PDA

View Full Version : Backpackers Sought in Australia

Brushy Sage
08-14-2004, 19:39
Interesting article on recognition by Australian government that backpackers make valuable contributions to the economy. I haven't seen any such recognition by federal or state governments in the US.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/08/14/1092340534697.html?oneclick=true#top

MedicineMan
08-14-2004, 23:37
we found the same good will in NZ last year, backpackers are well thought of there and the sport (bad term I know) is promoted throughout the s. island with every community possessing a trail that was quite beautiful-this other than the Great Tracks which are promoted internationally....
when we came around a corner and saw a 'hut' we were shocked...the hut was as big as a 2 story American home, complete with gas piped in for your cookset and filtered water, the bunks all had vinyl covered mattres, and each hut had a wood stove, separate eating and sleeping areas and sometimes a room for conference. A typical hut on a Great Track in NZ would easily accomodate 40 folks......
The trails themselves are treated as national treasures and you can tell the government spends much money maintaining them, BUT in the busy seasons there is a registry system where you book space in the huts...we chose the fringe season (September) and had every hut almost to ourselves (though in Abel Tasman on the sea kayaking leg of our trip we did find 10 other hiker/paddlers in one hut)....
One word of warning if going to NZ (dont know about Austr.), def. declare your hiking boots, they will clean them for you before you enter the country....if you dont and they find them (and they will find them) it is big dough and possible denial of entry.
We did NZ without having seen any of the Ring movies and afterwards were showing pics to friends/coworkers who would say 'that's in the movie'.......

Coolabah
08-15-2004, 00:10
Actually I think that this article is referring to young travellers from overseas who tend to travel around Australia with all their possesions in a back pack but don't "backpack" ! i.e they stay in youth hostels in cities, get a job in a bar for 3 months then buy an old car or catch a bus to somewhere else in Australia. They might walk from the youth hostel to the bus station but that may be it. (Just tourists with backpacks really).

MedicineMan
08-15-2004, 00:21
maybe i should read the article eh?

Tha Wookie
08-15-2004, 03:04
Actually I think that this article is referring to young travellers from overseas who tend to travel around Australia with all their possesions in a back pack but don't "backpack" ! i.e they stay in youth hostels in cities, get a job in a bar for 3 months then buy an old car or catch a bus to somewhere else in Australia. They might walk from the youth hostel to the bus station but that may be it. (Just tourists with backpacks really).

Good point. Often in America we take for granted our unparalleled opportunities to go into the real backcountry and stay there for a while without depending on our wallets. Hopefully it stays that way. Some things are simply more inportant than the economy (yep, that's what I said).

MadAussieInLondon
08-16-2004, 08:46
backpacking, as refered to in the article is just travellers.

what we term backpacking down here is people who come to the country, travel around (bus/train/wahtever) and see the sites and stay in youth hostels.

the backpacking you refer to, we term bushwalking or hiking.