PDA

View Full Version : Common gels and nutritional values, Updated

John B
10-27-2009, 13:55
Many runners who are out for over an hour will carry some type of energy or nutritional supplement. There are many brands available, so which one gives the biggest bang for the weight or offers something that meets what you need to keep going?

I bought/tried each of the gels and made a little chart to show the differences. I'll add to the chart as I come across different brands. But for now, here are the results.

Updated to say that there are usually many different flavors available, but to me all tend to taste about the same -- sickly sweet. Also, while I've tried it and it didn't bother me, others in my running group advise to a bit extra water after using the Crank gel -- it can be hard on the stomach.

Manwich
10-27-2009, 14:35
Stinger Honey (Chocolate Flavor)
Calories: 120
Total Carb: 29g
Sugars: 29g
Sodium: 50mg
Potassium: 105mg
Calcium: Not Listed
Vitiman B: 25% DV
Vitamin C: Not listed
Total Fat: 0g
Sat: 0
Protein: 0g
Caffeine: Not Listed
Package Weight: 1.3oz

Dirty Harry
11-10-2009, 20:01
I like Hammer Gels. The new or kinda new Roktane by GU is inreresting, but I try stay away from any gels with Caffeine.

Wise Old Owl
11-10-2009, 21:45
I am a novice at gels (I don't use them) - have any hikers really felt better from using these products?

Manwich
11-10-2009, 21:56
I am a novice at gels (I don't use them) - have any hikers really felt better from using these products?

I find I'll sugar-crash from any of them, so I'll only use them on the last push of the day. It isn't exactly a second-wind, but it's appreciable.

Mags
11-10-2009, 21:57

Not so much for hiking, but I have found them valuable for trail running. It is hard to process food even running a relatively slow 5MPH. The body can't digest food AND run efficiently at the same time. (All that blood going to the stomach after a hearty meal rather than the legs....).

Even in hiking, think of how you feel after sitting down to eat a big sandwich, a piece of fruit and a granola bar. It is why people on the move all day graze all day rather than sit down to a really big lunch (unless the break is longish).

SO, when running, some quick to process goo shots or similar are golden. Back in my (brief) ultra days, a shot every twenty minutes is a balance between easy processing and energy.

Of course, after 22 hrs of goo shots and Gatorade-type drinks, the stomach feels awful. :o

I'm starting to get the itch to get back into long distance trail running. Hmm....:-?

Phreak
11-10-2009, 22:17
Yes. I use them during all of my speed hikes and ultraruns.

Wise Old Owl
11-10-2009, 23:35
Good to know thank you for all your input!

white_russian
11-11-2009, 11:15
The one time I tried them it burst in my pocket after I sat down for a break. Made a big sticky mess. I don't do packets with liquids/gels after that. I will get my sugar from traditional sources like Snickers.

docllamacoy
11-17-2009, 11:31
I don't use gels or anything like that yet. For a long run, I'll have coconut water in one of my bottles, and I'll do a shot of ginseng just before a race. I'm still trying to think of other alternatives to the goo and gels that are more natural. I don't like to eat what's in most of them. Any suggestions on a more natural front?

jesse
11-17-2009, 13:06
I walk on the Kennesaw Mountain trails a lot, and am constantly picking up the empty wrappers from these energy gels. Don't know which is better, but please don't throw the wrappers on the ground.

Dirty Harry
11-18-2009, 11:49
Well stingers, and you should check out Vespa- all Naturale'

ShelterLeopard
11-18-2009, 14:43
Even in hiking, think of how you feel after sitting down to eat a big sandwich, a piece of fruit and a granola bar.

I feel great! If I feel exhausted, I'll either mix some of one of those energy shots (like Mana) into my water, or I'll take a break and maybe eat and have some coffee.

Mags
11-19-2009, 00:04
I feel great! If I feel exhausted, I'll either mix some of one of those energy shots (like Mana) into my water, or I'll take a break and maybe eat and have some coffee.

And what happens when you try to gain 3000' vertical right after eating said big lunch? ;)

(Remember, I specifically said unless you have a long break first after eating the big meal)

garlic08
11-19-2009, 11:09
I don't use gels or anything like that yet. For a long run, I'll have coconut water in one of my bottles, and I'll do a shot of ginseng just before a race. I'm still trying to think of other alternatives to the goo and gels that are more natural. I don't like to eat what's in most of them. Any suggestions on a more natural front?

A handful of raisins works for me when I'm hiking. I'm not a runner, though.

ShelterLeopard
11-19-2009, 11:22
And what happens when you try to gain 3000' vertical right after eating said big lunch? ;)

(Remember, I specifically said unless you have a long break first after eating the big meal)

Didn't see that part- the siesta has got my vote!!! http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sleep004.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

docllamacoy
11-20-2009, 10:16
Well stingers, and you should check out Vespa- all Naturale'

Thanks! Actually came across the Stinger the other day. I like those. Will also check out the Vespa.

scope
11-20-2009, 10:32
Clif Mocha with caffeine rocks when I need a little pick me up. I'm a Coke drinker in my cube at work, and when I get out on the trail, I find my body craves a little 'pick-me-up' from time to time. I get out so little that the additional cost of these things isn't that bad and they are uber convenient to stash in my hip belt pockets.

Gels are great for long tennis matches and at halftime in soccer matches. I don't like have much in my stomach before I play, so I don't eat a lot beforehand and I end up needing something for a kick of energy. Anything else that you have to actually "eat" takes too long and requires more water with it.

I'll second the Hammer gels as my favorite overall brand - love the apple flavor.

tech30528
11-20-2009, 12:00
I'm a fan of the tangerine PowerGels. They are caffienated, and pack a pretty good punch. We refer to them as nitrous shots. I first started using these back in my bicycle time trials and found them extremely effective. I like the ClifShots, to. CarbBoom apple is pretty good, none of them give me a sugar crash.