PDA

View Full Version : OMG NEW GEAR FOR 2005 Outdoor Retailer Market 2004

fullofadventure
08-14-2004, 02:30
WOW I just checked out backpackinglight.com and they have news from the Outdoor Retailer Winter Market 2004. OMG. Stop!!!! Don’t buy anything yet, wait and check out what is just around the corner. There is new crazy gear coming out. I am so light headed right now. Absolutely amazing stuff coming soon to a gear store near you.

They talk about the 2 new MSR stoves. The capillary one with complete system will be less than 18 oz’s. The other is a canister stove with integrated heat exchanger and windscreen. Cool stuff but not both not available until mid and late next year. Cool looking stuff though.

In the rain jacket department there is a new redesigned Patagonia Spectra made from a lighter 1.9oz/yd ripstop nylon, which brings the weight down to 6.6oz’s. It is now the lightest rain jacket on the market. They also claim it is more breathable than eVENT and GTX XCR. Strange how the did not mention PacLite.

Integral Designs does it again. They now have the lightest eVENT rain jacket beating out Montane by 5.5oz. Their new jacket will weight in at 9.5oz’s. Can you say sweet? It looks like it has waterproof zippers and one chest pocket but no pit zips. They are totally relying on the eVENT fabric to vent moisture. It has a non-adjustable elastic hood, which they say is surprisingly good.

Outdoor Research has two new GTX jackets out. One called the Zealot, which is a truly minimalist jacket with no pit zips and is now the lightest Gore-Tex based jacket at 7.7oz’s. Second it their Celestial jacket made from PacLite weighing in at 10.2 oz’s. It has two chest pockets and TorsoFlo side zips for ventilation.

Also there is a hoodless Tyvek rain jacket that weights less than 3 oz’s. Not that breathable but cheap and effective. Zero features on this one, as you would expect. Jackets can be ordered by e-mailing the company directly at [email protected]. Tell ‘em you saw it at BackpackingLight.com!

Marmot has a full zip jacket with elastic cuffs, drawcord hem, drawcord hood aperture and small chest pocket that is 8.6oz’s.

In the tent department Big Agnes has something very different.

Big Agnes’s Sarvis are slightly larger and more livable than the Seedhouse SL tents in both 1+ and 2+ person versions.

The tents use the same pole design and body fabrics as the Seedhouse SL but to save weight they made, the rear half the tent single walled. This saves weight. The tents maintain most of the breathability of a double walled tent but save weight being half single wall too.

Backpackinglight.com said they really liked the ability to roll back the front rain fly portion of the tent for excellent stargazing and ventilation in fair weather and we’re also excited about the option Big Agnes offers of selecting eVENT panels in the rear single-walled portion of the tent to improve breathability (the Sarvis tents come in standard and eVENT-paneled versions).

Sarvis Super Light 1+: Trail wt 2 lb 10 oz, 25.5 sq ft tent, 5 sq ft vestibule, 38 in head height

Sarvis Super Light 2+: Trail wt 3 lb 14 oz, 32.5 sq ft tent, 6 sq ft vestibule. The SL 2+ also has a higher head height, 46 in vs. the 38 in of the Seedhouse 2.

In the backpack section if you like the Dana Designs Racer X or Moonbows Gear Skin well then hold on to you horses. The Wookey Dragonfly UL Pack Skin just might be what you a looking for. At 1 lb 3 oz for the pack skin and 3.0 ounces for removable hip and shoulder padding it sounds promising. You can wrap the skin around a any large stuff sack or use the included 3,800+ cubic inch capacity dry bag to achieve a manageable compressed volume as low as 1,200 cubic inches.

I just want to say that this is why I like my subscription to backpackinglight.com and have to give them full credit for all this info. I just wish I could post all these pics because some of this stuff is very cool looking.

Connie
08-14-2004, 20:29
Hey ! you left out some more great stuff announced:

GoLite Hut Floorless Shelter
The most exciting new shelter is targeted squarely at the ultralight minimalist wanting a full-coverage, single-wall, floorless shelter. The resulting Hut 1 (solo) and Hut 2 (2-person) shelters weigh 15 and 18 oz, respectively.

The main competition for the GoLite Hut will be the Integral Designs Silshelter (14 oz) and the Gossamer Gear Spinnshelter (8.5 oz). We expect that the Hut will be the most weather-worthy of the three and best suited for the stormiest, windiest conditions. It includes a zippered vestibule door and storm flap, and offers a variety of flexible pitching options to increase headroom and floor level ventilation.

Insul-Mat Uber-Lite sleeping mat:

The lightest self inflating pad on the market, the Insul-Mat Uber-Lite pad weighs 8 oz. It puts the cushion where you need it most: shoulders and hips, and carves insulation out of the waist area. The found was surprisingly comfortable and supportive when we lay down on it, but managing movement will be a trick for some: you have to pay attention to where you’re rolling and leg-tucking. In addition, the pad may not be the best choice for those also in need of more secure virtual packframe support in a frameless pack. But for the ultralight backpacker that’s not into the marriage of hip and collarbones with Mother Earth, this may be your ticket.

And for the hardcore, the Uber-Micro: The same shaped pad is available in EVA and PE dual density foam version for only 3 oz.

and more lightweight packs:

Osprey launches the new Atmos series pack line with AirSpeed suspension, a mesh panel supported by a spring loaded aluminum hoop frame (3 oz). The suspended mesh back is comfortable and breathable. You can even tuck a hydration bladder between the suspended mesh and the back of the pack body. There are three pack in this series 25, 35 and 50 liters.

Osprey Atmos 35 and 25: 35 liters, 2 lb 5 oz, 25 liters 1 lb 15 oz. Both packs are almost identical in features and construction. They are panel loaders with solid stretch zippered rear pocket, stretch side pockets, mesh pockets on the hipbelt, and hydration bladders. The 35 is billed for weekend adventure racing and ultralight backpacking. The 25 is billed for one day adventure racing and trail running. We would add peak bagging and a possible overnight to this pack’s possibilities. There is also a 50 liter version of this pack with a top lid that weighs 2 lb 13 oz.

Marmot Vapor 30 (pictured), 35 and 45: 30 liters, 2 lb 8 oz – 35 liters, 3 lb oz – 45 liters, 3 lb 6 oz. The Vapor 30 is a durable panel loading entry from Marmot. It has a well ventilated backpanel, hollow aluminum stays, two rear zip pockets, water bottle pockets. Day hiking, peak bagging, ski touring, overnight trips. A bit heaver than some but a solid frame and full sized, well padded suspension will probably handle anything you can fit in it. The 35 and 45 are top loaders with a removable lid.

Lowe Alpine Walkabout 35 Hyperlite: 35 liters, 2 lb 9.5 oz. A clean pack with integrated side pockets and at top lid. A top seller in Europe.

Lowe Alpine Attack 30 Hyperlite: 30 liters, 1 lb 7 oz. A very light pack perfect for peak bagging and adventurous day hiking and equally suited for fastpacking and overnight backpacking.

Black Diamond Speed: 30 liters, 1lb 15 oz. A light pack with a top lid. ¾ length bivy pad and a single stay. Very durable fabric.

Most of these packs are at the manufacturer's websites, right now.

The descriptions are also from the BackpackingLight.com "online magazine".

I didn't subscribe over at the BackpackingLight.com online magazine, for awhile. Now, I am glad I did. I was nearly ready to "pop" for a shelter, and now, I will wait just a little more longer. I was "put off" by the "subscription" aspect, at first. Then, I realized it is an "online magazine". No matter what, the subscription, in my opinion, is well worthwhile.

Connie