PDA

View Full Version : Kimsey Creek Trail

MadHiker56
10-25-2009, 21:38
About how long does it take to hike from the back country info center to the top of Standing Indian via the Kimsey Creek Trail? What would be the shortest route? Would the Lower Ridge Trail take less time? MH56

veteran
10-25-2009, 21:59
The Lower Ridge Trail is the most direct route, Blue-blazed,4.2 miles.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7160&stc=1&d=1255356953

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7171&stc=1&d=1255701700

JTCruiser
10-25-2009, 22:00
I have gone up the KCT but not the Long Ridge Trail. However, I seem to recall reading here or on another site that the LRT is better for going down from Standing Indian Mtn. to the campground than it is for going up--my recollection is pretty sketchy, so check that part out with other sources. The Kimsey Creek Trail is easy hiking, about 3 miles from the backcountry lot to Deep Gap if you take the shortcut through the campground--however, if you take the shortcut, you will have to wade a creek deeper than boottops (at least that was the case this past Spring). Less than 2.5 miles from Deep Gap to the top of Standing Indian. At your age, probably won't take long at all. This hike is beautiful all times of year, probably primo right now--you've been planning this for a while, huh? Good luck.

JTCruiser
10-25-2009, 22:01
Edit--I meant the Lower Ridge Trail, not Long Ridge--sorry.

JTCruiser
10-25-2009, 22:12
Okay, I found the thread that references the Lower Ridge Trail (see link below). Note the comments by Summit and Ghosthiker.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52699&highlight=lower+ridge+trail

Marta
10-26-2009, 06:46
IMO, the Lower Ridge Trail is very boring. Just a walk along a ridgeline through the woods. No views. The Kimsey Creek Trail is a jewel. If you've got the time, it's worth the extra distance.

daddytwosticks
10-26-2009, 07:30
The Kimsey Creek Trail is a beautiful walk and always seems (to me) to take on a different personality at different times of the year. :)

slowandlow
10-26-2009, 16:42
The Lower Ridge Trail is by far the steeper of the two. While shorter than the Kimsey Creek trail, you may find it takes longer (timewise)to get up the Lower Ridge Trail.

bigmac_in
10-26-2009, 21:37
I'd throw my vote in for the Kimsey Creek Trail. It is a great Blue Blaze trail. Not knowing your hiking pace, it is hard to judge the time it will take. KCT is a very slight and easy uphill, and shouldn't take more than a couple hours, even with some stops to enjoy the scenery. From there I believe it's less than an hour to the top of Standing Indian Mountain.

MadHiker56
10-28-2009, 21:27
Thanks for all of the advice. The KCT it is. Ive got Ron Havens' map and we're ready to hit the trail. Thanks again.

Ron Haven
10-28-2009, 21:38
Thanks for all of the advice. The KCT it is. Ive got Ron Havens' map and we're ready to hit the trail. Thanks again.you will enjoy it.I love the Kimsey Creek Trail.

take-a-knee
10-28-2009, 23:30
Does anyone know if the Kimsey Creek Trail used to be part of the AT thirty or so years ago?

pjbarr
10-29-2009, 00:37
Does anyone know if the Kimsey Creek Trail used to be part of the AT thirty or so years ago?

No, it certainly was never part of the AT. Data books back to the 1930s confirm this, as the AT has always followed the Nantahala Basin rim counterclockwise from Standing Indian in a horseshoe shape to Albert Mountain and then resumes going north.

The Kimsey Creek Trail is a very popular yellow-blaze to cut off the Nantahala rim and save a handful of miles. Hikers usually walk the road up from Standing Indian Campground and resume the AT at Rock Gap (if headed nobo). KCT is beautiful, but they're missing out on Standing Indian Mountain and the lookout tower at Albert Mountain (along with its rock climb-like ascent) - all great features of that stretch of trail and highlights of the Nantahalas.