side or NC side?

It's on the Tennessee side by maybe a half mile. The underpass is exit 452 (?) on the Tennessee side.

modiyooch
10-25-2009, 20:04
When did this occur? I just drove through this stretch of I-40 last week.
from an article:

A rockslide covered I-40 in western North Carolina early Sunday morning, and officials say the highway could be closed for months as the cleanup proceeds.
The huge rockslide was reported at about 2 a.m. at mile marker 2.6, west of Asheville near the Tennessee border. No one was injured, according to a N.C. Department of Transportation spokesman.
Initial reports indicated that the rockslide, on Charlotte's main route through the mountains, is 50 feet high and 100 feet long, officials said.

curtisvowen
10-25-2009, 20:47
Need to get to Exit 451....Big Creek?
West I-40 bound go thru Asheville....Hot Springs (go see Bluff Mtn. Outfitters and get some outstanding coffee to go), then.....Newport,TN.
East Bound.....grrrrr...the latest is to get off of Exit 440, but I know the back roads and the road blocks can be had if you say you are a "local".
Exit 447 is hoppin'.....don't know further west, that's as far as I got today....I can get you to 447 on the old roads.
Super kool with the interstate closed....drove thru....nobody for miles....

Reid
10-25-2009, 21:09
I don't think the slide will knock the trail out by no means we'll just walk around it. Has anyone seen any pictures or anything?

Bulldawg
10-25-2009, 21:18
I don't think the slide will knock the trail out by no means we'll just walk around it. Has anyone seen any pictures or anything?

Just google it. Pretty major slide. I had read a 3 to 4 month closure. but according to Tennessee, it seems to be only a month. I hope so. The wife and I are headed to Gatlinburg for our 10 year anniversary in January and we usually have to use I40 in January to get there from here. I hope that 441 is either open or that I40 is open. Will probably cancel and opt for the beach if we have to go any alternate route.

I'd much rather go to Damascus FWIW, but she insists on Gatlinburg.:D

TwoForty
10-25-2009, 21:22
As much as I hate 81, it probably beats all those backroads around Hot Springs. You can get really lost back there.

modiyooch
10-25-2009, 21:23
It does interfere with shuttling.

Lugnut
10-25-2009, 21:49
As much as I hate 81, it probably beats all those backroads around Hot Springs. You can get really lost back there.

I drove the route thru Hot Springs today to get around the slide. There was a lot of car traffic, no big trucks. Hot Springs was decent enough to have cops directing traffic but not Newport. Newport was a disaster!

SouthMark
10-25-2009, 21:57
Headed to Hot Springs Nov 21 for a 5 day hike. Will be coming from Knoxville. Will I still be able to take I-40 to the Newport exit?

Kerosene
10-25-2009, 21:59
I'm in the middle of a section hike from Erwin to Davenport Gap. Looks like I won't be going all the way (grrr!). I'm glad I checked out this thread!

modiyooch
10-25-2009, 22:09
I'm in the middle of a section hike from Erwin to Davenport Gap. Looks like I won't be going all the way (grrr!). I'm glad I checked out this thread!can you keep on going to 441?

Lugnut
10-25-2009, 22:24
Headed to Hot Springs Nov 21 for a 5 day hike. Will be coming from Knoxville. Will I still be able to take I-40 to the Newport exit?

Yes. I got on at 341 from I-81 because I fell for their detour sighns at first. There were a lot of cars coming in from the right off I-40.

TwoForty
10-25-2009, 23:41
I drove the route thru Hot Springs today to get around the slide. There was a lot of car traffic, no big trucks. Hot Springs was decent enough to have cops directing traffic but not Newport. Newport was a disaster!

I have a feeling their stop light system wasn't designed for that :p

MintakaCat
10-26-2009, 05:56
Here's a photo:

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/9/3/7/7/rock_slide.jpg

Marta
10-26-2009, 06:31
I'm in the middle of a section hike from Erwin to Davenport Gap. Looks like I won't be going all the way (grrr!). I'm glad I checked out this thread!

I don't understand why not? The slide is on the highway, not on the trail.

Gray Blazer
10-26-2009, 07:04
The I-26 route from Asheville to Johnson City back down I-81 to Knoxville is not twisty with banjo music. That description fits the older US route from Asheville / Marshall to Hot Springs to Newport, TN. Maybe Curtis at Standing Bear can update us on where the slide is in relation to Davenport Gap and his hostel. From what I hear, this will be a multi-month blockage.

Thunder Road!!

GrubbyJohn
10-26-2009, 07:13
they just said it will be closed for 40 weeks thats right 40 weeks.darn near a year....

Kerosene
10-26-2009, 07:23
I don't understand why not? The slide is on the highway, not on the trail.My wife has been shuttling me this trip. Getting from her hotel in Greeneville, TN to Davenport Gap suddenly goes from 1 hour trip to 2.5 hours, not including traffic. Plus, we were heading home immediately after that, which would add another 2 hours onto our trip. I can only ask so much!

I was thinking about trying to push on to 441 at Newfound Gap, but my knee brace is rubbing the back of my knee raw. So, I'm going to slow down and look to finish at Max Patch.

Oh well, the best laid plans...

DirtBagger
10-26-2009, 07:44
Run run
get your gun

Evil doers have blocked access to the AT!!

Is this a real conversation?

I mean if I had to do this drive to get work everyday I would be concerned - but as a "once in a while" traveled road to get to a tralhead it aint gonna hurt that much -- as a matter of fact it might just make things a little more interesting. Something new might be discovered on the way to the trail.

warraghiyagey
10-26-2009, 08:23
http://www.wral.com/traffic/story/6278952/

http://o.aolcdn.com/photo-hub/news_gallery/6/3/635248/1256494555272.JPEG

Tennessee Viking
10-26-2009, 09:10
Happens every couple years.

