PDA

View Full Version : Frogg Toggs..

eagled
10-27-2009, 01:05
:sunDoes anyone have any good or bad experiences with Frogg Toggs rainwear?:-?

http://www.froggtoggsraingear.com/Hiking.shtm

I am getting ready for a long section hike on the AT this spring.

Thanks,
Michael:sun

Lyle
10-27-2009, 02:01
Very good.

If you want waterproof/breathable, these are about as good as they get. Have to be a little careful with them, but they are fairly durable. Breath about as good as anything. Not the lightest or most compact, but very effective.

Spokes
10-27-2009, 03:15
Lyle makes a good point of having to "be a little careful" with them. Most hikers complain of shoulder straps shredding the material.

superman
10-27-2009, 07:28
On my thru in 2000 the frogg togg bottoms exposed my bottom (and more) when I bent down doing my laundry on a town stop. The seam had let loose from front to back. When the top got old and pilly I was standing by a camp fire when a spark shot out and hit the top, left side of my chest. The frogg togg instantly ignited. It was a great opportunity for my fellow hikers to beat me about my chest. It had burned a six inch circle of the frogg togg before it could be put out. I had a burn blister about the size of a half dollar. I consider myself lucky.

warraghiyagey
10-27-2009, 07:58
I saw frog togs for the first time this summer, twice. . . both times they were torn to shreds, look about as durable as paper towels. . . I can't believe they are still selling them. . .

sheepdog
10-27-2009, 08:30
Lyle makes a good point of having to "be a little careful" with them. Most hikers complain of shoulder straps shredding the material.
that's what happened to mine

Big Dawg
10-27-2009, 09:05
Definitely love mine! Make sure to get frogg toggs, & not a knock-off like dri ducks which are lighter & more prone to rip. My toggs hold up well. I treat them well, like other relatively light gear I own. I've known thru hikers to have similar experience. I've also heard of thru's having problems w/ them. I'd use them if I were thru'ing.

10-K
10-27-2009, 09:31
Definitely love mine! Make sure to get frogg toggs, & not a knock-off like dri ducks which are lighter & more prone to rip. My toggs hold up well. I treat them well, like other relatively light gear I own. I've known thru hikers to have similar experience. I've also heard of thru's having problems w/ them. I'd use them if I were thru'ing.

Probably true, but I always carry Dri-Ducks and have no complaints. I haven't walked in the rain for days in them so I can't say about long term durability but for the random day or two of rain they work fine.

DavidNH
10-27-2009, 10:08
Frogg toggs are cheap. I got a pair (jacket and pants) for 60 buck for my '06 thru.

1) the pants have no zipper on bottom of leg meaning I would have needed to remove boots to take pants on or off. I left pants home and brought G Tex full zip pants instead.

2) Frogg toggs are perhaps the lightest rain gear out there. Trouble is, mine got soaked through in any prolonged rain. Also, they seem to wear pretty quickly,

I have never found any material completely waterproof AND breathable. Still, I would not wear Frogg Toggs again. I got as wet as if I wore a cotton shirt. Plus, they seemed to hold the water in the fabric.

David

Lyle
10-27-2009, 10:55
Guess it all depends on how you use your gear. I only occasionally wear the bottoms. I'm fairly careful when I wear the tops. I don't baby them, but I don't throw them around or do a lot of bushwhacking.

I used a cheap, medical supply, disposable suit for three or four years (same type of material), even using them for some trail work besides several 2-3 week trips per year and multiple weekend trips. They are still in very good condition, perfectly serviceable. I have just gone to lighter silnylon jacket and rainwrap for the last few trips. I have not had any wear issues with the shoulders. I paid $29 for the set, unfortunately they are no longer available. These are the same technology as the FroggToggs, but not made by them. Mine are actually similar in weight and feel to DriDucks. Of all the supposedly breathable fabrics I've tried, these worked the best in my opinion.

I'm generally pretty easy on my gear, and my personal experience isn't with the FroggTogg brand, so maybe my opinion won't be as valid.

One thing to remember, you can purchase 2 or 3 sets of these for the price of one more conventional rain jacket, so if you do have problems with wear, just replace them.

I would still give the advice to give them a try. If you don't like them, you aren't out a great deal, if you do, you saved yourself a bunch.

Good Luck and HAVE FUN!!!

CowHead
10-27-2009, 13:33
I'm wearing the jacket part today in Maryland very light and keeps you dry..