PDA

View Full Version : Does the hubba hubba need a ground sheet?

SOBO 2011
10-25-2009, 19:24
Just bought the tent and was woundering if anyone has used it and would suggest getting the ground sheet or not...

Thanks! ~

Blissful
10-25-2009, 19:40
It's optional. I prefer to use one myself. I use a sheet of Tyvek.

MintakaCat
10-25-2009, 20:00
I use the footprint for it, makes it easier to put up in the rain.

Cabin Fever
10-25-2009, 20:00
I have the footprint for the Hubba Hubba and like it. It's durable yet light. I got it as a package with the tent so I never had the chance to consider Tyvek. I especially like it for going flyweight - no tent, just fly and footprint. The grommets on the footprint fit on the ends of the poles so all told - the footprint, tent and fly all attached to the end of the poles, except for the vestibules of the fly.

Jack Tarlin
10-25-2009, 20:20
I would get something, either the "footprint" or as someone suggested, Tyvek or something similar.

It will keep your tent (and its contents) drier, and will also add years to the floor of your tent in terms of wear and tear, little rips or pokeholes, etc.

(And by the way, I own and use a Hubba Hubba!)

ChinMusic
10-25-2009, 20:56
If you go the Tyvek route. Make sure to cut it about 2 inches shorter than the base of your tent. You DO NOT want the Tyvek sticking out as that will pool water between your Tyvek and tent.

I only post this as I once made MY Tyvek 2 inches larger, when I was a rookie, and "paid the price". I just heard the "2 inch" part and didn't think it out.

Spokes
10-25-2009, 21:16
Yep, Tyvek is a good thing. I even use mine as a footprint for my air mattress in the shelter.

ChinMusic
10-25-2009, 21:20
Yep, Tyvek is a good thing. I even use mine as a footprint for my air mattress in the shelter.
LOL, yeah, either that or a good repair kit.

garlic08
10-26-2009, 10:50
Neither I nor any of several hiking partners carry a ground cloth for our flimsier silnylon shelters. If I had a coated nylon shelter, I certainly wouldn't carry one. Pay attention to where you set up, and if you can stay away from poorly drained or pounded dirt sites, and you don't need one.

I asked a manufacturer about this recently, and said he virtually never gets shelters back for floor repairs, and he did not recommend using a ground cloth.

Deadeye
10-26-2009, 14:37
I used a ground cloth under my tent for years, and I'm sure it extended the life of the floor, but the floor was still what eventually gave out and required me to replace the tent.

I no longer use a footprint, because I like to have a good reason to get new tents now and then. Since I usually hammock, I figure my Shires TarpTent will last a good long time.

ChinMusic
10-26-2009, 15:11
I asked a manufacturer about this recently, and said he virtually never gets shelters back for floor repairs, and he did not recommend using a ground cloth.
Frankly I doubt one would ever notice a pin hole in a floor, a tear yes. With a good site selection your floor could be perforated like crazy and still function just fine.

Lyle
10-26-2009, 15:48
As far as I'm concerned, simple common sense tells me that my tent floor will last longer and remain in better condition if I protect it from abrasion. Besides, it will stay much cleaner on a muddy site.

For gear that costs $200 to $300 dollars, even an extremely light piece of PolyCryo will help protect the investment.

nox
10-26-2009, 15:59
I agree with lyle. I watch where i am setting up to make sure there are no sharp rocks or twigs then lay the footprint down. If there is anything i missed it will have to tear the $25 footprint before it gets a chance to damage the $300 tent. Plus it makes wrap up nicer when you don't need to deal with mud or sand on the bottom. If you decide you don't want to use it down the road then you are only out a couple bucks instead of replacing a high dollar item.

wrongway_08
10-27-2009, 19:51
3 months on the thru hike and countless trips after the trail, never used one and it doesnt bother me. Has not hurt the tent either. Its just more weight and bulk to carry to me.

Mags
10-27-2009, 20:00
If you go get a groundcloth...don't bother getting the manufacturers one. They are heavy and expensive.

As other suggested (if you think you want one), grab some Tyvek cut down or even 3mm plastic painters drop cloth.

FWIW, I use one..but I don't have a tent. ;)

Tagless
10-27-2009, 21:16
In trying to reduce our thru hike pack weight, my wife and I decided not to carry the Tyvek footprint we had for our Tarptent Rainshadow 2. That was after Henry Shires mentioned during a phone call that very few Tarptents come back for floor repairs.

We used our shelter more than 140 nights without a groundcloth and never had a problem - not even a single pinhole. We did, of course, take care when we set up each night make sure our site was clear of anything that might cause damage.

Based on our experience, carrying a groundcloth doesn't seem necessary.