PDA

View Full Version : Where should a pack sit???

lazy river road
10-25-2009, 17:55
On your hips, :D, How far down. Ive been to several outfitters and have gotten different measurements. Ive decided on my pack just trying to figure out the size:-?

Toolshed
10-25-2009, 18:22
When I used to fit packs long ago, we would have folks put their hands on their hips to find the natural top of the hipbone spot - this is where the center of the hipbelt would ride. We would measure from this point, up the back, to the vertebrae that sticks out when you lower your head forward.
However, different people and different packs mean there are a number of options.
I think with a trend toward lighter packs, folks may have them riding a bit higher.
I buckle mine right below my belly button.
You can adjust further depending on your personal comfort level - some like t have them ride a bit lower - others a bit higher.

Dogwood
10-25-2009, 20:25
When I used to fit packs long ago, we would have folks put their hands on their hips to find the natural top of the hipbone spot - this is where the center of the hipbelt would ride. We would measure from this point, up the back, to the vertebrae that sticks out when you lower your head forward.
However, different people and different packs mean there are a number of options.
I think with a trend toward lighter packs, folks may have them riding a bit higher.
I buckle mine right below my belly button.
You can adjust further depending on your personal comfort level - some like t have them ride a bit lower - others a bit higher.

I will have to remember that hands on hips advice when measuring torsos! I think you are also right about UL folks letting their packs ride a bit higher on their hips. I know that's the way I now prefer to wear my UL packs.

Blissful
10-26-2009, 11:58
The hip belt is supposed to be centered over your iliiac crest (hip bone)

lazy river road
10-26-2009, 13:13
good advice every one thx, ill have to load up some packs with weights and try different sizes positioning the various pack sizes on my hips at different places.

Spokes
10-26-2009, 13:21

Is it just me or is finding your iliiac crest notoriously difficult? Seems like the darn thing floats around after walking around an outfitter wearing different packs. Toolshed's information on fitting seemed spot on.

For this years thru hike I ended up fitting my pack (Osprey Atmos 65) slightly higher than normal and it worked out great.

lazy river road
10-26-2009, 14:15
what are the advantages vs disadvantages to having the pack sit higher as opposed to lower visa versa.......

Blissful
10-26-2009, 18:34
Is it just me or is finding your iliiac crest notoriously difficult?

Unless you're fairly big and its covered by fat, put your hand on your waist and slide it down along the side. You'll come to a hard bone that has a slight curve to it. That is your iliac crest. Though its easier to find in us ladies.

Jester2000
10-26-2009, 18:37
When I used to fit packs long ago, we would have folks put their hands on their hips to find the natural top of the hipbone spot - this is where the center of the hipbelt would ride. We would measure from this point, up the back, to the vertebrae that sticks out when you lower your head forward. . .

Is it just me or is finding your iliiac crest notoriously difficult? Seems like the darn thing floats around after walking around an outfitter wearing different packs. Toolshed's information on fitting seemed spot on. . .

Toolshed's info is spot on. Regardless of how you choose to let your pack ride, the proper way to measure your true pack torso size is from your C7 Vertibrae to the Iliac crest. The easiest way to find these: put your jaw down against your chest, and that knob at the base of the back of your neck is the C7. The iliac crest is the top of your hips; as Toolshed noted the best way to measure this is to put your hands on your hips with your thumbs pointing in towards one another. The imaginary line they create is where you measure to from the C7.

Because pack sizes tend to differ only by a couple of inches, wearing your pack higher than normal might shift you into a smaller size pack, but you probably shouldn't wear your pack that way unless it's pretty light -- otherwise the pack will dig into your hips. As LRR mentions, if you're experimenting with different ways to wear packs, make sure you load them with weight and wear them for more than five minutes.

mudhead
10-26-2009, 19:10
http://marmot.com/pack_fit

http://www.kelty.com/kelty/articles.php?id=63&cat=3

Look at that and read the previous posts.

skinewmexico
10-26-2009, 19:15
If it's over 4' tall, 65#, and well behaved, it can sit in the front seat.

