PDA

View Full Version : One Year Triple Crown

MurphysLwa
10-27-2009, 18:49
Been looking into those that have hiked the triple crown in one year and can't seem to find any definitive answers. The only statistic I have found online states that only two have completed a triple crown in one calendar year. Accurate? Anyone have any other stats?

I am very seriously contemplating an attempt at this (not for a couple of years) and am curious what would be the best plan of attack. I've completed the AT and would love to triple crown; I would love it even more if I could do it in a year...

Jack Tarlin
10-27-2009, 18:55
Good luck.

Just so you know, the people that I've met who either accomplished this or attempted it are on record as saying they didn't particularly enjoy the experience.

Mags
10-27-2009, 18:57
Squeaky
http://www.fluctu8.com/podcast-episode/matt-hazley-squeaky-triple-crown-part-1-9517-9154.html

Flying Brian'
http://royrobinson.homestead.com/Triple_Crown.html

Trauma
http://www.justinlichter.com/
(HE actually did Key West to Gaspe' (which took in the FT, AT, IAT god-knows-what-else in addition to the PCT and CDT).

Squeaky is kinda busy with a new bambino.
Brian Robinson is into ultras now-a-days and may be hard to get a hold of.
Trauma has answered many questions for other people.

There may be more..that's all I can think of currently.

Skidsteer
10-27-2009, 19:00
Talk to Squeaky(Squeaky2 is his username). He's a member here so you could PM him.

MurphysLwa
10-27-2009, 19:00
Thanks very much for those links Mags!

Dogwood
10-27-2009, 19:20
I've also heard the same as Jack Tarlin. The two that did this that I've spoken to went back and forth from one trail to another trail(mostly because of weather concerns on some high elev. sections) so they could fit it all in in 1 yr. None seemed to want to try it again.

Best plan of attack? Good luck!

May, I ask WHY?

Wrangler88
10-27-2009, 19:37
I can't imagine doing all three in one year. I mean, it's one thing to go balls to the wall for three to four months to get one trail done, but I couldn't imagine doing it for a year.

These guys are intense.

MurphysLwa
10-27-2009, 19:41
"May, I ask WHY?"

Mostly because I love the idea of a great challenge that involves what I love: hiking. So, why not? I have a pretty quick natural pace and the idea of this is rather enticing.

Lone Wolf
10-27-2009, 19:41
The two that did this that I've spoken to went back and forth from one trail to another trail(mostly because of weather concerns on some high elev. sections) so they could fit it all in in 1 yr. None seemed to want to try it again.

May, I ask WHY?

i know many folks that did an AT thru-hike and never want to do it again. a lot force themselves just to finish

MurphysLwa
10-27-2009, 19:42
And yeah, I am pretty certain that if I attempt and/or complete it, I would certainly never want to try it again. But then again, all that means is there is more room and time for other adventures.

Lone Wolf
10-27-2009, 19:42
"May, I ask WHY?"

Mostly because I love the idea of a great challenge that involves what I love: hiking. So, why not? I have a pretty quick natural pace and the idea of this is rather enticing.
give it hell! :)

ERNMAN
10-27-2009, 19:56
If anybody could do it in a yr...It would be you Blue.

MurphysLwa
10-27-2009, 19:58
haha thanks ernie

warraghiyagey
10-27-2009, 20:11
I tried the triple crown one year. . . kept getting dirt in my eyes and kicked by the other horses. . .

saimyoji
10-27-2009, 20:18
I tried the triple crown one year. . . kept getting dirt in my eyes and kicked by the other horses. . .

it helps if you get on the horse first....:rolleyes:

warraghiyagey
10-27-2009, 20:20
OHhhhh. . . I thought all those other guys were cheating. . . I'm a purist. . . ;)

sheepdog
10-27-2009, 20:21
or on the horse in first (place that is)

Dogwood
10-27-2009, 20:46
As terrible as that was warraghiyagey I'm still LOL. Damn that's a long and complicated trailname to type! What does that name mean? How did you get it?

warraghiyagey
10-27-2009, 20:49
As terrible as that was warraghiyagey I'm still LOL. Damn that's a long and complicated trailname to type! What does that name mean? How did you get it?
It's an Iroquois name I borrowed from a historic character in the Mohawk valley . . . one who will do great things. . . hopefully

