PDA

View Full Version : Platypus Hydration

Rhapsodist
10-25-2009, 20:07
I keep hearing more and more about Platypus water systems. Are they as great as they sound? i've never hiked with handsfree water but I'm thinking i'll enjoy it more. their gravity systems seem to be really fast. I need more information!

Tagless
10-25-2009, 20:26
My wife and I each used the 2L Big Zip Hands Free system on our AT thru hike this year. As the months went on, both began to slow leak in the zipper area. The wide mouth top is great for adding water, but I recommend staying away from this version of their line. I returned both Big Zips for repair or replacement two weeks ago, but haven't heard back yet.

The Platty bladders with a cap top should be fine. Overall, the hands free system is a great concept.

Manwich
10-25-2009, 20:37
My platy 3L hoser has made me a stronger hiker. 3-4 sips every few thousand feet keeps me goin all day and my piss clear.

Rhapsodist
10-29-2009, 23:05
I really like to hydrate and was thinking of the 3L. No problems with the quality or maintenance?

The Will
10-29-2009, 23:24
The Platys are much tougher than they appear. They can be boiled. They can withstand freezing. The caps are very secure (more than once I have used one as a hot water bottle in my sleeping bag on a cold night). I had two of them that lasted the duration of my thru-hike and beyond.

They're light and when not in use they role up and disappear. I often carry two of the 2.4 L Platys. Even if it is not used often I like having the second one there for those stretches where water is scarce.

snaplok
10-30-2009, 01:11
I use both the 1L and 2L to hike with, the liter goes in the the mesh pocket on the side of my pack and the 2L with the hose attachment in the pack. They've been boiled, frozen, rolled up, dropped, slept on and stepped on numerous times and after 2 years still going strong.

Jimmers
10-30-2009, 01:16
My experience is the same as Snaplok's, Platys are pretty tough. I've been using the same set of 1 and 2 L sizes for 10 years and never had a problem with them. I even fell squarely on top of my 2L one on Mt. Washingon and it didn't burst.

Lyle
10-30-2009, 01:39
I've used the 2.4 L with my hydration tube, and carry an extra 1 L for extra camp water. The hydration system works well, but two cautions.

1) I installed an on/off valve between the hose and the bite valve. Too many times when I would set my pack down, the valve would inadvertently end up underneath it and I'd leave a puddle of water. The on/off solves this.

2) Mice love to chew up the bite valve. Has only been an issue with Platy valves for me - two of them were destroyed by the mice. I now just keep the 1 L near me at night and leave the hydration system hanging in the pack. Haven't had a problem since starting this.

One other thing worth mentioning. I try to be a little careful not to constantly bend the plastic right at the corner where the screw-on cap is attached. I have seen them start to leak right at the edge of the hard plastic insert that contains the threads. This was after many, many miles of use, but it is possibly the weak point.

buz
10-30-2009, 09:47
I have used the 3l platy for canoe trips, backpacking trips, and like it. It has been plenty tough enough. I am careful when filling and screwing and unscrewing the top, always making sure I do it while supporting if full, and not jerking the top off, but in general it has been good. My 3L is also a shower, hanging it in a old potato bag, with a shower head nozzle. Man does that feel good when used. Can do full body soap and shower with 3l of water.

I am not too wild about platy bite valves, the seem to be finicky, and think adding a shut off would be smart.

Wonder
10-30-2009, 09:54
I love the plattys......I just buy new ones ever couple months to ensure strenght. I mean, at $6 a pop, I'd rather have a dry pack

garlic08
10-30-2009, 10:16
I've used the 2.4 L with my hydration tube, and carry an extra 1 L for extra camp water. The hydration system works well, but two cautions.

1) I installed an on/off valve between the hose and the bite valve. Too many times when I would set my pack down, the valve would inadvertently end up underneath it and I'd leave a puddle of water. The on/off solves this.

2) Mice love to chew up the bite valve. Has only been an issue with Platy valves for me - two of them were destroyed by the mice. I now just keep the 1 L near me at night and leave the hydration system hanging in the pack. Haven't had a problem since starting this.

One other thing worth mentioning. I try to be a little careful not to constantly bend the plastic right at the corner where the screw-on cap is attached. I have seen them start to leak right at the edge of the hard plastic insert that contains the threads. This was after many, many miles of use, but it is possibly the weak point.

This is pretty much my experience with hydration systems, and add to that pulling the bite valve off on a bush. These problems always seem to happen to me when I'm in dry country and cannot afford to loose water.

I admit I'm hard on gear, but I no longer use anything more complicated than a recycled soda bottle. If you want to add complexity, another failure mode, and cost to your gear, go ahead. Some people love these things.

CajunHiker
10-30-2009, 16:52
Speaking soda bottles, I use 2-liter bottle caps on my Platys when I don't have the hose on them.

Blissful
10-30-2009, 19:34
I like my playtpus very much (3liter) and they stand by their guarantee. I use the on/off switch that comes with the camelback for my set up - works good.
I also take a soda bottle to mix drinks.

Tagless
10-30-2009, 20:37
Just for the record, we received two new replacement 2 L. Big Zip Platypus bladders two days after my October 25 post. I can't complain about customer service - the company stood by their warranty.

TroutEhCuss
11-01-2009, 01:42
take a medicine bottle, drill a hole in it, and put on the hose, then put the bite valve on. with the lid on the medicine bottle you have a way to keep your bite valve clean.