Jester2000
10-26-2009, 19:28
http://marmot.com/pack_fit

http://www.kelty.com/kelty/articles.php?id=63&cat=3

Look at that and read the previous posts.

Okay. Now what do I do?

mudhead
10-26-2009, 19:32
Praise yourself.

I try to be nice and add a picture for the verbally impaired. See what it gets me?

Jester2000
10-26-2009, 19:47
Praise yourself.

I try to be nice and add a picture for the verbally impaired. See what it gets me?

Haha! I don't think it's surprising to anyone that I'm confused. Good idea with the pictures, though. Here's one of someone being measured, but they're not doing the hands on the hips thing (possibly because they don't appear to have hands . . .):

http://www.ospreypacks.com/PackTech/SizingandFitting/

For people as easily confused as me: when looking at all of these drawings/pictures it's important to note that you don't need to be a skeleton or have your arms cut off to be properly measured for a pack.

But it is difficult to do by yourself.

mudhead
10-26-2009, 19:54
But it is difficult to do by yourself.

And it tickles.

Doooglas
10-27-2009, 01:36
Youtube Gregory packs. Gregory himself shows how to fit it.

lazy river road
10-27-2009, 09:34
doooglas thanks for the video link ill have to watch it at home after work. I read on WB that the pack you start off with isent the one you generally end up with....is this true for most people...Im purchasing the Gregory Baltoro 70....I know heavy loader but I want to carry most of my GF weight when we go hikeing and want to keep her pack weight down to about 20 or so......

Berserker
10-29-2009, 11:54
I've always followed the general advice that the hipbelt has to be centered on the illiac crest. That being said, in 7 years of backpacking that is not where any of the packs I have owned actually end up sitting. If I were to cinch the hipbelt down and center it in the illiac crest it hits me in a spot on my abdomen that causes a good bit of discomfort. So, usually the top portion of the hipbelt on a given pack sits over my illiac crest. Thus, I wear my packs a little low. I have found this to be the most comfortable spot for me.

So, I guess my point is that I would follow the general fit guideline, but then fine tune it to where it's comfortable for you.

Okie Dokie
10-29-2009, 13:17
...most serious gear stores keep some weight bags around so that you can load a pack in the store, walk around a bit, and see if it has any potential...if they don't take some weight bags with you - pea gravel in gallon ziplocs works pretty well...my experience leads me to believe that general rules for fitting a pack to a particular individual are helpful as a starting point, but end there...if a pack is right for you there's a good chance you'll know it when you put it on, assuming a basic adjustment of straps/belt... just as you would with a pair of shoes...a perfectly adjusted top-of-the-line pack might feel horrible if it's not the pack for you...

Don H
10-29-2009, 16:50
Everyone's going to tell you to go by your torso dimension, from C7 to the Iliac Crest and for many people this is correct, however for us fat guys this just doesn't work! Your hip belt will not stay over the I.C. if there's too much fat in the way and it can't get a purchase. In this situation the hip belt rides better if it rides between the I.C. and the head of the femur (greater trochanter), in other words just below the I.C. The means you might want to try a pack with a slightly longer torso dimension than you measure. Whatever you do be sure to load the pack with weight in the store and spend some time with it on your back before you buy it.

Rambler
10-29-2009, 19:01
Gregory actually suggests having the hip belt above or at the top of the hip bone (Iliac crest), not the middle. Loosen the straps, bend over, tighten the straps...etc

http://www.gregorypacks.com/technology/philosophy

Another good explanation of pack fitting is found at Granite Gear. Click on any of their packs and then click on the tab that says "Fitting".

If you consider frameless packs, if the pack is too big or long for your torso. It might ride too low over your butt. You can avoid this by cinching the shoulder straps up higher.