Dogwood
10-27-2009, 20:55
Are you serious or am I getting snowed?

warraghiyagey
10-27-2009, 21:02
Serious. . . you can look it up. . . Sir William Johnson = Warraghiyagey. . . normally you'd be getting snowed, not this time though. . .

warraghiyagey
10-27-2009, 21:03
There's a 14,000+ post thread all about it here. . . :)

:p

johnnybgood
10-27-2009, 21:12
There's a 14,000+ post thread all about it here. . . :)

:p
....Where he stopped making sense long ago.:p

jrwiesz
10-28-2009, 02:32
I've done the Triple Crown in one year several times in the past.
Most likely will do it again. Never regretted it what-so-ever.

Seagrams 7, Seagrams VO, Seagrams Crown Royale. :D
Just sayin'.

Marta
10-28-2009, 07:46
Been looking into those that have hiked the triple crown in one year and can't seem to find any definitive answers. The only statistic I have found online states that only two have completed a triple crown in one calendar year. Accurate? Anyone have any other stats?

I am very seriously contemplating an attempt at this (not for a couple of years) and am curious what would be the best plan of attack. I've completed the AT and would love to triple crown; I would love it even more if I could do it in a year...

Something from a talk Jennifer Pharr gave might apply here. (Sorry, but I don't know anything about your hiking background. I'm not trying to insult you.) She said that when she floated the idea of going for an AT speed record to Warren Doyle, he recommended she try a shorter trail first, to see how the genre suited her. (At that point she had already done normal, though quicker than average, hikes of the AT and PCT.) She speed-hiked the Long Trail, decided she liked it, and went for the women's AT speed record.

sheepdog
10-28-2009, 09:24
I've done the Triple Crown in one year several times in the past.
Most likely will do it again. Never regretted it what-so-ever.

Seagrams 7, Seagrams VO, Seagrams Crown Royale. :D
Just sayin'.
Not even in the morning with a queasy stomach and a pounding head?:D

garlic08
10-28-2009, 10:36
I can't imagine doing all three in one year. I mean, it's one thing to go balls to the wall for three to four months to get one trail done, but I couldn't imagine doing it for a year.

These guys are intense.

I totally agree, but stop and think of what 99.9999% of the population thinks of AT thru hikers. I bet it's something like, "Those guys are intense." It's pretty funny that among the AT thru hikers, there is yet another subset of the "very intense". And I bet among them, there is even someone considered "very intense".

I just think it's funny that a group of people who have accomplished something that most folks would never dream of don't understand why someone would want to try something that most folks would never dream of.

Pedaling Fool
10-28-2009, 12:03
I totally agree, but stop and think of what 99.9999% of the population thinks of AT thru hikers. I bet it's something like, "Those guys are intense." It's pretty funny that among the AT thru hikers, there is yet another subset of the "very intense". And I bet among them, there is even someone considered "very intense".

I just think it's funny that a group of people who have accomplished something that most folks would never dream of don't understand why someone would want to try something that most folks would never dream of.
Very good and valid point.

lazy river road
10-28-2009, 12:40
Garlic well said...my friends, fam and GF think im crazy and I only want to E2E the LT this summer....Good luck on your tripple crown...id love to hear more about your trip as you plan it and if you plan on keeping trail journals id be very interested in reading them...does any one know of any tripple crown trail journals...

Dirty Harry
11-06-2009, 00:52
Hey Murphy where are you located in Chicago?

Squeaky 2
12-18-2009, 19:02
I've also heard the same as Jack Tarlin. The two that did this that I've spoken to went back and forth from one trail to another trail(mostly because of weather concerns on some high elev. sections) so they could fit it all in in 1 yr. None seemed to want to try it again.

Best plan of attack? Good luck!

May, I ask WHY?

sorry but i have to put you straight here on this one dogwood. flying brian jumped back and forth due to weather concerns. when i did my trip i did not,thru hiking each trail and meeting record weather along the way. the eseence ofthis trip is to over come the seasons and not avoid them.

and just quickly baltimore jack, i loved every step of the way especially the all the hard times!