PDA

View Full Version : Patagonia Rain Shadow

DirtBagger
10-27-2009, 18:50
:mad:Save your money for something else. Almost two years and nothing but heartache with this jacket. The hood design is impossible to adjust without wearing a ball cap. The water resistant zippers are extremely hard to operate and are not very water resistant after a while - enter the wet belly.
It was fairly breathable for a while - but after the dwr wears off the outer fabric soaks and does not allow passage of perspiration. Also, it takes an abnormal amount of time to dry the outer fabric once it does get soaked(unless ample sunlight is available).

It is a clammy, damp, excuse for a very expensive wind jacket - but it is sold as raingear. Go figure.

Bottom line - never, ever, under any curcumstance use your own money or the money of a friend to purchase raingear that is sold by Patagonia. Instead - get a box of large trash can liners - you'll save money and be much happier. :mad:

My jacket is in the mail on the way to Patagonia - I will report back on their "Iron Clad Warranty".

babbage
10-29-2009, 16:46
I told you so. Even on sale it ended up costing you.

Who's your daddy?

humunuku
10-30-2009, 12:03
i like mine

chknfngrs
10-30-2009, 15:30
If you ordered the jacket blindly online (without seeing it first) I would understand your woes. But if you see/saw the jacket it just doesn't look like it would cut the mustard as a rain jacket. Too soft and porous a material to shed the wet stuff. Just saying.

babbage
10-30-2009, 18:18
If you ordered the jacket blindly online (without seeing it first) I would understand your woes. But if you see/saw the jacket it just doesn't look like it would cut the mustard as a rain jacket. Too soft and porous a material to shed the wet stuff. Just saying.

I hear ya. I've come to discover that some folks consider multiple layers of waterproofing to be better - that is to say a three layer gore-tex product would be much better than a single layer, and so forth. I do not think the H2NO fabric by Patagonia is good as a single layer. From now on I will spend more - as they say -- buy nice or buy twice.

To my defense - this is the first Patagonia product that I have ever been disappointed in, but yes, I did buy it because I trusted the name on the label.

Oops, my bag.

winger
11-01-2009, 15:57
As I just posted on another thread, I have the Patagonia Storm jacket and so far its been excellent.

DirtBagger
11-18-2009, 23:18
My jacket is in the mail on the way to Patagonia - I will report back on their "Iron Clad Warranty".
Today there was a delivery. A replacement jacket and an invoice. No charge.
The iron clad warranty worked for me.
The new design may work better than the old desgin. Water proof zipper on the front has been replaced with a storm flap and operational ykk. The hood is head sized and not helmet sized. Looks good. I have come to the conclusion that a rain jacket is as a good as its dwr coating - expect no more.

alphawolfe
11-19-2009, 09:32
I took mine back to my local outfitter today (where I made the purchase). They are sending it back and will let me know when they get credited from Patagonia. I'm planning on buying a Marmot or Arc'teryx paclite gore-tex jacket with the credit. Should have been smart and bought the higher end stuff the first time around - lesson learned.

The Rain Shadow is a really, really, really bad rain jacket, but it is great to have a company that will stand behind their products. I'll buy Patagonia again - just not their rain gear...

mudhead
11-19-2009, 12:00
IArc'teryx paclite gore-tex jacket

You could post a picture of that. Closest I'll ever get.:)

Patagonia shorts, I can vouch for. If I can ever blow a pair apart, I'll nail em to a tree. They just keep getting softer, and softer. Even if they might be covered by warranty.