PDA

View Full Version : Recommended 3-5 day hike near Maryland

jmisen32
10-27-2009, 22:11
I am planning to hike part of the Appalachian Trail in or around Maryland. Basically somewhere that only takes a couple hours to get to from Annapolis, Maryland.

What is a good 3-5 day hike? Looking for something away from cities and towns with good views, maybe some possible waterfalls, lakes or rivers and not extremely easy hiking.

All of these requirements might not be possible, but the most information you have will help!

Sorry I’m asking so much! I figure it’s best to hear from someone who has experienced it or knows more!

Thanks a bunch!

Jack Tarlin
10-27-2009, 22:56
I'd have someone drop you off at Pen Mar Park, at the Pennsylvania/Maryland State Line (which is actually a few minutes walk North on the A.T. from the Park itself).

You could then walk South back to Harpers Ferry WV, and thus hike the entire Maryland section of the Trail.

This would be very easy to accomplish in 3-5 days, with plenty of great places to camp along the way.

(And that last day back to the Potomac River is considerably easier in a southbound direction, too!)

Hooch
10-27-2009, 22:59
I gotta agree with Jack. I'm doing this section next week with my girlfriend and we're totally looking forward to it. Hopefully, a good trip report with plenty of pics will be up by this time next week. :D

Hooch
10-27-2009, 23:10
.......a good trip report with plenty of pics will be up by this time next week. :DSorry, in 2 weeks. Hiking next week. Oh come, sweet vacation, come. :D

harryfred
10-28-2009, 01:39
Penn Marr to Harpers is an easy three day hike. want four start in Caledonia PA, five start in Pine Grove Furnace PA. When you get to HF go to the Secret Six and have a beer and a burger.:D:banana

jmisen32
10-28-2009, 02:45
Thank you all so much! Looks like this may be the one we'll go on. We're not going until June next year but my boyfriend is in Annapolis and I'm in Houston, TX so we're starting to plan now!

Hooch, I hope y'all have a wonderful trip! Let me know when you get your pictures and trip report up! I'll be interested!

Everyone else that reads this can keep recommending!