PDA

View Full Version : Stealth camping and tent sites in NH

blue_bus
08-15-2004, 02:48
Hi,
I'm going for my first AT hike this coming Sep from Hanover to Monson. I have 2 tent related Q's:
1. Is it legal to camp off the trail? where can I do this?
2. I read somewhere that in the tent sites there are wooden platforms (?!??) This would be a problem for my non free standing tent...can I just camp on the ground?? Would I have trouble with this?

Thanx
-Mike

Mr. Clean
08-15-2004, 07:33
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe these are the rules for camping in the Whites:
1. No camping above treeline, defined by the trees being 8' high.
2. No camping within 1/4 mile of any hut, shelter, or tentsite.
3. No camping within 200' of the trail, beyond 200' okay.

This does leave lots of spots for your setup for the night, if you can find a flat, root-less spot. Thats another reason that I love my hammock!
As far as the tent sites, you can tie off or not to the wooden platforms, but I would imagine that they want you to use the platforms to limit deteriorization of the surrounding area.

veteran
08-15-2004, 10:06
Information at this site:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/white/recreation/land_above/backcountry_rules.html

chomp
08-15-2004, 12:51
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe these are the rules for camping in the Whites:
1. No camping above treeline, defined by the trees being 8' high.
2. No camping within 1/4 mile of any hut, shelter, or tentsite.
3. No camping within 200' of the trail, beyond 200' okay.

The 200 feet from the trail rule applys ONLY in wilderness areas. Otherwise, you can camp right next to the trail. Treeline is defined by the USFS, and some above treeline areas do in fact have trees that are over 8 feet tall. However, in ADDITION to those areas, you must camp in an area where trees are over 8 feet.

Finding campsites in the Whites can be tricky, but don't worry, you'll figure it out. Just start asking people about good places to camp as you get closer to NH and you'll be sure to find plenty of information.

Finally, as for the tent platforms, they are a pain in the butt for a non-free standing tent. If you stay at a designated site, ask the caretaker about the overflow sites. If you explain about your tent, you might be able to camp there, where there are no platforms.

whcobbs
08-16-2004, 11:43
Mike--

Alas, it seems to be defacto AMC policy to convert tent pads to platforms in the Whites and Mahoosucs. Trident col campsite was being converted when I passed through a few weeks ago. I was carrying a poncho tarp and hiking poles and made do using rocks to anchor the tarp to the platforms. However, most of the platforms had screw eyes for tent attachment, usually two eyes to each side. Users of non-free-standing tents can use them effectively, but may need extra line to do so. Nails are forbidden.

Walt

Hi,
I'm going for my first AT hike this coming Sep from Hanover to Monson...
I read somewhere that in the tent sites there are wooden platforms (?!??) This would be a problem for my non free standing tent...can I just camp on the ground?? Would I have trouble with this?

Thanx
-Mike

blue_bus
08-16-2004, 13:34
Thanx for all the helpful advise...I guess I'll just have to wing-it (or maybe do the 100mile wilderness instead...). I hope the caretakers will be friendly and let me put my tent on the ground.

Mike

Peaks
08-16-2004, 16:25
Thanx for all the helpful advise...I guess I'll just have to wing-it (or maybe do the 100mile wilderness instead...). I hope the caretakers will be friendly and let me put my tent on the ground.

Mike

Caretakers are at sites that get heavy use. To minimize impact, they expect tents to go on platforms. Not really that bad. But, if you want to avoid platforms, then just don't plan to stay at established campsites. Instead, ask the caretaker where the overflow sites are, or stealth camp elsewhere. As you hike along, you will see numerous places to camp and not be in violation of the Forest Service camping rules.

Bluebearee
08-16-2004, 17:43
btw, no one has addressed the fact some of these problems are only going to be in the "high peaks" of the Whites. Hanover to Franconia Ridge and after Pinkham is your area of concern re: stealth camping and tent platforms. Yes, there are various platforms scattered about some shelter sites after that (and Trident Col as I see regrettably), but its the above treeline sections that are more limiting. You can still camp between Franconia Notch and Crawford in woodsy places. It is more difficult in Maine to find off trail camping, as our woods are very scrubby and not flat. You'll be fine, enjoy your hike.