Its around the 2-3 mile marker in NC, in between Harmon Den Road and the stateline. So access from Standing Bear/AT into NC is closed by I40.

Interstate traffic will be diverted up I26 from Asheville into TN, then to I81.

For AT detours, you can go from Asheville to Hot Springs either by US 70 (best) or NC 209 (very curvy) to Newport & I40. A backroad approach is to use Max Patch Road/Round Mtn Road to Del Rio, TN.

curtisvowen
10-26-2009, 09:13
This is my route from my place I-40/Exit 451 to Hot Springs.
West on I-40, get off at Exit 440.....that'll put you on 73, then it goes straight to 25/70. Which is locally called the "old Asheville Hwy".
You can use this route coming east or west on I-40. Reroutes you around Newport and 73 follows the Pigeon river down stream....pretty drive.
My drive time for this: 45 minutes to 1 hr.

curtisvowen
10-26-2009, 09:19
My Exit 451 is open, you just can't go East from my Exit.
Listen to what Tennessee Vikings says, he's got it spot on.

Kerosene - I don't know what road your taking....but I use 321 out of Greenville, TN then jump on the Interstate in Newport or use my bypass cause 321 enters Newport right in the middle of town.

Tennessee Viking
10-26-2009, 10:01
Curtis

is that a locked gate at the Harmon Den Road exit which has a forest road (FSR 288) that meets up at Waterville & Big Creek? I just saw it on Google.

Reid
10-26-2009, 10:40
I bet the sound it made was more impressive than the sight of it happening.

curtisvowen
10-26-2009, 10:41
I don't know.
Harmen's Den is Exit 7.
Waterville/Big Creek is what I'd call my exit 451.
Not a big deal, but I say they did gate it to get people off of 40. The locals will have to use FSR whatever which will put you out on Exit 15, but maybe that what is blocked? Don't know.
I'm going West bound today down to Newport and test things out.
There letting the locals use 40.
Coming from Knoxville you might have to take the old road Sevierville hwy to Newport, that'll bypass any reroute/local traffic issues at the 40/81 split.
On other notes it sure is quiet here without the truckers rolling down the interstate and the lost convoys of tourists were fun to meet yesterday. Seems they got rerouted through the local "I here banjos pa" neighborhood!

modiyooch
10-26-2009, 12:35
Run run
get your gun

Evil doers have blocked access to the AT!!

Is this a real conversation?

I mean if I had to do this drive to get work everyday I would be concerned - but as a "once in a while" traveled road to get to a tralhead it aint gonna hurt that much -- as a matter of fact it might just make things a little more interesting. Something new might be discovered on the way to the trail.It's a concern because I40 is the first road crossing north of the Smokies. The detour adds hours to the shuttle because you are routed almost to va to get thru. Definately need to know which direction, eastbound or westbound on 40, to approach by road. It's already a long shuttle from fontana to i40 without driving to i81 and back. but, it does sound like the locals have better solutions.

Ramble~On
10-26-2009, 12:41
:eek: I live in Sylva and I'm in Raleigh now. When I leave here to go home am I going to be able to use exit 27 or 31 ? If this slide is closer to the TN/NC line....I40 should still be open up to Canton and Clyde.........right?:-?

modiyooch
10-26-2009, 12:57
:eek: I live in Sylva and am in Raleigh now. When I leave here to go home am I going to be able to use exit 27 or 31 ? If this slide is closer to the TN/NC line....I40 should still be open up to Canton and Clyde.........right?:-?
I think you should be fine since it's at the state border..
out of curiousity, let me know if there are warning signs in statesville for thru traffic to use 77.

Chaco Taco
10-28-2009, 20:12
Thats just crazy

Tennessee Viking
10-28-2009, 21:26
:eek: I live in Sylva and I'm in Raleigh now. When I leave here to go home am I going to be able to use exit 27 or 31 ? If this slide is closer to the TN/NC line....I40 should still be open up to Canton and Clyde.........right?:-?
My family back in Tennessee says traffic on 81 is a little busier but not bad. And an old school chum, who works at Purchase Knob, says its great time to great time to drive as long as you are not wanting to go into Tennessee.

Heading toward Andrews this weekend myself.

Cookerhiker
03-17-2010, 15:53
Anyone know the latest status on the I-40 closure? Progress? Any idea when it will re-open?

SGT Rock
03-17-2010, 15:54
http://www.ncdot.org/travel/i40_rockslide/

Lone Wolf
03-17-2010, 15:56
http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2010/feb/18/stretch-i-40-closed-rockslide-wont-open-soon/

Cookerhiker
03-17-2010, 15:59
Thanks guys.

moytoy
03-17-2010, 17:48
I remember when there was a proposal to drill holes in the mountain and store spent uraniem rods. Very bad idea and project was shot down because of the old mountains being so unstable.

Ox97GaMe
03-18-2010, 11:10
Viking,
Are you talking about the FS road that cuts across from Harmen Den exit to Mt Sterling Rd? That road isnt gated, but does require 4WD to access. And there is one spot where the road goes through (no bridge) a fairly good sized creek. If the water is high, this road is impassible by vehicle. I have only been down that road once. It was a very nice drive, but it is narrow, curvy, and not often maintained. You are likely to encounter a few blowdowns, some rutty areas, and some deep mudholes. It is almost faster to just drive from Junalaska toward Cattaloochee Valley and across Mt Sterling Rd from there; if you are looking for a different alternative to driving through Hot Springs.