PDA

View Full Version : Hiking half the AT - Advice

jnanagardener
10-26-2009, 20:32
My wife and I are high school teachers at the same school. Even though a thru-hike is out due to the limited time of our summer break, we've been talking about doing half. Two questions: is two months (week one of June to week one of August) enough time to complete half? Which half? I appreciate the depth and quality of responses on WB. Thanks in advance for your advice!

Lyle
10-26-2009, 20:38
Yes, if you are in reasonable shape. Either half, take your pick.

My personal choice would be to start at Springer and hike to HF, then next year Pick up at HF (you will be with a bunch of that year's thru hikers) and finish on Katadin.

For a more leisurely trip, you could split it into three and really take your time.

You have all kinds of options tho.

The Solemates
10-26-2009, 20:43
while it is enough time, the average time to hike the trail is more along the lines of 6 months, not four. like lyle said, i'd say hiking it during 3 summers, rather than 2, may be more enjoyable.

max patch
10-26-2009, 20:46
Probably not; at least for most hikers.

Most hikers take between 5 and 6 months to complete a thru. And you'll have to get into hiker shape twice.

Hike 2 months and don't worry about how far you'll get. I'd kinda plan on 3 summers. Maybe even a small part of the 4th.

CrumbSnatcher
10-26-2009, 20:46
2 months IMO i think you'll cover 33-40% of the trail. my choice would be springer to where ever you make it to. most thruhikers choose N.H. or maine as thier favorite sections. i like the south much better, anything between springer and SNP for me. have a great hike

Lyle
10-26-2009, 20:50
I just re-read the OP. Guess they weren't necessarily planning a multi-year hike. They were just asking which half would be best if they only do half. Guess I just assume once they do half, they won't be able to quit there. :D

If just wanting a one-year plan, it would depend on your objectives. I think my choice would be the northern half for these reasons:

You will see the more spectacular scenery (no offense intended).

You will end at Katadin

You will have the opportunity to hike with many thru-hikers, and thus experience the AT's unique social element.

Pacific Tortuga
10-26-2009, 20:50
It does not really matter. Go for it, hike as long as your enjoying it. You'll have the time of your lives and will be planning the 2nd half along the Trail.

Thanks in general for giving of your self/lives to teach, it is a gift.

jnanagardener
10-26-2009, 21:00
Thanks again! Awesome advice; lots to consider. Much appreciated.

Ox97GaMe
10-26-2009, 21:22
If you are interested in getting as many miles completed during your 2 month journey, then I would suggest starting at Harpers Ferry and hikin North from there.

a) You will be just in front of the main pack of hikers at that time and they will likely catch you in PA or NJ.

b) the terrain is a bit easier than in GA or ME for a starting point. You will be able to get started with 12-15 mile days rather than the 8-10 most hikers are experiencing in GA or ME also.

c) Easy access to the trail. You can get to Harpers from DC by train, bus, or car. Getting from Florida to Harpers should be fairly easy from a logistics perspective. Not necessarily the case for other places to start.

Have a great trip.

Cookerhiker
10-26-2009, 21:41
I'd recommend 3 summers. I'm not second guessing your conditioning - physical nor mental - but I suspect you'll enjoy the hike more if you don't put undue pressure on yourselves.

Break it up this way:

Year 1 - Springer to Daleville, VA - 717 miles
Year 2 - Daleville to North Adams, MA - 863 miles - as Ox97GaMe said, the middle of the AT is easier so you can make better mileage and allow enough time for New England in your third year
Year 3 - North Adams to Katahdin - 596 miles - less miles but NH and ME are the toughest parts of the Trail.

And it goes without saying that if you make better time in Years 1 & 2, keep going as long as you can. Happy Hiking!

fredmugs
10-27-2009, 08:28
If you know you cannot do it in 2 summers DO NOT start at Harpers Ferry. If you do it will take you 4 summers because you won't make it to either end. Based on the small parts of Maine I have hiked and what I've heard about N.H. I would start at Springer and keep working north but trying to get as much as you can done in those first 2 years because it's a lot slower going at the end heading north.

ki0eh
10-27-2009, 08:51
I'm surprised no one's mentioned skipping the middle half in high summer.

Cookerhiker
10-27-2009, 09:51
I'm surprised no one's mentioned skipping the middle half in high summer.

Given that he wants to hike the entire AT and the only window he has is early June to early August, there's no way he can avoid the low elevation, heat, humidity, and mosquitos of the mid-Atlantic.

DavidNH
10-27-2009, 10:04
Virginia alone typically takes a month. Springer to Damascus another month at least.

Why not have the goal of going from Springer to Harper's Ferry. If you run out of time you cold always get off sooner. I have trouble seeing how you would do a full half of he AT in just two months unless you really speed hike it. You are on your summer break. You should relax and enjoy yourself.

DavidNH

lazy river road
10-27-2009, 10:09
Brandt im a teacher as well and isent it a great life...HS special ed for me what about you?....Im takeing this summer to hike too but I have another suggestion for you and your wife if your interested. The Long Trail. This is a 270 mi hike through VT. Im hikeing it over 31 days this summer...leaving the week after school gets out and getting back the week before school. I dont know if you and your wife are set on doing half the AT but instead of half the AT you could do the whole LT plus a little of the AT in the South (VT into MA). This allows plenty of hikeing time as well as some relaxing times in the town. Just another suggestion.....enjoy the hike and have a great school year.

Slo-go'en
10-27-2009, 10:33
Allowing for a couple of days on each end for transportation to and from the trail and a few zero's, you will have about 50 days of hiking available. Assume 15 miles a day for an overall average and you can cover about 750 miles. Therefore, the way Cookerhiker broke up the trip seems reasonable.

Seeing that your from Florida, you might not mind the summer heat on the southern and central parts of the trail. If you can only do one hike and not three, I'd vote for coming up to New England, though the southern 1/3 might not be too bad. No reason to do the central part of the trail unless you want to say you did the whole thing.

bigcranky
10-27-2009, 12:24
If it were me, I would start at Katahdin and hike southbound as far as I could in the 2 months available.

Rationale: This is the "no worries" plan. If I were to start in, say, Connecticut, and try to make Katahdin, I would feel pushed the entire time to make miles. Make miles. Hurry up! We have to Make Miles. (My wife loves it when I get into Make Miles mode. Not.)

By starting at Katahdin, you'll get to enjoy the New England summer without having to be anywhere in particular by the end of the 2-month period. You end wherever you end, simple as that. This frees you from having to Make Miles.

Disadvantages: June is not the best time to hike in Maine -- bugs can be an issue. You'll have to contend with the Hundred Mile Wilderness right off the bat, which is a long section without easy resupply.

Good luck and have fun.