TakeABreak
08-16-2004, 18:16
Blue Bus,

It's 4 years since my thru hike, I don't remember exactly where the best spots are to stealth camp, but you will be able to find a place almost anywhere except above tree line for a tent. I f you are using a bivy sack, it is possible above tree line if you get off the main trails and in the big rocks, do not at or after dark, and do not use a flash light. Just, remember stealth means stealth, you will be fine.

TankHiker
08-16-2004, 18:34
If you ask around, you may find some lists of stealth camping spots in the Whites. I think they are not made public because of fear of the AMC. (I really don't think they're illegal spots, but many hikers are a little paranoid of the AMC).

Anyway, I obtained one of these lists last year. It was fairly helpful as a back-up. Although, we didn't have much trouble finding stealth spots in the Whites, with or without the lists.

-Tank

Peaks
08-17-2004, 07:49
If you ask around, you may find some lists of stealth camping spots in the Whites. I think they are not made public because of fear of the AMC. (I really don't think they're illegal spots, but many hikers are a little paranoid of the AMC).

Anyway, I obtained one of these lists last year. It was fairly helpful as a back-up. Although, we didn't have much trouble finding stealth spots in the Whites, with or without the lists.

-Tank

It's not the AMC that is the enforcer. It's the US Forest Service.

Peaks
08-17-2004, 07:53
By the way, the Camping Regulations also state no camping (except at shelters) within 200 feet of the AT between the Connecticut River (Hanover) and summit of Moosilauke. This entire section is maintained by Dartmouth Outing Club, not AMC.

The 200 feet restriction does not apply north of Moosilauke.

TankHiker
08-17-2004, 09:51
It's not the AMC that is the enforcer. It's the US Forest Service.True. But many thru-hikers are paranoid about the AMC. :D

They are afraid the AMC will sabotage all the stealth sites so the hikers will have to stay at the pay sites. I think that's nonsense, but many hikers think that way.

-Tank

Lone Wolf
08-17-2004, 09:54
Hell I used to just bed down right outsde the huts after dark. There's a big clump of bushes in front of Madison one can crawl into and never be seen.

Jack Tarlin
08-18-2004, 13:29
Tank--

On three occasions, I have actually seen AMC employees (Ridgerunners, Hut or Lodge Staff) in the process of dismantling stealth sites and then piling up brush and downed logs in order to make them uninhabitable. I am NOT saying that this is done in order to make folks stay at the Club's paid locations; I suspect that there are probably many reasons for this policy.

But it is neither paranoid nor is it nonsense to spend time wondering how the AMC feels about "stealth sites." They clearly don't like them, and some of their employees do, on occasion, go looking for them in order to get rid of them.

rickb
08-18-2004, 19:26
How close were these "Stealth Sites" from the trail?

Don't tell me, Ithink already know.

Rick B

sleeveless
08-18-2004, 22:27
Yesterday I did a day hike on the Kinsmans. A forest service employee went by me but we chatted for a minute. He had a tall funny lookng pole in his pack. He said he was looking for campsites. I asked what they did when they found one. He said he gets a gps reading for its location and then they decide if it should be enhenced, or closed or just left alone. On top of S. Kinsman he was checking all around.

Sleeveless

Peaks
08-19-2004, 09:36
How close were these "Stealth Sites" from the trail?

Don't tell me, Ithink already know.

Rick B

Rick, it depends on how you define stealth. Some are right on the trail, and very obvious. Go up the Nineteen Mile Brook Trail to the intersection with the Wildcat Trail, and they are right alongside the intersection there.

sgtjinx
08-19-2004, 13:44
How much do they charge for camping there in NH? :-?

ripple
08-19-2004, 14:30
At the AMC sites wether at the platforms or over flow sites, as of last fall, it was 8 dollars a head.